Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Using a non-kosher kitchen - tips / best practices

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 7:18 pm
We're staying at my in-laws' house for a few weeks (non-kosher kitchen), and it's been a while since we've done kosher in a non-kosher kitchen. We're bringing all our own pots, utensils, measuring cups, cutting boards, paper dishes, etc. Also bringing our own toaster. We'll also bring out own dish scrubbers / sponges, etc.

We'll either cook on the stovetop using our pots, or in their oven (which we're going to kasher because they don't cook much).

Can you let me know if any tips that I may be forgetting for how not to treyf up our pots and utensils?

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 7:24 pm
I highly recommend to bring an inserter for the sink and lots of foil, and to treat it like pesachdike kitchen. To put inserters in the sink, kasher oven and stovetop, cover everything up with foil. That‘s not the biggest problem. The bigger problem is how to avoid that they cook in their kitchen

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 7:27 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I highly recommend to bring an inserter for the sink and lots of foil, and to treat it like pesachdike kitchen. To put inserters in the sink, kasher oven and stovetop, cover everything up with foil. That‘s not the biggest problem. The bigger problem is how to avoid that they cook in their kitchen

They will be cooking limitedly in their kitchen while we're there. We cant just cover all the shelves and countertops with foil. Might be able to get a shelve or two with foil, though.

Dumb question perhaps, but do we really need an inserter for the sink if we make sure not to put anything hot down in the sink? What we've done in the past is just to use cold water to cool hot pots down on both sides, touch them to see if they're not hot and then put them directly into the sink. Is this fine?

Frumme

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 7:50 pm
#1 tip-- wash everything cold. Don't put dirty things into the sink, place on the countertop or in a bin next to the sink. Air wash everything.

Utilize a lot of kitchen towels. Use them as trivets, mitts, etc.

Pick one taam. Really. It makes things a thousand times easier. If you must, have a knife and panini press for the other taam.

Also remember that you probably can't use their spices (or anything else that they may have put over something steaming hot).

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 7:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They will be cooking limitedly in their kitchen while we're there. We cant just cover all the shelves and countertops with foil. Might be able to get a shelve or two with foil, though.

Dumb question perhaps, but do we really need an inserter for the sink if we make sure not to put anything hot down in the sink? What we've done in the past is just to use cold water to cool hot pots down on both sides, touch them to see if they're not hot and then put them directly into the sink. Is this fine?
I just hate air washing as I am afraid that I“ll drop it so I always use an inserter. They are cheap and also collapsible, don‘t take up any space at all

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 7:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

cover with foil - I meant the countertops only, would‘t even bother with shelves
I‘d cover up the extractor (or how do you call it), too

tichellady

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 9:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It’s fine

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 10:23 am
You have to wash out the oven before you kasher. The door and around the door don’t get kashered.

Bring boxes of disposable plastic tablecloths to cover the counter and table.
Don’t bring dishes and silverware aside for a few to use if you’re cooking/ serving something. Everything else should be disposable.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 10:54 am
IMNSHO, I'd buy a couple of cheap pots and pans to avoid risks to your good stuff. Found this with a fast google search. https://www.amazon.com/Nonstic.....29852

See if you can find these for the counters, then dispose after use. https://www.amazon.com/eDayDea.....8DS1W (I love them for packaging Pesach meat for the freezer, before Pesach)

Double wrap in the oven, of course.

I would use a sink insert. Then again, I used one even before I became kosher. Just in case.

ggdm

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:32 am
Do your in-laws understand that they cannot touch your stuff? I have had my MIL "help" me by putting all my things into her dishwasher...

In my experience, the hardest is to keep everything separate. The rest is straight forward for me, usually, because I take extra care with everything I do, which is automatic because of the unknown environment. I have never done this for more than a few days, though.

I have at my in-laws a pot, a pan, cutting board, knife, cutlery, plates, a few bowls, a few plastic containers, a hand mixer (English?), a sponge. I use a cupboard outside of the kitchen for all my stuff. I do dishes in the air. I have considered a few times to buy a microwave only for me, because it is easier than to kasher a stove and oven. We are going there a few times a year, but only for a few days. So very simple food or even mostly cold things is ok for the time.

Edit: I only do dairy, it would be too hard to have one more set than can be mixed up.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:50 am
Honestly, I would just use a toaster oven and a George Foreman grill. I wouldn’t start cooking in a non kosher kitchen. I just bought an electric hot water pot to use when traveling. It was $17.99. Now we can have coffee, hot cocoa, oatmeal, noodle soup when we are staying in non kosher accommodations.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 12:19 pm
You don’t need to cover the counter. If it’s clean and cold, you could put your plate right in it.
Wash with cold water. Use a basin for soapy and a basin for rinse.
It’s not complicated and is easier than pesach.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 12:27 pm
Bring foil trays , double wrap your food and you can use the oven even if it's not kasher.
Try to eat food that doesn't need to be cooked and that's cold so that there are no problems.
Bring disposables.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 10:37 pm
A Betty Crocker pizza maker can do most of your cooking. Line it with baking paper and clean up is minimal. Worth to invest for such an occasion.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 10:38 pm
Maybe as a precaution u can close the hot water under the sink temporarily, So that it never by mistake becomes an issue.

shirachadasha

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 10:48 pm
Will you have access to a mikva when you're there? If not, be sure to toivel any items needing tevila before you leave home.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen