Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Switching schools

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:52 am
How do I help my 2nd grader switch to a new (better) school? To leave her friends and meet new girls? To adjust to a new building, new staff, etc.

OOTforlife

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:55 am
Do you know any of the families that go there already? Meeting a few classmates outside of school and maybe making a connection or two would be a great help.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:55 am
Is she excited about the switch? Maybe send her to a daycamp where a few of the girls from her new school go to.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 8:56 am
call the school and anyone you know sending there. get recommendations and contact info and make playdates in advance, have her meet a classmate or two....have her meet her teacher in advance if possible and get a tour of the building. Very common to do so. A familiar face and bit of familiarity helps tons also find out where she is holding in the curriculum and arrange for any tutoring in advance if necessary.
hatzlocha!

salt

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 3:28 am
My DD had a girl in her class who left after 2nd grade - they were moving house.
One day near the end of the school year, the mom came in with the girl, and took photos of each classmate with her DD, and then she brought in photo-magnets for each of the girls with her name and phone number printed on, and a 'keep in touch' note.
I doubt any of them really kept in touch, cos 2nd grade is very young, and usually kids that age integrate very easily and quickly to new surroundings, be"h.
But I think it was a nice idea, especially for the girl who was leaving. Showed her mother cared that it was hard for her to leave her friends.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 3:30 am
That was really sweet!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children