Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
3 year old refuses to brush teeth

Good Friend

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 2:10 pm
Hi,

My 3 year old has been refusing to brush her teeth or allow them to be brushed for the past couple months. I don't know what changed, she used to be fine with it. I've tried offering her a prize that I know she really wants (playdough) and she's trying, but the most she can do is put the toothbrush with toothpaste inti her mouth without touching her teeth, she doesnt dare to go further for whatever reason. I bought different flavors of toothpaste, different design toothbrushes, played toothbrushing songs from youtube, she wont do it. A few times I tried forcing her and she just screamed and I'm afraid it would make the next try harder.

Her mouth is starting to smell, I've mentioned that she needs to brush her teeth so they'll be healthy and smell good but shes still afraid.

Any ideas of what this could be coming from or how to solve the issue?

Thanks all!

enneamom

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 2:17 pm
Try ordering an inexpensive electric toothbrush, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....image
It makes brushing more exciting.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 2:18 pm
60 yr old DH refusing to brush teeth

4 root canals , several extractions .

It will only get worse.
I told him.

Be true to your teeth
Or theyll be false to you

But hes not listening

Boca00

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 2:49 pm
Did she say which aspect bothers her?

If it's the brush, is she ok with putting toothpaste on her finger?
If it's the toothpaste, would she brush with water or mouthwash?

You can try breaking it down into baby steps, and as she is comfortable with each step, progress to the next one.
Ex: first few days, just put toothbrush in and out of her mouth 5x, then next few days touch teeth lightly with toothbrush, then brush with a soft, dry toothbrush very lightly, then wet toothbrush with water for the next few days, when she is comfortable with that, try a drop of toothpaste and slowly add more.
(My kids only like the Toms toothpaste, I tried a lot of brands till I found this one.)

Meanwhile, is she ok with using kid mouthwash?

Good Friend

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 5:22 pm
Thanks for the ideas!
I will try looking for an electric toothbrush.
I've tried doing the baby steps thing, maybe my baby steps were too big, I can try more broken up.
I hope she learns to brush before she is 60!
I actually never knew there was such a thing as mouthwash for children! I guess it's something that's safe to swallow. My 3 year old doesn't know how to rinse her mouth and spit it out, when she used to brush she rinsed just by drinking water.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics