Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
When the "entire" class is going to Florida...
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 8:32 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I've also witnessed plenty at restaurants in Miami which I wouldn't want my kids exposed to either.

I barely take my kids out to eat. they have never been to a Miami restaurant or Miami Beach and I have been to florida many times. We always stay in a house with our own pool and there is a super quiet beach 5 minutes away I go to. You dont need to go to miami or even orlando to be in florida and have a great time.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 8:35 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
I barely take my kids out to eat. they have never been to a Miami restaurant or Miami Beach and I have been to florida many times. We always stay in a house with our own pool and there is a super quiet beach 5 minutes away I go to. You dont need to go to miami or even orlando to be in florida and have a great time.

Right. Me and most people that send to the school don't have a problem with this rule and we don't even need this rule. People that generally have a problem with such a rule, send to schools that don't have this rule.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 9:41 pm
When I was in elementary school I nudged my mother about going to florida

She took me to Sloane K to visit sick children

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 6:29 am
flowerpower wrote:
People that are going probably had the virus already. The pandemic is already almost a year old. Cheap tickets and the beach..... what’s wrong with that?

Ummmmm...is it really that hard to see why its not a good idea?

You really expect me to beleive that " everyone " is going and those without antibodies are not?

Im noticing how this works it starts off with " we MUST open schools and business" and it doesn't take long until a florida vacation is a must also.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 6:33 am
everyone make your own best decision and allow others to make theirs

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 6:38 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
My kids were never at a beach. And I don't think people in NY/NJ just hang at the beach in the summer.

So why are people who don't go to the beach in NY going to the beach in FL?

I'm very interested to know what you witnessed in restaurants there that you wouldn't witness elsewhere.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 6:50 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
So why are people who don't go to the beach in NY going to the beach in FL?

I'm very interested to know what you witnessed in restaurants there that you wouldn't witness elsewhere.

This and this.

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 12:10 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Ummmmm...is it really that hard to see why its not a good idea?

You really expect me to beleive that " everyone " is going and those without antibodies are not?

Im noticing how this works it starts off with " we MUST open schools and business" and it doesn't take long until a florida vacation is a must also.

I know plenty of people going to Florida...they have antibodies. Where I live just about everyone got sick right after Purim and the rest got sick around Yom Kippur. Flights are cheap and people need a break.

ImmaBubby

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 12:29 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
I know plenty of people going to Florida...they have antibodies. Where I live just about everyone got sick right after Purim and the rest got sick around Yom Kippur. Flights are cheap and people need a break.

And they know that they have antibodies because.....

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 12:35 pm
They tested for them:)

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 12:35 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
They tested for them:)

When?

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 12:38 pm
The schools here in Lakewood test occasionally. Adults I know test every so often in the urgent care centers before they fly or go see high risk people. All the tests are free here (not so in every state.)

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 12:41 pm
Since there is another thread going on about a teen who is stuck in FL needing to quarantine (and her host family isn't letting her go back with them) I will assume that no, not everyone who traveled there has antibodies or has been tested recently.

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 12:47 pm
I understand. Nevertheless, the people that I know who are going did test. I'm not defending nameless faceless people out there in the ether.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 12:49 pm
We've done Florida over winter break before but usually after yeshiva week. I travel to Orlando for a work convention every January for a week and I tend to have the hubby and kids come for shabbos and a week of vacation. We rent a private house with a pool, in a gated community, cook our own meals and hit Busch Gardens, Crayola, etc. We avoid Disney (not fans of the mouse here) and just do our own thing. Motzei shabbos golfing, seeing crocodiles, etc. Kids enjoy it and the cost is nominal compared to our real vacations. We skipped this year because my work convention was put on hold till May. I happen to loathe Florida. Too touristy and kosher restaurants get packed, especially before COVID. We do an annual Bahamas vacation every summer that's a blast and I enjoy it so much more. The kids do too. This year, we're in our vacation house in Pennsylvania and just enjoying the snow, having lazy mornings, etc. We don't really follow the flow of what others do in life. It's always what do we feel like doing as a family. This year, we wanted to enjoy some winter sports and stay local so we did. I've no idea what other kids in my children's classes are doing. I don't really care. My kids are happy, healthy and having fun. Winter break shouldn't be a competition. Every family is unique, from a socioeconomic and emotional perspective. I can't deal with yeshiva week in Florida. It isn't relaxing and parenting in another state is still parenting (meltdowns and all). Do what works for your family and forget what other kids are doing. Good for them. Better for you...

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 1:36 pm
If interested, this week's headlines halacha talkshow is abt spending ribs of money on vacations if neighbours can't afford

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 2:51 pm
Don't assume going to Miami means you have money. We have enough points for flights, hotel and car rental so a trip would be pretty cheap. Wish we could've done it.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 2:53 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
sorry to go slightly off topic but can somebody please answer these questions for me..I have lived in the US for almost 20 years and have never been to Florida. and my kids say that everyone goes there every winter.
Why does everyone go to Florida in the winter? is it because it's warmer? how come it's become a thing? and what do people do there? and if you are going to beaches, isnt that a pritzus problem?

You can find empty beaches during off times. Imo the beaches are beautiful and it's an opportunity to appreciate one of Hashem's gifts.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children