Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
14 yr old daughter stuck in Orlando due to COVID
  Previous  1  2  3 8  9  10 15  16  17  Next

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 2:59 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Yeah, who cares about anyone else's exposure so long as you do whatever is most convenient for yourself.

I assume that whenever I go anywhere, I am exposing myself to Covid. I don't assume that fellow shoppers, passengers, bathroom goers, or anyone else is healthy. By going to public places, I acknowledge that I am putting myself at risk. This should be the default assumption. There is no guarantee that other families at school are really keeping the rules even if that's unfair and unethical. People who don't want the risk cannot go out in public at all. That's the reality.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 3:01 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
This is the real danger of the pandemic: everyone freaking out to the degree where they're willing to put a 14 year old in a dangerous unsupervised situation. Same thing with the covid-phobic nurses in hospitals in April who let patients die of neglect, and the no hospital visitors policy, which is also responsible for many deaths.

Oh god with this again. What was irresponsible was traveling during a pandemic. Now OP’s dd is in a terrible situation.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 3:02 pm
QueensMama wrote:
A 14 year old is very low risk. So yes, I'd have a 14 year old go on a fun trip to Orlando if she had no known exposure. You can take risks for yourself Not for others. Since she knows she had strong exposure, it's a whole different story.

I don't know how low risk teens are.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 3:05 pm
pause wrote:
No I think people should be consistent. If Covid is dangerous and you're taking precautions, you don't travel. If Covid is no big deal and you travel, you wouldn't be in this pickle now.

Respectfully, this kind of black and white thinking has lead to many terrible chillul Hashem during the pandemic. I agree that there was no need for anyone to travel this winter with the virus raging again.

Reality

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 3:06 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Anyone who enters New York state is required to quarantine for 10 days, but must watch for symptoms for 14 days. Or you can take a COVID-19 test within three days prior to your arrival to New York, AND quarantine for three days following your arrival, AND take another COVID-19 test on the fourth day following your arrival. If both tests are negative, you can end quarantine.

They're not "harassing" you. They're checking to see if you're complying with the law.

Really? They called me half an hour before shabbos. I started answering the questions. When after quite a few questions I asked how much longer. I was told 20-30 minutes. I said I'm sabbath observant and it's almost sabbath. I was told no problem I will be called back on Sunday morning. As soon as I lit candles, the phone started ringing every 15 minutes until 7 pm. On shabbos day I was also being called constantly ALL day.

If that's not harrassment what is?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 3:07 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I assume that whenever I go anywhere, I am exposing myself to Covid. I don't assume that fellow shoppers, passengers, bathroom goers, or anyone else is healthy. By going to public places, I acknowledge that I am putting myself at risk. This should be the default assumption. There is no guarantee that other families at school are really keeping the rules even if that's unfair and unethical. People who don't want the risk cannot go out in public at all. That's the reality.

That doesn't excuse the attitude that thinks that it's fine to get on a plane with first degree exposure.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 3:12 pm
I am quite sure I’m being exposed to COVID all the time. I live my life, I work, I meet people. Most have already had covid, and I wouldn’t knowingly go to meet up with someone who currently has it, but I don’t interview others who I come in contact with. Back in April, I did. Now, I don’t. You can call me selfish, but I’m just living my life. I am not getting anyone sick, but I also wouldn’t call the doh to report my exposure or contact tracing.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 3:19 pm
What a pickle!

The most practical solution is to just go down and get her. This will put the fewest number of people at risk. You will have to take the younger kids with you unless you have a good friend who has recently had Covid or has been vaxxed who can babysit — or if you can pay that friend to pick her up. Make brief stops at rest stops to use the facilities wearing good masks and using hand sanitizer. Amother at 2:58 suggested the same.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 3:23 pm
No, the responsible thing to do (though inconvenient and expensive) is for a parent to drive down with as little exposure to others as possible, rent a hotel room and stay with her until the 14 day period of quarantine is up.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 3:28 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
No, the responsible thing to do (though inconvenient and expensive) is for a parent to drive down with as little exposure to others as possible, rent a hotel room and stay with her until the 14 day period of quarantine is up.

This I can hear. But considering leaving a girl alone because of her exposure to COVID and treating her like a leper is beyond my scope of understanding. This virus has caused so much damage, so much of it preventable.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 3:33 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
I am quite sure I’m being exposed to COVID all the time. I live my life, I work, I meet people. Most have already had covid, and I wouldn’t knowingly go to meet up with someone who currently has it, but I don’t interview others who I come in contact with. Back in April, I did. Now, I don’t. You can call me selfish, but I’m just living my life. I am not getting anyone sick, but I also wouldn’t call the doh to report my exposure or contact tracing.

How do you know you are not getting anyone sock? If you get sick, it is truly irresponsible to not contact the DOH or contact trace.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 3:34 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
This I can hear. But considering leaving a girl alone because of her exposure to COVID and treating her like a leper is beyond my scope of understanding. This virus has caused so much damage, so much of it preventable.

Well, would you be willing to host a girl in this situation?
If not, why do you think anyone else would?
What was preventable, was her being stuck in this situation in the first place.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 3:42 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:

How is staying in a hotel safer than Amtrack private room?

clowny

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 3:44 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Well, would you be willing to host a girl in this situation?
If not, why do you think anyone else would?
What was preventable, was her being stuck in this situation in the first place.

Yes I would host the girl. I would have to much mercy on her. The chances of her getting me to die is pretty low. C’mon ladies... open your eyes a bit and realize that you don’t leave a 14 year old alone in a hotel room. NEVER EVER!!! And realize what covid is please. Unless I’m at risk with other health issues I would totally host her. Hosting her is no greater risk than going out grocery shopping.
I would also expect some cooperation of the parents and to stop being so naive and be afraid of using public restrooms in a situation like this. As I said in an earlier post, keep social distance and wear a mask you should be fine. I hope op is on the way to pick her up.

(Feel free to throw tomatoes)

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 3:47 pm
Chayalle wrote:
That doesn't excuse the attitude that thinks that it's fine to get on a plane with first degree exposure.

It's of course not "fine" but if someone flies to attend a wedding, and then flies back after the wedding, unless it's a 10 person, socially distant backyard wedding where everyone wears masks, they are probably directly exposed to the virus. Many people flew after holiday parties and they were contagious. They might not have realized that they were infected at that point but they knew that they took real risks and were then boarding a plane.
Medical personnel wear masks but they are exposed and are allowed to travel. Many of them work hard to reduce their risks but still catch the virus.
It's better to drive to Orlando and stay with the child until she is no longer in quarantine but the average person who flies is probably exposed to coronavirus before flying.

sequoia

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 3:51 pm
Oh my god, this is ridiculous.

Think how many asymptomatic people you are exposed to every day.

Should people in apartment buildings never take the elevator again?

This is a scared kid. Go get her.

I swear, Americans have NO common sense. It’s either night clubs and 500-person weddings, or total paranoia to the point of insanity and masks when you’re hiking alone in the woods. What happened to REASON?

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 3:52 pm
Reality wrote:
Really? They called me half an hour before shabbos. I started answering the questions. When after quite a few questions I asked how much longer. I was told 20-30 minutes. I said I'm sabbath observant and it's almost sabbath. I was told no problem I will be called back on Sunday morning. As soon as I lit candles, the phone started ringing every 15 minutes until 7 pm. On shabbos day I was also being called constantly ALL day.

If that's not harrassment what is?

It is harassment but if they were so concerned, why didn't they send the police to see why you didn't answer the phone? What if you really were sick and unable to answer the phone? This is why some people don't honestly answer the forms.
What happened after Shabbos? Did they stop calling?

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 3:54 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
How is staying in a hotel safer than Amtrack private room?

Obviously staying in a room, refusing room service, getting food delivered keeps any germs to yourself.
Whereas Amtrak: train station, ticket collectors, conductor, passengers etc. would be coming into contact with her.

Think about why the family she was traveling with doesn't want to take her back. They don't want to be exposed to her, either. (They were foolish too to ever take her in the first place. Very poor decision making all around.)

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 3:57 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Obviously staying in a room, refusing room service, getting food delivered keeps any germs to yourself.
Whereas Amtrak: train station, ticket collectors, conductor, passengers etc. would be coming into contact with her.

Think about why the family she was traveling with doesn't want to take her back. They don't want to be exposed to her, either. (They were foolish too to ever take her in the first place. Very poor decision making all around.)

I understood that the family is vacationing in Florida currently, and can't take her with them on trips, not that they are flying back now, but I could be wrong.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 4:03 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:

You check into a hotel walking through a public lobby to get to your room. Amtrack in a private room is no different.
Page 9 of 17   Previous  1  2  3 8  9  10 15  16  17  Next Recent Topics