Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do you call it supper or dinner?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

What do you call the last meal of the day?
Dinner  
 26%  [ 84 ]
Supper  
 73%  [ 229 ]
Total Votes : 313

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 4:33 pm
Noticed that my BT friends call it dinner, and I, along with all my ffb friends, call it supper. This always made me think in the secular American world it is more commonly called dinner?

I must add my pet peeve to this thread: calling sweatshirts "sweaters." When I was growing up we all called fleece lined hoodies and pullovers "sweatshirts" (as in "all the dance heads got a cute sweatshirt after the production"). We called more formal knitted cardigans and pullovers "sweaters" (as in "a sweater is what you put on when your mother is cold."). My kids and heir friends call it ALL "sweaters." Why? Are sweatshirts not refined enough sounding? How are we supposed to differentiate? This is Lakewood

number

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 6:37 pm
Raisin wrote:
We love beans on toast here. It can be breakfast, lunch or supper. Smile

In Britain (and Ireland, according to this article https://www.theguardian.com/li.....inner) it really depends on class.

Breakfast - everyone eats this
Elevenses - a bit old fashioned. People in books do it. Now you just go to starbucks.
Midday meal is lunch (luncheon) or dinner. We did have school dinners now that I think of it. It was a cooked 3 course meal. Soup, main and dessert. We actually had the the most amazing cook, some of the best food I have ever eaten in my life. Although I do remember having an arguement with a prefect about not eating my tomato and rice soup. (my school was quite aspirational in that way; we had prefects, a head girl, houses with colours. Lol.)

(Afternoon)Tea - eaten at 4pm. People might do this on shabbos afternoon. Not really done so much nowadays although its a fun simcha format. I am often served tea on airlines.

Dinner, supper or tea. Dinner is a formal meal as I said, served in the dining room, multi course. Supper is a less formal evening meal, traditionally eaten by upper/middle class people very late at night, but nowadays at the regular time any evening when they are not having a formal meal. Mosly eaten in the kitchen. Lower class people have tea. (from high tea - which is tea eaten at about 6 pm but with cooked food in addition to the tea and cakes. People who had to work didn't have time to sit around and drink tea in the afternoon)

You didn’t say anything about pudding. The ladies in the uk mom group were complaining that their child’s nursery was serving unhealthy pudding. Is that a separate snack? Dessert?

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 7:33 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
It’s not socially awkward....unless you’re joking?

It’s not socially awkward per se but “supper” does sound odd to the ears of many Americans these days.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics