Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
The rising cost of housing-particularly in frum communities
Previous  1  2

micki

Post Wed, Jul 13 2005, 10:42 am
pm me

proudmom

Post Wed, Jul 13 2005, 10:55 am
Micki the houses are really big and cheap. My mother saw a house there that had 12 bedrooms that cost 125,000.

queen

Post Wed, Jul 13 2005, 11:01 am
proudmom wrote:
Micki the houses are really big and cheap. My mother saw a house there that had 12 bedrooms that cost 125,000.

proudmom, can I put in an order for a few of those???????
Very Happy

proudmom

Post Wed, Jul 13 2005, 11:04 am
Queen, contact Micki and she will give you all the info.

Tefila

Post Wed, Jul 13 2005, 11:52 am
How about I sell ours and move up to you maybe incl an in house mikveh since it's so cheap there Very Happy

Motek

Post Sun, Jul 24 2005, 5:34 pm
an interesting article on this topic:

http://ou.org/publications/ja/.....n.pdf

Rivka

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 4:37 pm
That's it, I am moving to where you are Micki!
I know what people are saying move slightly out of the community, but the slight out can also be very close, but around here it means living near the scallies and it's not that safe. But everywhere in Prestwich is around the same price. I think what is happening is that a lot of young people from south are mvoing up north, but for them the houses are so cheap they can give the sellers the right amount or more, when usually people try barter down the price. I can't see me affording a house. £200,000 for a 3 bedroom house, and the 3rd bedroom is a box room. I worked it out, I would need at least a £20,000 downpayment on a house to be able to afford a decent morgage.
I am waiting for the house boom to crash, but I can't see it happening.
Unless I want to live in dodgy land where I wouldn't walk outside the minute it gets dark I could get something not bad...£100,000 maybe less...I should check out the estate agents again.
If you want to live where everyone lives then you are looking at something like a 2 bedroom flat costing from £135,000 to around £200,000 which is daylight robbery.
Maybe in ten years I might be able to afford something. Unless I win the lottery.

sarahd

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 6:15 am
Rivka wrote:

Maybe in ten years I might be able to afford something.

Don't count on it. In 10 years, the prices will probably be even higher. Exploding anger

roza

Post Sun, Jul 31 2005, 2:49 am
Quote:
Fading Orthodox shul in Malden, Massachusetts looking for members by offering low-interest housing loans to potential members.

Synagogue leaders are also hoping to capitalize on the relatively low cost of houses in Malden. While the median single-family house in Boston costs USD 190,600, the median price for a single-family house in Malden is USD 176,100.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articl......html

chavamom

Post Sun, Jul 31 2005, 12:00 pm
roza wrote:
Fading Orthodox shul in Malden, Massachusetts looking for members by offering low-interest housing loans to potential members.

Synagogue leaders are also hoping to capitalize on the relatively low cost of houses in Malden. While the median single-family house in Boston costs USD 190,600, the median price for a single-family house in Malden is USD 176,100.

I'd love to know where in Boston you can get a house for that price. In the frum areas there the price is more like $1 Million, no joke. So does that mean in Malden the prices are more like $800,000 for something near the shul that is suitable for a frum family?

ac101

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 5:54 pm
Does anyone live in Teaneck, NJ? What is the housing market like there? What is the community like? As a whole, anywhere near NYC is relatively expensive. Even school tuitions are ridiculous. I never realized how expensive it is to maintain this Jewish lifestyle.

I use to live in Canada (Montreal to be exact). Homes were pretty decent before the referendum. But in the last few years they have also increased a lot. I wonder when the bubble will burst. Although I seriously doubt this would change the market for frum areas.

Tovah

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 9:33 pm
my husband is actually hopeing the block will come in to power b/c then houses will drop (he thinks)

chavamom

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 10:49 pm
Tovah wrote:
my husband is actually hopeing the block will come in to power b/c then houses will drop (he thinks)

Am I the only one confused by what this means? Is this a Candian thing?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics