Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Explain my antibody results (to understand, no diagnosing)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 11:38 pm
I recently took an antibody test - blood draw.

I got the results.

it seems they have 2 tests - Ab IgG and Ab IgM

COVID-19 Ab IgG
Test: COVID-19 (IgG)
Results: (blank)
Abnormal: POSITIVE
(no category) A
Units: (blank)
Range: NEGATIVE

COVID-19 Ab IgM
Test: COVID-19 (IgM)
Results: NEGATIVE
Abnormal: (blank)
Units: Ratio

so ... do I have antibodies or not? Very low? What's the difference between IgG and IgM? Is one better or worse?

I KNOW that you cannot diagnose anything based on this test. HOWEVER... I"m a nervous nellie, and if it's possible I had corona without knowing it, I will be so grateful and thankful to Hashem that I will praise Him even more than I do now.

TIA.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 11:43 pm
I’m not a doctor or health care prof. But from my limited knowledge, igm is sometimes used to see if a virus is active. Meaning if it’s normal/negative and only igg level is high it means you had the infection in the past.
This was my experience with a vpd that my pcp tested for.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 11:45 pm
Igm would be testing if you have Covid right now

Igg is testing for antibodies

So it does seem that you have antibodies

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 11:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I recently took an antibody test - blood draw.

I got the results.

it seems they have 2 tests - Ab IgG and Ab IgM

COVID-19 Ab IgG
(no category) A

COVID-19 Ab IgM

so ... do I have antibodies or not? Very low? What's the difference between IgG and IgM? Is one better or worse?

I KNOW that you cannot diagnose anything based on this test. HOWEVER... I"m a nervous nellie, and if it's possible I had corona without knowing it, I will be so grateful and thankful to Hashem that I will praise Him even more than I do now.

TIA.

IgM is the first antibody produced by the immune system. A positive result for Igm indicates that you either have an active infection, or have very recently recovered from the infection. IgG develops 7-10 days after a patient has been infected, and these are the antibodies that remain in your blood. The presence of IgG antibodies indicates you have been infected in the past, and these are the antibodies that can protect you from future exposures.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 12:13 am
What does Range mean? Why is it negative if Abnormal is positive?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 12:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What does Range mean? Why is it negative if Abnormal is positive?

It’s just the way these things are resulted. In this case a positive (igg) it technically abnormal, though I’m sure you’re happy to know you have antibodies.
Vs igm is negative is good news because you don’t have an active infection (though it’s not a great indicator in most cases- my understanding)

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 12:18 am
Usually there’s a normal range of lab results let’s say .5-10 and anything higher or lower can be an indication of something going on. Here the lab didn’t give you a numerical range/value only a negative/positive meaning it is or isn’t present in your blood

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 3:40 am
This particular test result does not show what the antibody level is. It just shows positive. Some labs will give you an actual number ranging from 20-200.
It doesn’t mean that you were sick with covid just because you tested positive for antibodies. It can also mean that you were exposed to the virus causing your body to produce antibodies to fight off the virus.
(Btw - there are other viruses that produce their own antibodies. It’s not just for covid. A person can have antibodies against any type of virus)

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 5:47 am
COVID-19 Ab IgG
(no category) A

COVID-19 Ab IgM

Are you sure that the result for IgG is back yet? Here is seems to have been left blank. The POSITIVE you see is written under Abnormal. If you look at the IgM the result is listed as negative. For both of them an abnormal result is considered POSITIVE while a normal result would be considered NEGATIVE. When results list a Range it includes all the values that are considered Normal.

Best to verify with the Dr., RN, or the lab.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:43 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
COVID-19 Ab IgG
(no category) A

COVID-19 Ab IgM

Are you sure that the result for IgG is back yet? Here is seems to have been left blank. The POSITIVE you see is written under Abnormal. If you look at the IgM the result is listed as negative. For both of them an abnormal result is considered POSITIVE while a normal result would be considered NEGATIVE. When results list a Range it includes all the values that are considered Normal.

Best to verify with the Dr., RN, or the lab.

The lab just didn’t list the antibody level but detected that there are antibodies. It’s ‘abnormal’ when the antibody level is positive.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:15 am
Call whoever did the test. They should be the ones going over it with you

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:39 am
No antibodies.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:53 am
You have antibodies but you did it with a lab that doesn’t give you a number or amount like quest labs you only get a positive or negative not a number. Igg is the long term antibody and igm is the short lived acute antibody that will later convert to igg. Igm is usually negative for everyone. If you have emblem health (ghi/hip) you could only use quest labs if you go to another lab they will be considered out of network.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics