Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
14 yr old daughter stuck in Orlando due to COVID
  Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 15  16  17  Next

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 1:43 pm
mha3484 wrote:
After 6 pages, if OP is reading this leaving your 14 year old in a hotel room is likely to get child services involved. The hotel employees who see she has no parents will call DCFS in Orlando. If you do this expect a visit from DCFS and prepare yourself legally for a major fight.

Which is why she would need to contact the Dept of Health before doing it. Chances are they would transport her to a covid hotel where she would have some level of supervision, and food and other necessities.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 1:44 pm
I live in a different world. I would never inform anyone of the exposure and if she’s feeling fine just get her home. A 14 year old should not be quarantining alone, far from home, because she was exposed, not actually positive, to COVID.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 1:47 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Which is why she would need to contact the Dept of Health before doing it. Chances are they would transport her to a covid hotel where she would have some level of supervision, and food and other necessities.

If you call the local health dept you will 1000% trigger an investigation for neglect. They will want to know why a teenager is unsupervised 1000 miles away and they wont want to be responsible for her. They will pass it off to DCFS. This is very very risky.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 1:49 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

EY and US, different planets.

elsily

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 1:50 pm
I usually agree with you Six, but the health dept. is in no way shape or form providing any supervision for a minor. Parents would 100% be investigated. Hotels don’t even let minors stay alone because it’s illegal.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 1:50 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
After exposure, she is obligated to quarantine, even without a positive test.

I don't mean to be rude and I'm sorry for saying it but you are crazy.

Leaving a 14 year old alone in a hotel room 1100 miles away from home is the most insane thing I ever heard of in my life.

Miri1

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 1:51 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

Maybe in a utopian world.
This suggestion above would set up the girl and family for potential trauma and months of hassle.
I don't know where you live, perhaps in Israel this could work? Maybe. I don't think there is that level of organization in the US. And I wouldn't put a 14 year old through this, uh uh.

It's all about weighing up risks and benefits. They need to be pragmatic here.

Rhom

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 1:54 pm
watergirl wrote:
So much this! This family assumed responsibility for OP's daughter and now they are leaving her.

OP, thank you for being so responsible and honest with the COVID protocol. I know this is such a hard situation. I liked your idea of offering someone free airfare and hotel accommodations to go be with her. Does your community have a local whatsapp group? Maybe someone local to you and less of a total stranger would step up.

Or, would you or your husband be able to get permission to drive down, considering the situation?

Just curious why it's a vacation for a sem girl to be stuck in a hotel for 2 weeks?

If she's symptom free after five days she may be safe to travel op should definitely ask a doc

Miri1

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 1:57 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
And exposing people to someone who is supposed to be in quarantine is also bad judgment.

The question here is who should suffer from the bad judgment.

It's not a binary answer.
There is level of risk involved, the degree of potential suffering, and the number of people who could suffer.
If she gets in a car, the risk is low for EVERYONE. If she stays behind, there is still risk to others plus the emotional and possibly physical wellbeing of a fourteen year old girl.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 1:57 pm
Rhom wrote:
Just curious why it's a vacation for a sem girl to be stuck in a hotel for 2 weeks?

If she's symptom free after five days she may be safe to travel op should definitely ask a doc

Depends on the girl. Maybe a girl who is a total introvert and wants to relax in the warmth (think about a balcony, etc) and re-charges by having quiet time would enjoy this. I can think of a few friens who would LOVE this kind of thing. Also, she isnt babysitting a 14 year old. She can leave for a few hours in the morning and early evening. And it's not 2 weeks, its 10 days. Some of which already passed.

Miri1

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 1:59 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Of course its not optimal to leave her alone in a hotel.

But let's say she gets on a plane, and has covid. He infects the families sitting in front of and behind her. They go home, where the mother, not realizing she has been exposed, goes to work and infects her coworker, who lives with her elderly parents. Who die.

The risk is just too high. That's why quarantine is required.

Someone is going to be at risk, no matter what. Someone is going to be inconvenienced. Someone is going to have a bad time of it. Weighing, its got to be the child.

I feel bad. I think the parents need to do whatever they can to help her, without endangering others. But saying "gee, breaking quarantine and putting others at risk isnt' SO bad" isn't the answer.

But we were discussing her parents driving and the rest stops.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 2:00 pm
Rhom wrote:

She can take an adjoining room so no exposure and go out and do things. Bring back food for the kid. As long as an adult is there at night, the 14 year old should be fine during the day.

pause

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 2:02 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
So you think people must be either completely selfish or completely selfless.

No I think people should be consistent. If Covid is dangerous and you're taking precautions, you don't travel. If Covid is no big deal and you travel, you wouldn't be in this pickle now.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 2:05 pm
Miri1 wrote:
But we were discussing her parents driving and the rest stops.

Her parents have been exposed. Yes, they put people in danger at restrooms. And when they stop for food. And chas v'shalom they have car trouble.

QueensMama

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 2:05 pm
pause wrote:
No I think people should be consistent. If Covid is dangerous and you're taking precautions, you don't travel. If Covid is no big deal and you travel, you wouldn't be in this pickle now.

How about, "Covid is dangerous but I am still living my life. When a family member has clear Covid symptoms, I test because that's the responsible thing to do."

elsily

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 2:07 pm
You can’t leave a girl alone in a hotel, for many many reasons. Especially a girl who could potentially be sick. I don’t know why or how some are even suggesting this. The risk of parents driving down to get her, stopping for gas and restroom breaks as little as possible, as long as they’re wearing masks and staying away from everyone, is very low compared to all the risks of the other options here (getting in a plane, staying with a stranger, having a stranger check on her). This girl shouldn’t have been allowed to travel anyway since there was someone at home with COVID symptoms, so parents need to put on their big boy pants and go get their kid.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 2:07 pm
Who would trust a covid hotel for an14 year old girl alone either? Who knows who else is staying/ working there etc
Anyway us does not have covid hotels afaik so quite a moot point
Girls are abused in foster care too
Would not have confidence in Orlando dept of health! Not to mention frum kosher etc
Driving risk of exposure is Infinitesimal tiny when done right

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 2:12 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

You've got to be kidding. This post shows zero awareness of the way things actually are

pause

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 2:13 pm
QueensMama wrote:
How about, "Covid is dangerous but I am still living my life. When a family member has clear Covid symptoms, I test because that's the responsible thing to do."

Does living your life include going on a fun trip to Orlando?

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 2:13 pm
pause wrote:

Omg. what? Covid can be dangerous, that doesn't mean that people who don't have covid need to change their entire life, and of course some will take risks to continue living. That doesn't mean, that once they are sick, that they'll go around and spread the disease. Digging your head in the sand will not make you any more immune to disease, and its consequences. It may not be life threatening to most people, but there is a responsibility for others, ESPECIALLy when you know you've been exposed.
Page 7 of 17   Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 15  16  17  Next Recent Topics