Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
14 yr old daughter stuck in Orlando due to COVID
  Previous  1  2  3 10  11  12 15  16  17  Next

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 6:07 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Going on a plane and sitting in tightly cramped quarters for 3 hours is in no way the responsible thing to do. The best solution in this case is for the family to drive down and pick her up. This exposes the least amount of people possible.

The most responsible thing to do was not to send a family member on a trip when there's another family member displaying symptoms of illness. But that's over and done with, so the next best option is for the girl to come home via a car, with only the necessary pit stops made.

Or see if someone with a spare bedroom and bathroom can host her.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 6:09 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I'm assuming there are two parents in the picture.

So how does one parent drive down to Florida by themselves and get there in time? And where is the 14 year old in Florida staying in the meantime, until the one parent manages to make his/her way down?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 6:10 pm
estherj wrote:
It’s sad that people loose all sense of perspective in the pandemic. It’s almost like some people wouldn’t run into the street to grab their three year old who ran into it if it would mean violating quarantine. A 14 left in some of these situations suggested is absolutely IN DANGER. Going on a plane, masked with HEPA filtration merely with exposure (likely just one of several passengers with first degree exposure) involves negligible risk. It pretty clear what a responsible parent ought to do.

The problem is, would the airlines back this up? What could the repercussions be?

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 6:19 pm
estherj wrote:
Really don’t see the question here. You have a 14 year old girl alone who was merely exposed to covid and you are considering putting her in danger by entrusting her to strangers 1000 miles away???

Get her an N95 and have her fly on the plane. It’s almost guaranteed that in that very flight there are at least several individuals who were knowingly or unknowingly exposed to covid. You have to prioritize your daughter and forget the legalities. No brainer.

I think finding an N95 mask these days is probably the least realistic option suggested on this thread.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 6:21 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
The problem is, would the airlines back this up? What could the repercussions be?

There is a self declaration form that travelers on most airlines must sign and one of the items on the form is that the passenger has not been in recent close contact with someone who tested positive or who was exhibiting Covid symptoms.
I think that probably the only way that people get caught is if they become noticably sick during the flight and then the airlines would want an explanation. One lie could lead to another if contact tracers get ahold of it or someone who knows what is going on reports it after the trip is completed.
I am not sure how often signing this form causes anyone to change their mind about flying, anymore than the NY quarantine probably doesn't discourage very many people from traveling, but I may be wrong. It's rare that I am wrong but it happens.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 6:23 pm
youngishbear wrote:
I think finding an N95 mask these days is probably the least realistic option suggested on this thread.

The KN95 is widely available but check Home Depot for the N95.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 6:26 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
So how does one parent drive down to Florida by themselves and get there in time? And where is the 14 year old in Florida staying in the meantime, until the one parent manages to make his/her way down?

Maybe a frum woman or girl who have recovered from coronavirus in the last few months would drive for pay. It's an 18 hour drive so it might require a stop.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 6:29 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Maybe a frum woman or girl who have recovered from coronavirus in the last few months would drive for pay. It's an 18 hour drive so it might require a stop.

So until they manage to find someone who fits the requirements and is willing to do it, where is the 14 YO staying?

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 6:31 pm
youngishbear wrote:

While they were virtually impossible to find at the start of the pandemic, these days they're widely available on Ebay for less than $3 apiece. And if you're willing to buy 50, Amazon currently has them for $1.16 apiece: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....39c6c .

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 6:35 pm
Op what did you decide?

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 6:35 pm
Did not read all the posts. Did anyone mention that the train from Virginia to Orlando is an Auto-Train. You can drive to Va, and then put your car on the train.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 6:43 pm
doctorima wrote:
While they were virtually impossible to find at the start of the pandemic, these days they're widely available on Ebay for less than $3 apiece. And if you're willing to buy 50, Amazon currently has them for $1.16 apiece: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....39c6c .

Are they an off brand? There is some concerns regarding counterfeit or unreliable masks sold on Amazon. The N95 by the 3M company is a reliable brand. Also if they need it right away, maybe a medical supply store has it.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 6:45 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
So until they manage to find someone who fits the requirements and is willing to do it, where is the 14 YO staying?

I don't know but anyone who takes someone else's kid somewhere assumes responsibility.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 6:53 pm
Doctorima the link doesn’t work and couldn’t find 95s

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 6:58 pm
youngishbear wrote:

Everyone who walked into my local health clinic to take a COVID test was handed a kn95 mask to wear in line. I’ve been buying them since the beginning of the pandemic but the price now is much lower. https://www.snowjoe.com/produc.....-pack

(In my clinic healthy ppl and dentil patients and mental health patients all wait together with COVID patienrs). It makes me wonder about all this arguing when health professionals aren’t even being so strict.

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 7:12 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
The can't take her back without lying about her exposure, which would require her (not them) to quarantine. They don't want to do that.

And if they stay a couple more days, they run the risk of not being able to leave themselves.

None of this makes them look very good, mind you. (I once took another kid on winter break, and the kid was injured and couldn't travel. So I did have to change all our flights, and pay for extra days in the hotel, and take extra vacation. But at least it was only a couple of days, and no risk of contagion. )

But, at least IMNSHO, there is literally no good solution to this one.

-- The family stays, potentially exposing themselves (if the child gets covid, they're then stuck in quarantine for who knows how long, and increase their risk of getting sick)

-- OP goes to Florida, leaving her sick kid behind and potentially exposing others. Not to mention the risk of getting seriously ill on the way to Florida or back.

-- The child travels back alone. Exposing others and violating quarantine restrictions.

-- Someone, somehow, helps the kid by taking her in. That does break quarantine, but not as much as other solutions. But who is going to do that? And would you really want your kid staying with strangers, even strangers who are frum?

-- OP contacts the DOH for help, with the child probably winding up in a covid hotel, alone.

-- Maybe OP could pay an unemployed person she knows to fly down and stay at the same hotel until the middle of next week. (I think I already suggested that.) But that would cost quite a lot. And what happens if the child does get sick?

What am I missing?

You keep posting about staying in a covid hotel. I guess you are in israel where this was a thing, but I've never ever heard of covid hotels in the USA. It just doesn't exist. So that's simply not an option. No matter how many times you mention it, it won't magically appear. And the american health departments are not anywhere near as helpful as the Israeli ones. They will not help one iota, maybe just report OP for child neglect.

So please, stop offering this as a solution!!

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 7:23 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
You keep posting about staying in a covid hotel. I guess you are in israel where this was a thing, but I've never ever heard of covid hotels in the USA. It just doesn't exist. So that's simply not an option. No matter how many times you mention it, it won't magically appear. And the american health departments are not anywhere near as helpful as the Israeli ones. They will not help one iota, maybe just report OP for child neglect.

I'm in NY and I was offered to stay in a hotel free of charge for the duration of my quarantine

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 7:25 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
According to the cdc if she gets a negative test tomorrow she can leave after Sunday then.

Can you post a link to the cdc stating that?
Its 5 days post exposure with a negative test, Tomorrow is 3 days

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 7:27 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Nys travel guidelines is only three days and change.
https://www.governor.ny.gov/ne.....4-day

Travelers Must Get Tested Within Three Days Prior to Landing in New York, Quarantine for at Least Three Days Upon Arrival, and Get a Test on Day Four of Arrival

If Travelers Receive a Negative Test On Day Four of Quarantine They May Exit Quarantine When They Receive Negative Result.

If coumo can make rules he is comfortable with. You should do what works for you in a logical fashion.

Thats not of there was KNOWN exposure

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 7:35 pm
Rosemarie wrote:

Covid hotels exist in the US. They exist in Miami. I cannot be sure that they exist in Orlando, as I'm not going to spend the time researching. But the fact is that the Florida Health Department undoubtedly has a plan to deal with tourists who are exposed and therefore quarantined while on vacation.

I'll await your apology.
Page 11 of 17   Previous  1  2  3 10  11  12 15  16  17  Next Recent Topics