Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
When the "entire" class is going to Florida...
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 9:00 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
I hope this year less kids are going.

Actually, way way more people are going this year. Florida never had such a crazy busy mid winter season as this year. I went to the mikva and it was empty, there's usually a full parking lot. I started thinking that maybe they're closed. I asked the secretary how come it's so quiet, she said probably because everyone is in Florida.

ImmaBubby

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 9:28 pm
Hope the rules about going down to Miami work out for you better than rules about wearing masks. Sad

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 9:40 pm
I gave my kids a choice we can do florida by staying in a cheap hotel that has free breakfast and just going to beach with cover ups or swim in hotel pool and that's it I don't drive so I told them I'm not taking them anywhere else they opted to stay home instead and do fun things here.
I have a huge list of fun cheap or free things to do locally and I think they will have a better time at home just chilling and doing some fun activities than making it work in a hotel and at a crowded beach. I don't believe in doing what's best for the rest I believe in what's best for my kids. It's not always easy to travel and the kids kvetch no matter where you go or what you do so just make the best of it. Honestly I wish all the schools would have a rule against florida it's a bit much for those that can't afford it and it kind of gets shoved at all the kids that stay home. I gave my daughter a suggestion to get up in front of class and announce a fun trip for all kids that are staying home this way they can all get together and have a great time. I think it's a wonderful idea, I remember that the school I went to always planned trips for the girls as not everyone went away and parents do work. I think it's a great idea for each school to plan two exciting trips for those that are here and not in Florida. Or maybe all the schools should plan a trip to Florida so nobody is left out instead of the crazy expensive Shabbatons they could do florida for the same cost Smile.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 10:20 pm
sorry to go slightly off topic but can somebody please answer these questions for me..I have lived in the US for almost 20 years and have never been to Florida. and my kids say that everyone goes there every winter.
Why does everyone go to Florida in the winter? is it because it's warmer? how come it's become a thing? and what do people do there? and if you are going to beaches, isnt that a pritzus problem?

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 10:20 pm
I tell them we are going to have more fun locally. Just because “everybody “ is doing something doesn’t make it a good choice for us. Florida will be way overcrowded this year. It seems more people are going there for midwinter break than ever before. Besides u need to quarantine after and some schools are requiring testing. It’s truly not worth the hassle.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 10:22 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
sorry to go slightly off topic but can somebody please answer these questions for me..I have lived in the US for almost 20 years and have never been to Florida. and my kids say that everyone goes there every winter.
Why does everyone go to Florida in the winter? is it because it's warmer? how come it's become a thing? and what do people do there? and if you are going to beaches, isnt that a pritzus problem?

It's warm, it's beautiful, and it's full of shuls and kosher restaurants. If you want to go to the beach you can go early morning or evening.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 10:23 pm
I've never been to Florida.

I don't like beaches, but I really want to go because I just want a little bit of summer now! Winter is too long and too cold.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 10:33 pm
[quote="amother [ Ruby ]"]I gave my kids a choice we can do florida by staying in a cheap hotel that has free breakfast and just going to beach with cover ups or swim in hotel pool and that's it I don't drive so I told them I'm not taking them anywhere else they opted to stay home instead and do fun things here.
I have a huge list of fun cheap or free things to do locally

Are you in Brooklyn? Can you post your free ideas?

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 10:57 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

Its warm, not to expensive, easy short flight, kosher restaurants, shuls, beach, lots of attractions. That's basically why ppl go. I am.going pesach this year and not gonna cost me a lot since I have a free place to stay there with a pool and beach is 5 minutes away. Easy fun trip for us and kids get to go away.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 10:58 pm
Someone I know is vacationing in Florida! They got really cheap tickets but now her dd got covid so they found another rental to quarantine an extra week before going home...

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:00 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I can’t believe this is going on during the pandemic. Wow. I really wanted to visit my married children but didn’t go because I need to fly to a different state. How is this even real?

People that are going probably had the virus already. The pandemic is already almost a year old. Cheap tickets and the beach..... what’s wrong with that?

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:03 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Bh a thousand times our school has a rule against going to Florida.

That is not an appropriate rule for the school to have, and it's one thing to be jealous and another thing to take away from others.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:06 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
That is not an appropriate rule for the school to have, and it's one thing to be jealous and another thing to take away from others.

My daughter's school officially has this rule. (Only about mid winter officially) I ask before going honestly every time I go and they never gave me an issue. They know at this point that we go each year. Most schools just don't want kids hanging out on beach etc. I dont go during mid winter though...usually yom tov time.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:17 pm

They're not taking away anything. Most people that send to the school are in line with the schools hashkafa and don't need the school to have a rule not to take the kids to Florida, most wouldn't take regardless. It's not in line with our hashkafa for girls to hang out at a pritzus beach. The rule came to happen because afew families extended the midwinter vacation & took the kids to Florida. We usually have 2 days off and they extended the break.
By having a no Florida rule, they're killing 2 birds with one stone. Many schools and yeshiva's have this rule.
I think it pays to have this rule just for the peer pressure alone.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:18 pm
If they're not taking away anything, they wouldn't have to have that rule. And Florida is not a beach. It has beaches. There is a difference.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:20 pm
If they're not taking away anything, they wouldn't have to have that rule. And Florida is not a beach. It has beaches. There is a difference.

And I'm assuming this school is in NY or NJ which have beaches too..

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:21 pm

Most people that go to Florida go to the beach. I don't feel like they're taking anything away because I anyways don't take my kids to Florida. The rule is for the real minority, a handful of families that do.
If someone asks permission to go for Pesach to Orlando, yes, the school would generally give them the ok. Miami, probably not.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:22 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
And I'm assuming this school is in NY or NJ which have beaches too..

My kids were never at a beach. And I don't think people in NY/NJ just hang at the beach in the summer.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:23 pm
I've also witnessed plenty at restaurants in Miami which I wouldn't want my kids exposed to either.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:28 pm
[quote="amother [ Lawngreen ]"]
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I gave my kids a choice we can do florida by staying in a cheap hotel that has free breakfast and just going to beach with cover ups or swim in hotel pool and that's it I don't drive so I told them I'm not taking them anywhere else they opted to stay home instead and do fun things here.
I have a huge list of fun cheap or free things to do locally

Are you in Brooklyn? Can you post your free ideas?

yes, please! my son only has off Friday through Monday so I told him I would take him to the city on Monday but nothing is open (FYI Ripley's is open but we've been there recently)! Even places that are open during Corona, like some museums, are closed on Mondays, so I would also really appreciate any ideas!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children