Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
14 yr old daughter stuck in Orlando due to COVID
  Previous  1  2  3  4 15  16  17  Next

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 9:26 am
Someone who recently recovered can fly down and rent a car and drive her back. She can be home practically by tomorrow afternoon.
That makes the most sense although I don't know what she would be doing about bathroom stops

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 9:40 am
cutestbaby wrote:
This. I don't understand why no one's addressing this... OP your behavior was extremely irresponsible.

I missed this part.

OP, you let one daughter go while the other one had symptoms?! And you assumed she was exposed and let her go?

pause

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 9:50 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Why are people traveling during a pandemic, anyway? Scratching Head

I was waiting for a post like this.

You can't have it both ways: You either take Covid seriously, or you don't. Me personally I'd have no issue traveling to Orlando and I wouldn't judge anyone who does so, but I also wouldn't take a Covid test (which would put me in a position of possibly breaking the law). However, you tested your other DD for Covid, you apparently take it very seriously, and yet you had no issue with your DD traveling. I don't get it.

I hope you figure out a workable solution.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 9:56 am
I'm not the OP, but it sounds to me like the daughter at home had what seemed like just a cold, so she didn't think it was COVID and allowed DD#2 to travel to Orlando. Then DD #1 lost her taste, so they realized they had to test.

OP, I'm sorry you're in such a tough situation and hope you figure out a way to work it all out.

Everyone else, take heed!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 10:13 am
pause wrote:
I was waiting for a post like this.

You can't have it both ways: You either take Covid seriously, or you don't. Me personally I'd have no issue traveling to Orlando and I wouldn't judge anyone who does so, but I also wouldn't take a Covid test (which would put me in a position of possibly breaking the law). However, you tested your other DD for Covid, you apparently take it very seriously, and yet you had no issue with your DD traveling. I don't get it.

I hope you figure out a workable solution.

So you think people must be either completely selfish or completely selfless.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 10:21 am
watergirl wrote:
I missed this part.

OP, you let one daughter go while the other one had symptoms?! And you assumed she was exposed and let her go?

Maybe the sick daughter did not tell her mother or sister on sunday about the symptoms.

I also agree avoidable travelling during a pandemic is a bad idea. I have avoided many trips for both me and my kids for exactly this reason. (kids coming home from Yeshiva etc.) Not only can people get sick, rules can change very quickly.

Smile1234

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 10:36 am
Was her last exposure to her twin over a week ago? If so, and has no symptoms, she can get a covid test in Florida and if it’s negative she can leave quarantine and monitor for symptoms till day 14 after last exposure.

Zehava

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 10:47 am
Between this and the guarantor post are we the new Craigslist?

rae

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 10:47 am
This is your 14 year old daughter. What you do now can have repercussions for years. You need to take responsibility and bring her home. Whatever it costs will be less than the trauma therapy she’ll need if you desert her now.
You can. 1) get a rapid covid test. If she’s negative, get her on the plane, the earlier the better.
2) drive down there and pick her up. Go to restrooms with gloves and a mask.

She is your daughter. This must be so traumatic for her. Please remember that your first responsibility is to keep her safe. She should not be staying by strangers at this vulnerable time.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 10:49 am
I think this thread highlights why people may be reluctant to take responsibility for others' children during this time. Or host company.

My DD actually had a friend stay Thursday-Sunday (parents were away on business-related stuff) and now I'm thinking, imagine they were somewhere and got COVID and couldn't come home....in this situation, they were not so far away - a couple hours drive - but I'm thinking if someone was flying somewhere and asked me to have kids, not sure I'd want to do that right now. What if they were stuck? It's alot to take on responsibility that could end up being extended.....

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 10:50 am
rae wrote:
This is your 14 year old daughter. What you do now can have repercussions for years. You need to take responsibility and bring her home. Whatever it costs will be less than the trauma therapy she’ll need if you desert her now.
You can. 1) get a rapid covid test. If she’s negative, get her on the plane, the earlier the better.

She is your daughter. This must be so traumatic for her. Please remember that your first responsibility is to keep her safe. She should not be staying by strangers at this vulnerable time.

Yes! This is your child! Why is this even a question? You should have left hours ago.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 10:53 am
I also don't agree that it is the responsibility of the people who took her with them, if it's at all possible (even with difficulty) for the parents to step in. When I take a child with me on a trip, doesn't mean the child becomes my responsibility for extenuating circumstances. Of course I do my best, and wouldn't leave the child stranded, but that doesn't mean the parents shouldn't make every effort (including driving thru the night) to step in when their child needs them. It isn't fair for the other family to have to make expensive, difficult arrangements if it's at all possible for the parents to take over.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 10:56 am
The child definitely needs to be in quarantine. She was last exposed to a family member with covid on Sunday, just a couple of days ago.

No, the parents can't drive down to get her. They also need to be in quarantine. Think of how many times they would need to stop for food, or gas on the way to and from Florida. 16 hours each way. What happens if the car breaks down? Leaving aside the fact that an 1100 mile drive hardly qualifies as "quarantine." In any case, how could they leave a child with covid alone? Imagine how scared that child would feel.

Yes, the family that took her down is wrong to simply leave her. But imagine how they feel. OP was aware that her family had covid symptoms (albeit without a covid test) but didn't mention it. Right now, they CAN get home. If they wait, they could be stuck in Orlando for weeks, if first OP's daughter, and later one of them, test positive.

No, no one else should drive down to get her. Again, "quarantine."

Ideally, OP could hire someone to fly down to Florida to quarantine with her DD. That's 10 days from last known exposure, so middle of next week. Sweeten the deal by offering them a couple of days at Disney after they're out of quarantine.

Otherwise, call the DOH in Orlando, and also each Orthodox shul, for any suggestions.

Refuah shleima.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 10:58 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
Yes! This is your child! Why is this even a question? You should have left hours ago.

It would be utterly irresponsible for parents who have had covid exposure to break quarantine, and potentially expose a large number of people on their way.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 11:01 am
Chayalle wrote:
I also don't agree that it is the responsibility of the people who took her with them, if it's at all possible (even with difficulty) for the parents to step in. When I take a child with me on a trip, doesn't mean the child becomes my responsibility for extenuating circumstances. Of course I do my best, and wouldn't leave the child stranded, but that doesn't mean the parents shouldn't make every effort (including driving thru the night) to step in when their child needs them. It isn't fair for the other family to have to make expensive, difficult arrangements if it's at all possible for the parents to take over.

By “responsible”, I’m not sure what others meant, but to me it means the host family can not leave the kid stranded and has to wait with her WHILE the other family gets there as fast as they can.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 11:03 am
rae wrote:

I agree that OP has a mess on her hands and needs to ensure DD's safety ASAP, but I don't think option 1 is an option. Rapids tests are notoriously inaccurate, with plenty of false negatives. If she was just exposed to her symptomatic twin sister who's now tested positive, it's not okay to expose everyone on the plane to her on the basis of an unreliable test. OP cannot solve her emergency by potentially creating many more emergencies for other innocent travelers.

princessleah

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 11:05 am
OP has a covid positive teen in the house. OP is in quarantine, and so is every other member of the household that lives there.
If your daughter's last exposure to her twin was Sunday, she could take a test tomorrow, if it's negative, fly back, and quarantine again for 3 days and then test again (assuming you live in NY).

Call Chabad of South Orlando. Where is she staying right now? A hotel or a rental? Extend her stay. But this is crazy to leave a 14 year old alone

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 11:07 am
princessleah wrote:
OP has a covid positive teen in the house. OP is in quarantine, and so is every other member of the household that lives there.
If your daughter's last exposure to her twin was Sunday, she could take a test tomorrow, if it's negative, fly back, and quarantine again for 3 days and then test again (assuming you live in NY).

Call Chabad of South Orlando. Where is she staying right now? A hotel or a rental? Extend her stay. But this is crazy to leave a 14 year old alone

What's the purpose of testing tomorrow? Tomorrow will be day three and almost definitely negative regardless.

Chayalle

watergirl wrote:
By “responsible”, I’m not sure what others meant, but to me it means the host family can not leave the kid stranded and has to wait with her WHILE the other family gets there as fast as they can.

Agree.

I think this is a "no really good options" type of situation. I highly doubt they can find anyone they know to go and sit with her (quarantine is not a vacation) and strangers is not a safe and viable solution. The longer they waste time trying to get someone, the more they put the other family in a tough spot, too. I think they just have to quarantine in their car as much as possible, masks, etc...and drive down and get her.

I remember when my niece came home from Seminary last year before Pesach, she chose a flight with a stopover in the US (no direct flights were available) rather than one in Europe, because worst comes to worst, my sis would've driven down to get her if something happened to the connecting flight.

The child is in the US, parents go get her. Best of the worst options.

amother
Amethyst

princessleah wrote:

I agree. Test and fly home.
Page 3 of 17   Previous  1  2  3  4 15  16  17  Next Recent Topics