Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Shtisel - WITH spoilers :) including season 3
  Previous  1  2  3 55  56  57 75  76  77  Next

bobeli

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 5:38 pm
Be carful with telegram links, some download malware while you watch

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 5:44 pm
One of the reasons I'm not getting telegram.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 6:25 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
they cannot divorce so soon because obviously the revacha is still keeping an eye on them

This is an excellent thought and would satisfy the question of what they are doing. It would be helpful if there was a line to the effect of, "we have to be "married" 3 months while the revacha is still involved and then we will properly divorce."
But really, Rachelli was using this time to see if they could make it a permanent relationship while Akiva was not there, so he was taken aback when she offered him this trip to St. Petersburg. To him, it was just about being married for the revacha. But the trip idea forced him to consider her as a real marriage partner.
Poor Rachelli. I felt so sorry for her when her parents showed up. Seems they had no idea what she was up to. Is she generally stable? Also it was heartbreaking when she had to reveal her diagnosis to Akiva.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 6:27 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
At Devorah'le's birthday when Akiva's friends tell him that if he would get evaluated, they'd find mental health problems with him too - LOL

At least in this episode, Akiva notices that Rachelli is touching him, but that's still so strange. And the sheitel on and off is also weird. I wonder if the chilonim even noticed that part, since she has a very good sheitel. I can imagine that only a frum person would pick up on that.

I really thought Akiva was going to offer to paint a portrait of Rachelli to replace the picture of Libi!!

That's an awesome idea! He paints any woman that he loves. First Elisheva, then Libby. He should paint Rachelli and maybe he will develope strong feelings for her.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 10:31 pm
Episode 5
Last scene reminds me of “the gift of the mag”

Gitty needs to learn how to calm down, relax, stop worrying about what others say

And their wigs look horrible. I have plenty of family in bneibrak and yerushalayim, their wigs don’t look like the ones on the show.

happydays123

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 2:56 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
don‘t forget that they live rent free all their married life!

Did they? I thought they did I thought I remember Tzvi Aryeh being grumpy that he didn't get Bubbe's apartment.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 4:37 pm
Quote:
Racheli‘s father is telling her we are worried you don‘t answer our calls the whole day and the bank informed us that you took out a large sum of money (probably for the trip to Russia)
And you're not taking what you should be taking.

Meaning her medication.

I could be wrong but I believe most manic depressives can be very stable if they stay on their meds. The trouble is that many go off their meds because the manic phase can be very enjoyable (or because they think they're fine).

So if Racheli's condition can be stable she can be an excellent mother to Devorah'le (although not clear about having her own children because of meds during pregnancy & likelihood of inheritance).

Kol hakovod to Akiva for being willing to give it another try. I hope he continues to try. Seems from his talk with Shulem that the idea was to meet & see if the relationship could progress to where they'd want to be married for real.

IsraeliSoul

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 5:35 pm
Where can I watch all episodes of season 2? Netflix removed it.

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 3:22 pm
People who keep asking for links - just go on sdarot. Or go back some pages in the thread and find it! It's there.

https://www.sdarot.tv/watch/49.....isel/

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 3:24 pm
Also, literally the weirdest conversation was between Shulem and Kive. What is this whole "go follow your heart" thing? "Move on, your wife died a few months ago, and this girl wants you, go for it!"

No Litvak, charedi, or anyone frum ever talks like this. They know nothing about this girl, they don't even know her parents. They barely know her name, luckily it's on the ketubah.

heidi

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 3:28 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Quote:
Racheli‘s father is telling her we are worried you don‘t answer our calls the whole day and the bank informed us that you took out a large sum of money (probably for the trip to Russia)

Meaning her medication.

I could be wrong but I believe most manic depressives can be very stable if they stay on their meds. The trouble is that many go off their meds because the manic phase can be very enjoyable (or because they think they're fine).

So if Racheli's condition can be stable she can be an excellent mother to Devorah'le (although not clear about having her own children because of meds during pregnancy & likelihood of inheritance).

Kol hakovod to Akiva for being willing to give it another try. I hope he continues to try. Seems from his talk with Shulem that the idea was to meet & see if the relationship could progress to where they'd want to be married for real.

People on medication for bipolar disorder can and do have children. Doctors work with them in terms of medication during pregnancy.
Rachelli's revelation cleared up a lot of questions for me. Like why she agreed to marry him and then went all out on a dress. Makes perfect sense if she was manic.
Just saw a trailer for the next episode.
Chanina seems shocked that Ruchomi has a big belly.
Where has he been the last 4 months?
I wonder if the rest of the episode will reflect a 4 or 5 month time lapse.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 3:36 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Quote:

Meaning her medication.

I don't have a lot of experience but I did spend time with someone who suffered from bipolar disorder, during her manic phase. And she was much more out of control than the way Rachelli acted. My friend said crazy things and interrupted people, spoke loudly and had a grand vision of herself. (She regressed by the day until she eventually had to go to the psych ward for a few weeks to get stabilized.) So I'm just wondering if other people can chime in. Does this look like someone with manic -depressive disorder? To me, the wedding scene was weird, with Rachelli being overly eager, but otherwise she didn't say anything crazy.
When they were at the revacha, she acted totally normal, in control of the situation. At the restaurant, besides for the fact that she bought the tickets, which was a weird thing to do without first discussing it with Akiva, she acted very normal.
I know I have only one experience but to me I didnt see the mania coming through...wondering if others can chime in on that point.

amother
White

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 3:40 pm
happydays123 wrote:
Coming from someone who's trying to get their license in Israel right now, this whole storyline was literally the least believable, and that's on Shtisel! You need a minimum of 28 lessons, most teachers take 150+ per lesson - that's 4200 shekel minimum there. Plus the test is about 500, and that's assuming you pass the first one (that part was believable when she was shocked she passed!) so that's almost 5000. And that's assuming your teacher doesn't feel you need more lessons (most do) so we're talking closer to 6000 shekel.
And then another 40K on a car?!

It looks like Tzvi Aryeh's wife wears the pants in the family, while being savvy enough to give him and the surrounding society the impression that she is a submissive wife.

She probably does all the money management on her own. Getting 6k for driving lessons should be feasible for a woman in her forties who has probably been working for two decades.

And most people in Israel don't buy a car in one lump payment, she probably took out a long-term loan. Again, totally feasible.

amother
White

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 3:43 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
Also, literally the weirdest conversation was between Shulem and Kive. What is this whole "go follow your heart" thing? "Move on, your wife died a few months ago, and this girl wants you, go for it!"

No Litvak, charedi, or anyone frum ever talks like this. They know nothing about this girl, they don't even know her parents. They barely know her name, luckily it's on the ketubah.

Neither Shulem or Kive are at a stage of their lives where regular charedi norms are applicable.

They are both lonely, suffered tragedy, and desperate.

Look at Shulem, searching for love at the Kuppat Cholim online reception center.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 3:46 pm
imorethanamother wrote:

It's true what you're saying. However, consider the fact that Shulem is desperate to get married as well, so he is probably projecting his desires on Kive. He feels like "an alte cocker" and feels dumb for playing hard to get with Nechama, who ends up choosing his younger brother. Now here is Kiva, young and handsome. He wants him to grab the girl fast before he ends up a loser, like his father.
Also, I think that we are more into checking parents and yichus when it's a first marriage. For a second marriage, people tend to have different values. Yichus, parents etc, dont mean much. The goal is getting married to a good woman who will take care of your kids. Rachelli has shown herself to be a goodhearted woman who cares about the baby and was ready to "marry" Akiva just to help him out. That seems to be enough for him .

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 4:03 pm
I loved the episode of tzvi aryeh and the car I was literally crying from laughter. Was really entertaining. That Toby is an amazing actress!

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 4:15 pm
I have to say, Tobi is my new favorite character. I love that look she gave to the chavrusa after she "oops" mentioned his wife's "limudim".

I love it that she does what she needs to do, and doesn't let herself get run over by husbands that don't have the faintest clue of what she has to do all day. It was surprising that she could afford it, and I totally loved Tzvi Aryeh's face when she yelled at him. He looked totally taken aback, and not a little scared. Lol!

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 4:22 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I don't have a lot of experience but I did spend time with someone who suffered from bipolar disorder, during her manic phase. And she was much more out of control than the way Rachelli acted. My friend said crazy things and interrupted people, spoke loudly and had a grand vision of herself. (She regressed by the day until she eventually had to go to the psych ward for a few weeks to get stabilized.) So I'm just wondering if other people can chime in. Does this look like someone with manic -depressive disorder? To me, the wedding scene was weird, with Rachelli being overly eager, but otherwise she didn't say anything crazy.
When they were at the revacha, she acted totally normal, in control of the situation. At the restaurant, besides for the fact that she bought the tickets, which was a weird thing to do without first discussing it with Akiva, she acted very normal.
I know I have only one experience but to me I didnt see the mania coming through...wondering if others can chime in on that point.

Yeah, they totally toned down the mania. They also toned down the depression, too. The lows can be awfully bad. Like, I'm surprised she got up off the couch to answer the door. Maybe she's still on her meds, but her dosage needs recalibration?

But like with Nuchem, I think the writers have a shallow understanding of things like depression, suicidal ideation, and bipolar disorder, and either: (1) don't want the reality of it to derail the plot, or (2) make it too awful to watch.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 11:42 am
Does anyone else find it funny that Nuchem is going to marry a person who he would classify as one of the "Zionim Arrarim"?
Also for all those who keep asking when/where to watch it-
No, it doesn't have English subtitles (and won't have till it's on Netflix sometime in the Spring)
You can watch it on Telegram on Sunday evenings
Or on sdarot.tv on Tuesdays

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 1:20 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Does anyone else find it funny that Nuchem is going to marry a person who he would classify as one of the "Zionim Arrarim"?
Also for all those who keep asking when/where to watch it-
No, it doesn't have English subtitles (and won't have till it's on Netflix sometime in the Spring)
You can watch it on Telegram on Sunday evenings
Or on sdarot.tv on Tuesdays

Yes Pearl, I also find it funny Nuchem is engaged to someone he might have lumped together with "reshaim arurim". I also find it real and true to life.
Shulem is a frum man who takes his faith seriously. They often show him with a sefer learning. Nuchem is that type of guy many of us know who displays how religious he is by putting down other people. It's easier than sitting over a gemara and it feels so good! We can pat ourselves on the back and feel virtuous in comparison to the wicked Tziyonim without expending any effort to improve our own souls. Because his saying "reshaim arurim" isn't real avodas Hashem like actual mitzvahs and learning, it's easy to throw it away whenever it's convenient, in Nuchem's case when he meets a potential love interest who has her foot in the wrong camp.
Page 56 of 77   Previous  1  2  3 55  56  57 75  76  77  Next Recent Topics