Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o Florida... where are the cheap flights?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 8:53 pm
Where are the cheap flights everyone is talking about?
I saw flights that were cheap but would charge for every single piece of luggage (carry on etc), I think even for a car seat or stroller and by the time we would add it all up it would be $200 a person approximately. From NJ

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 9:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Where are the cheap flights everyone is talking about?
I saw flights that were cheap but would charge for every single piece of luggage (carry on etc), I think even for a car seat or stroller and by the time we would add it all up it would be $200 a person approximately. From NJ

Yes it's not as cheap as it sounds. Adding in fees and parking plus hotels makes it more expensive

qwerty4

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 9:17 pm
Flying with spirit is the cheap route that ends up being expensive. Stick to airlines like AA and JetBlue where you get the carryon included. I booked for a weekend and got 118 for two people round trip. If you are flexible with the dates and times, you can find some good deals.

flmommy

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 9:19 pm
I think the cheap cheap flights are over. People are traveling again.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 9:19 pm
Depends when you go. I know ppl who paid 50-60 round trip. I booked for chol hamoed and second days pesach and paid 110 but was hard to find (including carry ons)

nycgal

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 9:24 pm
If you have a United credit card each passenger gets a checked bag.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 9:30 pm
My daughter just flew. Under 90 round trip. Purchased tickets a few weeks ago.

Flying united one way and American the other.

No checked bags. Handbag, knapsack plus a small bag with food for the plane. Not staying for shabbos.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 9:36 pm
Also keep in mind it’s mid winter vacation and yeshiva week in many schools this week and next and Presidents’ Day second weekend in feb. if your flexible with dates and times you can get for 100 round trip

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 9:55 pm
I paid $40 at United round trip. Did not get carry on, our family of 4 squeezed into one suitcase for those 4 days, and we paid for that one suitcase.
Everything else adds up though. Hotels, car rental, food, cab to the airport, etc. Some people use points for hotels.

silverlining3

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 10:19 pm
I think it was JetBlue that had very cheap tickets, around $50 a round trip, a few weeks ago, including a carryon. It started going up already.

ETA Today in the morning AA had tickets for $86 including carryon. Check it out.

Last edited by silverlining3 on Mon, Jan 25 2021, 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

mommybrr

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 10:49 pm
Frontier has cheap tickets but you need flexibility with times and also try smaller further airports- not EWR-MIA. try Philly or Trenton and Tampa or another not as popular destination right now in Florida and drive a little further once you get there.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:04 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I paid $40 at United round trip. Did not get carry on, our family of 4 squeezed into one suitcase for those 4 days, and we paid for that one suitcase.
Everything else adds up though. Hotels, car rental, food, cab to the airport, etc. Some people use points for hotels.

That drives me nuts! Everyone loves to brag how they got $20 tickets and don't mention everything else they're spending on!!! Going to Florida is not cheap!!!
I'm sure it's nice if you can afford it but I wish ppl would stop bragging about the "almost free" tickets they got! Rolling Eyes
(And you forgot to mention activities...)

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:05 pm
Tickets were really cheap a few weeks ago. Now they’re starting to go up again

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:20 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
That drives me nuts! Everyone loves to brag how they got $20 tickets and don't mention everything else they're spending on!!! Going to Florida is not cheap!!!
I'm sure it's nice if you can afford it but I wish ppl would stop bragging about the "almost free" tickets they got! Rolling Eyes
(And you forgot to mention activities...)

It can be cheap compared to going other places. I have a place to stay so dont pay for that. I pay flights, car, and activities, food. Food basically cook our own, maybe go out one time. When with kids I dont usually. Activities include very quiet beach one day usually and house has a pool. I like to rent a boat so we do that one day (usually most expensive day), I find one other cheaper activity to do sometimes. Car costs what it costs, I try to book early for a better deal.
I am going pesach with my family (6 ppl). Flights were 550. Car 250. At the end will cost 1500 probaly with activities and food and extras. That's not too bad for a vacation for a week for my whole family in my opinion. Usually hotel/house is most expensive part of the trip.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:27 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
It can be cheap compared to going other places. I have a place to stay so dont pay for that. I pay flights, car, and activities, food. Food basically cook our own, maybe go out one time. When with kids I dont usually. Activities include very quiet beach one day usually and house has a pool. I like to rent a boat so we do that one day (usually most expensive day), I find one other cheaper activity to do sometimes. Car costs what it costs, I try to book early for a better deal.
I am going pesach with my family (6 ppl). Flights were 550. Car 250. At the end will cost 1500 probaly with activities and food and extras. That's not too bad for a vacation for a week for my whole family in my opinion. Usually hotel/house is most expensive part of the trip.

This plus car service to airport both ways or pay for parking !
Most ppl do pay for lodgings plus all of the above and brag about the cheap tickets!! LOL

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:35 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
This plus car service to airport both ways or pay for parking !
Most ppl do pay for lodgings plus all of the above and brag about the cheap tickets!! LOL

I drive my own car to the airport woth off airport parking. Gonna cost me $50 about.
Yes paying for somewhere to stay can cost a lot depending on time of year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics