Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
14 yr old daughter stuck in Orlando due to COVID
  1  2  3  15  16  17  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 7:42 am
Hi everyone!

One of my kids (14 yrs old) just tested positive for COVID. At the same time, her twin sister is on a trip to Orlando with family friends. She was due to come home tomorrow, but now can't get on a plane because she was exposed to her sister before leaving on the trip.

We thought about picking her up, but it's officially illegal for us to drive too, and for her (and us now) to go into rest areas, hotels, etc. We are also scared that we may come down with symptoms while we drive and then be totally stranded...

On the other hand, we have nobody in Orlando and obviously can't leave her there to quarantine alone....Not sure regarding length of time yet because the daughter that's positive had a cold for a week prior to losing her sense of smell, so could be we are already partially done with the quarantine...

But in any case, we are looking for a family who already had COVID and who could possibly take my daughter in for quarantine until she or we are able to travel...It would have to be fairly close to Orlando because we would have to get her there somehow...

Or, we were thinking if anyone flew in from NY on a private plane, perhaps they can fly her home. Does anyone know of anyone like that?

If you have any other ideas for what we can do, please let me know. Please PM me if you know of someone, and I can give you references for who we are in real life.

Thanks in advance!

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 7:44 am
What are the family friends doing? Don't they also have to quarantine?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 7:48 am
Wow so challenging!

I would call organizations like hatzolah and see if they have any suggestions how to handle these predicaments. And your rov, agudah, any group to which you have shaychus and that may be helpful in networking.

I would also ask two family members to go pick her up and bring her home. Hopefully you have someone who can do that.

Hope she gets home fast and safely! Refuah shleymah to those in need!

imasinger

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 7:49 am
How long was she in Orlando for? If her last exposure to her sister was long enough ago, it shouldn't be an issue. Would it help if you arrange a rapid test for her before flight time?

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 7:50 am
Raisin wrote:
What are the family friends doing? Don't they also have to quarantine?

They wouldn't have to quarantine unless the girl they were with came down with symptoms. For now they are only a secondhand exposure.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 7:52 am
Yeah. what are the family friends doing?

I would start considering Plan B, Plan A being she is arriving home with her family friends at some point. Call Chabad in Orlando. I bet they can offer some help in some form or fashion.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 7:55 am
What a hard situation! Ask the family friends she is with to wait with her until you can get there. Get 2 drivers in a car ASAP and take turns driving without stopping except for bathroom breaks. It takes 20-24 hours.
Good luck and Refuah Shelaima!!!

LO

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 7:57 am
Thanks everyone for quick responses. The family friends she is with have antibodies, so they are flying home. We have nobody else that can go pick her up, unfortunately....We were even thinking of some seminary-age girls who could fly in and stay in a hotel with her - an all expense paid vacation! Anyone know anyone like that?

LO

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 7:58 am
And she only left on Sunday, while her sister was having symptoms, so we have to assume she WAS exposed...

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 7:59 am
Have you considered finding an adult on your end who could fly there ASAP and rent a two bedroom apartment and keep an eye on DD for you while she’s quarantined? Maybe a young couple who’d want a free trip to Orlando?
DD can stay in her room and they could enjoy Orlando on your dime?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:00 am
LO wrote:
Thanks everyone for quick responses. The family friends she is with have antibodies, so they are flying home. We have nobody else that can go pick her up, unfortunately....We were even thinking of some seminary-age girls who could fly in and stay in a hotel with her - an all expense paid vacation! Anyone know anyone like that?

If somebody takes a family friend with them, they are taking responsibility for that child. They are required to push off their flight 1 day or find alternative arrangements for the minor for that 1 day, until you can get there in 24 hours.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:00 am
Who was watching her until now? Whichever adult was responsible for her can’t just abandon her now that she has Covid and presumably was already exposed and should be quarantining as well?
Eta- even if they had antibodies unless they just tested a few days ago they have no way of knowing they are safe to travel.
If someone in your family had symptoms why was anyone traveling before you got test results?

Last edited by notshanarishona on Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total

LO

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:01 am
ra_mom wrote:
What a hard situation! Ask the family friends she is with to wait with her until you can get there. Get 2 drivers in a car ASAP and take turns driving without stopping except for bathroom breaks. It takes 20-24 hours.
Good luck and Refuah Shelaima!!!

The problem with this is that my daughter can't travel either - she is supposed to be in quarantine, so no rest stops, hotels, etc...And, unfortunately, nobody that could do the drive - if my husband and I went, we would have to take all the kids (incl 3 yr old and baby) since neither of us can drive that far alone....

chanchy123

ra_mom wrote:
If somebody takes a family friend with them, they are taking responsibility for that child. They are required to push off their flight 1 day or find alternative arrangements for the minor for that 1 day, until you can get there in 24 hours.

Obviously that’s the mentschlicht thing to do, but it can’t force this family to behave responsibly, they either will or they won’t.

amother
Mistyrose

I really feel for you and your daughter.
Problem would seem to be that no one would know how long they would need to be there were she to get sick R"L or how to best take care of her if she did and then wouldn't they all have to quarantine as well? I would want to get her home asap as I am sure you do as well.
And if the family she is with are leaving I would not want to waste any time in getting down there. I would think my best bet would be to get my husband in the car asap he does not have to go anywhere except refuel gas which can be done outside with no exposure, and gloves masked sanitizing etc. He can pack up food, coffee, and whatever he/they need. I would treat this as an "emergency".
Hugs and hatzlocha!

LO

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:03 am
Does anyone know anyone in Orlando that would potentially host her?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:04 am
LO, people aren't taking in strangers with covid. It's an emergency. Get the family mobilized and get down there asap. Wishing you much hatzlacha and health during this trying time!

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:04 am
What a super odd post.

Would you really leave your 14 year old with strangers??

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:05 am
You could also rent a rv and then you can drive without needing to stop

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:08 am
Do you have any friends or family who had covid recently and would be willing to drive down and pick her up for pay?
Page 1 of 17   1  2  3  15  16  17  Next Recent Topics