Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Help a BT buy a plata

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 6:26 pm
My husband and I have been observant for several years now, but somehow we’ve never gotten our act together to be able to eat warm food for shabbos lunch. Before Covid, we ate out a lot and our shul had a hot kiddush each week. Then it was summer and cold food was refreshing. Now it’s cold out and Covid is still here I’m tired of eating cold food.

We don’t really like soups or stews so I want a hot plate that I can heat up dry food on. Suggestions? I’d like it to be easy to use and not too huge since we live in a smallish apartment. Maybe 11x13?

Thank you!

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 6:44 pm
I prefer a "blech", which is something you put on the stove top. I live in a small apartment and I don't want to give up my one counter for a hot plate.
Also, I bought a bigger one than needed, because sometimes you have guest or it's yom tov and there's more dishes and I figured better a bit bigger than smaller.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 6:47 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I prefer a "blech", which is something you put on the stove top. I live in a small apartment and I don't want to give up my one counter for a hot plate.
Also, I bought a bigger one than needed, because sometimes you have guest or it's yom tov and there's more dishes and I figured better a bit bigger than smaller.

Thanks. I wouldn’t feel safe with a blech because as far as I know it has to be on the whole time. I’d feel much more comfortable with something I can leave on a timer to only be on for a couple hours.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 7:06 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:

I don't use ours to heat food during the day, so I can't help you with brands, but I do just place my plata on top of my (off) stove to save counter space. Just a helpful tip.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 7:40 pm
Isra Heat hot plate

Yocheved_G

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 8:37 pm
https://www.kosherimage.com/warmingTray.html

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 10:02 pm
Yocheved_G wrote:
https://www.kosherimage.com/warmingTray.html

Thanks for the link! Is something like this better than a non Jewish specific brand on Amazon? Is it worth the money?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 10:03 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I don't use ours to heat food during the day, so I can't help you with brands, but I do just place my plata on top of my (off) stove to save counter space. Just a helpful tip.

Thanks. That does sound sensible.

tichellady

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 10:12 pm
I have been happy with the chefman brand . There are two sizes, we have the bigger one but the smaller one should work for you

ladYdI

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 10:17 pm
I use a presto griddle that has a dial with temperature on it so it can be adjusted. I keep it on 350-400 all Friday afternoon then lower to 250 for shabbos. Then timer shuts off after day meal. I covet it with 2 layers of aluminum foil and also cover the dial.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 10:26 pm
ladYdI wrote:
I use a presto griddle that has a dial with temperature on it so it can be adjusted. I keep it on 350-400 all Friday afternoon then lower to 250 for shabbos. Then timer shuts off after day meal. I covet it with 2 layers of aluminum foil and also cover the dial.

Is that safe?

amother
White

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 10:36 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Isra Heat hot plate

I have this and am very happy with it.

bobeli

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 10:47 pm
I recommend a regular griddle that cost $10-20.
The “jewish “ ones last the same time and sometimes are too hot

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:10 pm
bobeli wrote:
I recommend a regular griddle that cost $10-20.
The “jewish “ ones last the same time and sometimes are too hot

Do you have any links?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:12 pm
ladYdI wrote:

Will this turn automatically if the timer kicks on in the morning?

sarahmalka

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:22 pm
TechYidCo plug-in hot plate is great. Just the right temperature, not too hot, and was designed specifically for safe Shabbos use.

ladYdI

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 11:28 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Is that safe?

I’ve been using it for years
I think we bought out 3rd one last year. They last about 4-5 years. I bought it in a Jewish store on their recommendation.

essie14

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 12:57 am
I've had this one for 4 years. Love it
https://www.hotmatusa.com/

bobeli

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 12:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you have any links?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mai.....64457

I usually get them on Black Friday, whatever is on sale, there are a few different sizes. And many brands.
For yom tov or when I have many guests I use 2, sometimes at different temperatures so my soup will be boiling and my dry food not burnt
Just don’t forget to cover the dial before shabbos.
Depending on usage it lasts 2-4 years, but for $10-15 is fine by me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen