Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
14 yr old daughter stuck in Orlando due to COVID
  Previous  1  2  3   15  16  17  Next

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:08 am
Good idea! It is tricky yes you do not want anyone to fall ill on this excursion. However, I would treat it as the best possible choice and do it as quickly as possible.
I would network at home and find someone(s) to pick her up asap.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:11 am
ra_mom wrote:
If somebody takes a family friend with them, they are taking responsibility for that child. They are required to push off their flight 1 day or find alternative arrangements for the minor for that 1 day, until you can get there in 24 hours.

So much this! This family assumed responsibility for OP's daughter and now they are leaving her.

OP, thank you for being so responsible and honest with the COVID protocol. I know this is such a hard situation. I liked your idea of offering someone free airfare and hotel accommodations to go be with her. Does your community have a local whatsapp group? Maybe someone local to you and less of a total stranger would step up.

Or, would you or your husband be able to get permission to drive down, considering the situation?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:14 am
I would not put my 14 year old daughter with a total stranger.
We would rent an RV and all hop in.
Crazy but perhaps the best solution to a challenging situation.
Call your local hatzolah maybe two volunteers would drive down and bring her back for pay.

clowny

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:27 am
Am I the only one who like doesn’t really get it???
Op, you’re willing to have strangers host your 14 year old daughter rather than to get yourself and husband into a car and pick her up? Stop thinking about bathrooms and rest areas. Wear a mask and gloves and social distance yourself while you use the bathroom and you should be fine. Consider This is an emergency. Leave your little ones with your other 14 year old and go pick her up.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:34 am
clowny wrote:
Am I the only one who like doesn’t really get it???
Op, you’re willing to have strangers host your 14 year old daughter rather than to get yourself and husband into a car and pick her up? Stop thinking about bathrooms and rest areas. Wear a mask and gloves and social distance yourself while you use the bathroom and you should be fine. Consider This is an emergency. Leave your little ones with your other 14 year old and go pick her up.

A sick 14 year old can’t independently watch 2 babies for 2-3 days! I wouldn’t even leave a healthy 14 year old with babies overnight

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:38 am
Leaving a 14 year old with strangers may turn into an emergency with lifetime repercussions......can the family friends rent a car and drive back? It may be uncomfortable for them but they undertook the responsibility of caring for your child and that means dealing with sit that come up under their care

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:45 am
Honestly I'd get the teen tested in orlando, hope all is negative and then she can fly back. Otherwise I'd pay someone who already had Covid to drive there and pick her up.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:46 am
Omg. I cant believe that the people she's with now would abandon her like that. Maybe its more than they bargained for, but to just leave a 14 year old behind and go home. .. like wow.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:55 am
who knows what is going on.

would stay focused on solution to the 14 year old. Were one of my kids' potentially sick I would want her with us to take care of her. and would not want to impose on others regardless if at all possible would want to find a solution we could implement.

clowny

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:57 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
A sick 14 year old can’t independently watch 2 babies for 2-3 days! I wouldn’t even leave a healthy 14 year old with babies overnight

True. So she should leave them with a sitter or other family member.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:59 am
clowny wrote:
True. So she should leave them with a sitter or other family member.

But you need to find someone willing to come into a house with a definitely covid+ teenager.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 9:00 am
ok so husband has to grab someone with antibodies and go and bring dd back

clowny

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 9:02 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Omg. I cant believe that the people she's with now would abandon her like that. Maybe its more than they bargained for, but to just leave a 14 year old behind and go home. .. like wow.

Why do you think she is being abandoned? They are willing to take care but they are not getting the parents full cooperation. They probably feel that the parents should take over charge at this point and with all due respect it seems that the parents are taking too many things into consideration without realizing what an emergency this is and that they need to take full charge of their daughter now.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 9:06 am

Did OP inform them that their daughter was exposed prior to travel? OP wrote the following:

"And she only left on Sunday, while her sister was having symptoms, so we have to assume she WAS exposed..."

It sounds like that OP was well aware that there was a high probability that her daughter was exposed, and still allowed the girl to travel. If the people weren't informed of this, then can we blame them for refusing to take responsibility?

Even if OP wasn't 100% sure that the twin had COVID. The fact alone that the twin was displaying symptoms, should have lent towards a different course of action.

Java

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 9:07 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Did OP inform them that their daughter was exposed prior to travel? OP wrote the following:

"And she only left on Sunday, while her sister was having symptoms, so we have to assume she WAS exposed..."

It sounds like that OP was well aware that there was a high probability that her daughter was exposed, and still allowed the girl to travel. If the people weren't informed of this, then can we blame them for refusing to take responsibility?

Even if OP wasn't 100% sure that the twin had COVID. The fact alone that the twin was displaying symptoms, should have lent towards a different course of action.

This. I don't understand why no one's addressing this... OP your behavior was extremely irresponsible.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 9:08 am

Since the 14 yr old left while a family member had symptoms, they might be angry at op for getting them into the situation.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 9:08 am
watergirl wrote:
So much this! This family assumed responsibility for OP's daughter and now they are leaving her.

OP, thank you for being so responsible and honest with the COVID protocol. I know this is such a hard situation. I liked your idea of offering someone free airfare and hotel accommodations to go be with her. Does your community have a local whatsapp group? Maybe someone local to you and less of a total stranger would step up.

Or, would you or your husband be able to get permission to drive down, considering the situation?

Was the family briefed on the possible exposure prior to assuming responsibility? If they were, their behavior is totally inappropriate. But if they weren't told, I can understand their current stance.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 9:10 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:

I’m sorry for OP and her dd but the story really shows why it’s not a good idea to travel this winter.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 9:14 am
Why are people traveling during a pandemic, anyway? Scratching Head

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 9:22 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
What a super odd post.

Would you really leave your 14 year old with strangers??

This is very complicated on many levels.
Let's focus on helping OP with the situation she's faced with. (And maybe edit posts to erase OP's name since she had wanted to go amother, and might want to regain her anonymity after all this.)

I just want to address the stranger issue. If she's a mature teenager, and the family checks out to be kind (my first thought would be Chabad, and then trusting their judgment on any family they chose) it's no such an odd stretch under these very stressful circumstances.

OP, I guess a lot of us learned an important lesson from this cautionary tale. I'm sorry it's at your expense.
Page 2 of 17   Previous  1  2  3   15  16  17  Next Recent Topics