Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Unemployment and receiving a check from old job

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 4:12 pm
I am on unemployment because of Covid.
I just received a check for work that I did from an old job that I had and never got paid for. What do I do know?
Will it affect my unemployment? To clarify this check is not from the job I got fired from that I am collecting unemployment from.
I have no idea whom to ask this question to.

amf

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 5:39 pm
What state are you in? In NY, you need to certify weekly that you aren't working, and if you do work for a day or two one week, you just certify for 2 or 3 days instead of all 4 and your check for that week is reduced. It doesn't affect any other weeks.
This was my experience, as a freelancer still working occasionally during covid but got laid off from a day job. I'm not a lawyer or expert on unemployment though.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 5:46 pm
amf wrote:
What state are you in? In NY, you need to certify weekly that you aren't working, and if you do work for a day or two one week, you just certify for 2 or 3 days instead of all 4 and your check for that week is reduced. It doesn't affect any other weeks.
This was my experience, as a freelancer still working occasionally during covid but got laid off from a day job. I'm not a lawyer or expert on unemployment though.

Not op , I'm in n.j
When my husband , he's self employed ,
certified for unemployment it was by the week so if he had one job that week he didn't get anything!(it happened so many times, we barely got anything from unemployment!)
Does anyone know how it works in new New Jersey? Do you have the option of certifying for the number of days that you didn't work?

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 5:54 pm
If you did the work before you filed for unemployment and then just received the payment late, I am pretty sure it does not count as anything. I always get paid later than I work due to the way my billing is set up, and unemployment goes based on the work you did and money you earned during the time that you are filing for unemployment.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 6:21 pm
What Seeker says. This is simply a late payment from an old job, not for work you've done during the time you've been collecting unemployment.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:07 am
Ok thank you.
Now what happens if I go back to work to the old job which is part time it will only be for a few hours a week and I probably won't get paid for several months. Could I still collect for the job I was fired from?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics