Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
When the "entire" class is going to Florida...
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 6:37 pm
According to my 9 year old. Lol, it's probably about 1/4 of the class, but many of her friends. How do I help my child not feel (too) jealous??

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 6:42 pm
Do something else interesting. It won't be the same, but hopefully it will be distracting and you'll be forming your own memories.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 6:44 pm
This is a great chinuch opportunity...believe me, it won't be the last time "everyone" is doing something.

hoboken

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 6:46 pm
Feeling jealous is a very normal part of life. We have the same issue here. We talk about how yes it seems like everyone else left town, and we’re jealous and it’s difficult for us. But then we specifically talk about the wonderful trips we have taken and all the other brachos in our lives and how we appreciate all that we have. I specifically pointed out a few trips that we’ve done that not “everyone” has done too. Life isn’t fair and while that’s tough to accept, it’s an important life lesson. But talk about it and let him acknowledge his feelings. It’s normal to feel jealous. But teach gratitude too!

shmosmom

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 6:46 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
This is a great chinuch opportunity...believe me, it won't be the last time "everyone" is doing something.

I don't think now is a great time to use this as a chinuch opportunity, especially for a 9 year old. I would just do empathy, not teaching.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 6:49 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
I don't think now is a great time to use this as a chinuch opportunity, especially for a 9 year old. I would just do empathy, not teaching.

Chinuch is done according to the child. It doesn't necessarily mean lecturing, it means helping kids to be resilient and realize, in a positive way, that they don't have to be the same as everyone else. Yes, it starts at age 9 and even earlier. Again, gently and according to the child's capability.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 6:52 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:

It’s not about making a lecture. It’s about giving your child the tools to deal with situations like this. Here’s an opportunity to work through it.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 6:57 pm
Bh a thousand times our school has a rule against going to Florida.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 6:58 pm
My husband wanted to go. All his friends are going lol. I don't want to fly now. I just know we would be that obviously religious family getting kicked off the plane. A handful of kids all very close in age and under 5. Nope. No way. Not me.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 6:58 pm
Dd was similarly upset. There really are a lot of people- the tickets are really cheap. We talked about how all of these people either need to quarantine for at least a week afterwards or had covid and were stuck at home for weeks then. The pros and cons are pretty stark right now. I even asked her what she would choose if she could, and she admitted it would be a hard decision, and that she'd probably choose to go but then regret it afterward.

I'm also making an extra effort to do at least one thing big enough to be considered a real thing.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 7:02 pm
It's hard. Because depending on which school and where you live is a big percentage. Really every family does what is best for them and what they can afford and what they are able to do. Not everyone does the same thing all the time. Last year by break I brought my children down to Florida to visit my grandparents. It was cold. And all we did was sit in my grandparents apartment spending time with them. It's not always fun and exciting things. Happens to be there is lots of people here this year because of covid Bec flights are cheap.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 7:31 pm
Well, even I as a mature adult am struggling with this feeling. My sister goes on vacation every year. She usually goes to Israel, this year she went to Florida. While we didn't go anywhere for the last few years (due to lack of financial means), I also feel desperate for a getaway. I even took her son while she was away. I will be honest and tell you that I am jealous, I want to go too.
Even though its not everyone, When I hear of another friend going on vacation, I do feel jealous as well... I am human and it hurts.
My son was complaining that many of his friends went to American Dream during their vacation and we didn't do anything. I think its ok that he is learning early in life that not everything in life goes the way we want.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 7:34 pm
I teach9 yo girls.
10% off the class is going to Florida (I.e. 2 kids), but they talk about it a lot

The other girls are going to bubbies, cousins, or nowhere.

I would say to try to do fun things at home.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 7:43 pm
I hope this year less kids are going.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 7:53 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
I hope this year less kids are going.

I know but I think more are, figuring cheap flights.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 8:08 pm
My neighbor taught me this tip. When you kid comes home and days "everyone ", ask them to name 5 kids. It works.

All kids wants to do something fun during their vacation. They want to have something to share with their friends.

Find something local to do. That's what we do.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 8:20 pm
I can’t believe this is going on during the pandemic. Wow. I really wanted to visit my married children but didn’t go because I need to fly to a different state. How is this even real?

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 8:36 pm
Do you take your kids on vacation at all? Personally, I don't go away during the winter vacation with my kids. I do go away at other points during the year with them, so they really don't make a big deal by midwinter vacation. Two of my kids off today, they just came to work with me and did nothing. I did end up taking them out for lunch. On Sunday, when we're all off I took them on a small trip.
Every family needs to do what's good for them. It does happen to be, that many many many people went to Florida this year due to the cheap flights.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 8:37 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I can’t believe this is going on during the pandemic. Wow. I really wanted to visit my married children but didn’t go because I need to fly to a different state. How is this even real?

Everyone has to make a decision that works for them. I’m sorry you can’t go see your children. That must be really hard. 🤗

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 8:52 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

I'll be dlkz that many of the people going had it already, are going to family, etc. Then I'll fargin the rest.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children