Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Yogurt Maker

tzavei_yeshuos

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 10:59 am
Does anyone use a yogurt maker? We are thinking of buying one, but I'm worried about all the work before you put it into the machine itself....how long does it take to boil the milk? Do I need a double-boiler? What about a thermometer? How much equipment aside from the actual yogurt maker? What model do you recommend?

Thank you!

shmosmom

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 11:01 am
My grandmother used to make her own yogurt (and cheese sometimes!) because she was trying to keep cholev yisrael.
According to my mom it was lots of work and the kids refused to eat it, but I don't remember it myself. I just thought it was "cool".

anonymrs

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 1:39 pm
I make yogurt. It's really not that hard and it tastes so much more yummy than bought. I boil a bottle of whole milk in a regular pot. Once it boils, I lower the fire and let it simmer for a few minutes (supposedly this makes the yogurt thicker.) Once the milk cools to under 100 degrees, I mix a container of Norman's plain Greek yogurt into the milk. I put the whole thing into my yogurt maker. I use a food thermometer to monitor the yogurt, making sure that it stays between 100-110 degrees for 24 hours. We just add a little honey to it and it's delicious!

I've used the yogourmet and eurocuisine machines and have been happy with both.

tzavei_yeshuos

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 1:58 pm
Ok! Do you also"sift" the boiled milk through a sieve?
Thank you so much!

anonymrs

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 4:05 pm
blue46 wrote:
Ok! Do you also"sift" the boiled milk through a sieve?
Thank you so much!

Nope, never did that.

Amarante

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 5:26 pm
A dedicated yogurt maker is unnecessary because it can be made just as well using what you have.

I try to avoid one use appliances unless that use is something that is extraordinary and not able to be duplicated using simple other means.

tzavei_yeshuos

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 5:56 pm
How can I make yogurt with regular kitchen equipment?

Amarante

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 6:19 pm
A yogurt maker just subs keeping the yogurt warm as it turns into yogurt but just like making a yeast bread which needs a warm spot to rise properly, you can keep the yogurt warm without a maker.

INGREDIENTS
* 2 quarts whole milk, the fresher the better
* ¼ cup heavy cream (optional)
* 3 to 4 tablespoons plain whole milk yogurt with live and active cultures

PREPARATION

1. Rub an ice cube over the inside bottom of a heavy pot to prevent scorching (or rinse the inside of the pot with cold water). Add milk and cream, if using, and bring to a bare simmer, until bubbles form around the edges, 180 to 200 degrees. Stir the milk occasionally as it heats.

1. Remove pot from heat and let cool until it feels pleasantly warm when you stick your pinkie in the milk for 10 seconds, 110 to 120 degrees. (If you think you’ll need to use the pot for something else, transfer the milk to a glass or ceramic bowl, or else you can let it sit in the pot.) If you’re in a hurry, you can fill your sink with ice water and let the pot of milk cool in the ice bath, stirring the milk frequently so it cools evenly.

1. Transfer 1/2 cup of warm milk to a small bowl and whisk in yogurt until smooth. Stir yogurt-milk mixture back into remaining pot of warm milk. Cover pot with a large lid. Keep pot warm by wrapping it in a large towel, or setting it on a heating pad, or moving to a warm place, such as your oven with the oven light turned on. Or just set it on top of your refrigerator, which tends to be both warm and out of the way.

1. Let yogurt sit for 6 to 12 hours, until the yogurt is thick and tangy; the longer it sits, the thicker and tangier it will become. (I usually let it sit for the full 12 hours.) Transfer the pot to the refrigerator and chill for at least another 4 hours; it will continue to thicken as it chills.

I’ve never tried but this woman used her crockpot to make the yogurt which makes sense.

I did this in my slow cooker with a gallon of organic whole milk and had absolutely amazing results! I heated it on low for 2.5 hours, let it cool for three hours, whisked in a cup of plain greek yogurt, and then wrapped the slow cooker in a beach towel to keep it warm and dark. I came back to it 15 hours later, strained the yogurt for 8 hours, and had some this morning for breakfast. It is the smoothest, creamiest yogurt I've ever had! This will definitely become a weekly project.

penguin

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 6:10 pm
I want to buy a yogurt maker, because I tried making it in the oven with the light on twice & all I got was spoiled milk. (As my son said, tasted more like vinegar than yogurt. And definitely gave me a bad stomach!)

However I was advised that the fancier electronic ones turn off after 8 or 12 hours & I want to make for 24 hours. Please advise what brand you have been happy with.

Puppies

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 6:35 pm
I have a EuroCuisine I got on Amazon
for ~$25. I love it! It makes 7 personal size glass cups. Doesn’t have automatic shutoff so you can let it go for as long as you want.

penguin

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 3:14 pm
Thanks. I ordered it (price has gone up).
Has anyone seen starter that has a hechsher? I know I can just use yogurt but it would be handy to have some powder.

BadTichelDay

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 4:03 pm
I often make our own yogurt without any special equipment. I bring 2 liters of milk to almost boiling in an ordinary pot on the fire. Then I let it cool down to just under "yad soledet bo". Mix into it a small cup of plain yogurt or a few spoonfuls of my own previous batch of yogurt. Put the warm mixture into two 1 liter glass jars. Preheat the milchig oven to 40-50 C /above 104 F (estimated, no thermometer). Leave it in for 3-4 hours at that temperature. Then let cool down and put into the fridge. It works every time.

Advantages:
No extra equipment
Fast - just about 4-5 hours start to finish
Big jars! I can't stand tiny portions of yogurt. Though one can of course use any size.
Can be repeated using your own previous batch lots of times (no need to buy new starter-yogurt)
At least in Israel, it saves money, as shop bought yogurt is relatively expensive.

Edit @penguin: could it be that your oven with the light on wasn't warm enough? Yogurt needs temperatures of at least 40 degrees Celsius to grow (104 F)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars