Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Newborn only wants to be held
Previous  1  2

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 10:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Every 2.5 to 3 Hrs. Not a FTM. my first had reflux and would always burp and spit up right before the next feeding.

In my opinion that’s not often enough. 2 hours is the longest you should go if your baby wants to eat. If he’s not hungry and gaining weight then maybe he can go longer. But acting fussy and rooting (moving his mouth like he’s searching for a nipple) within 1.5-2 hours usually means hunger.

I recommend you learn the baby languages to figure out what his cries mean.
I can’t remember what you should google maybe someone else knows and can point you in the right direction.
Basically you learn the difference between different crying sounds and it tells you what your baby wants. It really works.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:56 am
I agree, you should be feeding more often if he's showing signs of hunger. Every baby is different and it's extremely common to feed every two hours.

sheifelah

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 1:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 2 week old only wants to be held. He's constantly crying and unhappy. I think he has reflux because he throws his back out and sddms uncomfortable. The last 2 days he's been spitting up more. He's on gentle ease formula. Which bottle would you suggest for him? He always gives me a "hungry look" but I don't want to just feed him because he's crying. Would you continue to hold him or let him soothe himself? Any other advice?

you could get yourself a baby carrier. maybe he needs extra burping? hatzlacha!! I hope he feels good soon!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 2:11 pm
I asked the pediatrician and he said I should get him on a 3 hour feeding schedule during the day. Makes sense because he's spitting up a lot

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 2:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I asked the pediatrician and he said I should get him on a 3 hour feeding schedule during the day. Makes sense because he's spitting up a lot

Spitting up could mean overfeeding and it can also mean reflux.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 3:24 pm
In my experience pediatricians aren't always the most experienced with these things . My pediatrician also told me to get my ( preemie ) on a three hour schedule so he wasn't " snacking " . He was miserable with this advice . He had reflux and once I started feeding him every 1.5 or 2 hours he was much more comfortable. It's very common for babies with reflux or who spit up often to be more comfy when fed smaller meals more often versus bigger meals more spread out .

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 5:59 pm
After 2 hours from the last feed my lo was screaming so I nursed him. He didn't want to latch on and kept screaming. He ended up spitting up all over. And after the spit up he still kept screaming. He endef up spitting up and burping more. He barely ate but now he's content after the burps. So confused

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 6:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
After 2 hours from the last feed my lo was screaming so I nursed him. He didn't want to latch on and kept screaming. He ended up spitting up all over. And after the spit up he still kept screaming. He endef up spitting up and burping more. He barely ate but now he's content after the burps. So confused

A baby who doesn't want to latch is not ready to eat. It sounds like he was crying from discomfort. Are you able to get a couple of burps out with each feeding?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 6:20 pm
He burps but after eating very little and then doesn't want to continue eating. He's. screaming again now in pain.

monkeyland

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 6:20 pm
Following

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 7:37 pm
Is he constipated? At that age my kids all need a thermometer up their rectum and they felt much better afterwards.
I don't know how much of his diet is formula but I switched my bottle fed baby from gentlease to Target brand gentle formula and she was lot less fussy on it.

tichellady

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 7:39 pm
It’s normal for a newborn to want to be held all the time. I agree with the other advice about seeing a pediatric gi if you are worried about reflux

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 8:25 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
All my newborns wanted to be held all the time, I used a carrier.

Mine too.
All. The. Time.
It’s almost like I’m pregnant for two years per baby first ten months inside then outside that’s how I feel lol

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 3:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He burps but after eating very little and then doesn't want to continue eating. He's. screaming again now in pain.

Sounds like reflux.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics