Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
All about eggs in cooking

Rugelech

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 1:40 pm
The questions below are not a kitchen test just out of interest.

Do you wash eggs before using them?
Would you use eggs after their best buy date?
Do you use raw eggs in recipes?
If a recipe uses only egg yokes or only egg whites what do you do with the part that you are not using. Do you throw them away or do you make a different recipe just in order to use the eggs?
Do you consider it "bal Tashchis" to throw away the part of the egg that you don't need?
Do you use white eggs or brown eggs?
If a recipe for a medium cake or dessert uses 9 or more eggs would you think that is an unhealthy dish?

grateful2bmom

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 1:54 pm
Rugelech wrote:

Do you wash eggs before using them? No
Would you use eggs after their best buy date? No
Do you use raw eggs in recipes? Not anymore
If a recipe uses only egg yokes or only egg whites what do you do with the part that you are not using. Do you throw them away or do you make a different recipe just in order to use the eggs? Depends if I have time/patience to make something else. Otherwise throw it out.
Do you consider it "bal Tashchis" to throw away the part of the egg that you don't need? Very possibly but I do it anyway 🙈
Do you use white eggs or brown eggs? White
If a recipe for a medium cake or dessert uses 9 or more eggs would you think that is an unhealthy dish? Depends on what it is and the size. I would be quicker to think a dessert with margarine is unhealthy than thinking about the number of eggs. But I don’t necessarily think of dessert as healthy any ways
[b]

BadTichelDay

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 2:01 pm
Rugelech wrote:

* No

*Yes, but only very well boiled/fried/baked

*No

If a recipe uses only egg yokes or only egg whites what do you do with the part that you are not using. Do you throw them away or do you make a different recipe just in order to use the eggs?

*I make something different to use the other part. If I really can't or don't have time, I'd feed it to the stray cats
Do you consider it "bal Tashchis" to throw away the part of the egg that you don't need?

*Yes, I suppose

*Either but most commercial eggs in Israel are white

If a recipe for a medium cake or dessert uses 9 or more eggs would you think that is an unhealthy dish?

*Yes, that sounds a bit too much.
[b]

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 3:57 pm
Rugelech wrote:

Not unless there is visible dirt on them. Eggs in the US are prewashed, which is why they must be refrigerated. Unwashed eggs have a protective coating that prevents spoilage, I assume by preventing the entry of microorganisms through the shell.

Yes. The date is a last date of sale, and the assumption is that the eggs will be in the fridge for a while. If stored properly, they will stay good for at least another month. You can test the freshness by immersing in a bowl of water. If the egg floats, it's old, but it may still be safe to eat. If you notice a foul odor when you open it, it's a goner and must be discarded. If it smells fine, go ahead and use it.

I do not make uncooked dishes that call for raw eggs. The risk of salmonella may be low, but all you need is one bout of salmonella to be unwilling to risk it a second time.

Ordinarily I will refrigerate them and use them in another dish. It's easy enough to make an omelette and throw in an extra yolk or white or two. Or I'll use them as a face mask or use the yolk as a hair conditioner. On Pesach, when we use so many eggs that the cholesterol burden is unacceptable and the leftover yolks are too much to consume, I have no choice but to steel myself against the horrible sense of wanton destruction.

One of these years I will save all the egg yolks and mix them with food coloring to make egg tempera paint. (Watch this website for a report on how it goes.) I keep thinking that the egg yolk will attract vermin or, at best, spoil and reek up the house. Fresh egg tempera can in fact spoil, but it was widely used in medieval times and many paintings survive to this day.

I consider it hashchatah. (Your Ivrit lesson for today: Bal Tashchit means "lest you destroy" or "you shall not destroy", the noun for destruction is hashchatah, and a person who destroys is mashchit. As in "Satan Hamashchit." What you are doing is destruction, hashchatah, or a violation of the commandment of Bal Tashchit. You are not "doing" Bal Tashchit; quite the opposite. You are being mashchit. )

Whichever is cheaper at the time.

Depends on how many servings it will make and how cholesterol-laden is the meal that precedes it. As a matter of policy, when cooking for Pesach, I use whole eggs up to a certain point, after which I substitute two egg whites for each whole egg the recipe calls for.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 5:09 pm
zaq wrote:

Ordinarily I will refrigerate them and use them in another dish. It's easy enough to make an omelette and throw in an extra yolk or white or two. Or I'll use them as a face mask or use the yolk as a hair conditioner. On Pesach, when we use so many eggs that the cholesterol burden is unacceptable and the leftover yolks are too much to consume, I have no choice but to steel myself against the horrible sense of wanton destruction.

Which is why I love my handy Pesach recipe for almond cookies that uses only egg yolks, no whites! We end up with many batches of them to snack on, using the yolks of the eggs that were used for all the other recipes that call for only whites.

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 9:06 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Which is why I love my handy Pesach recipe for almond cookies that uses only egg yolks, no whites! We end up with many batches of them to snack on, using the yolks of the eggs that were used for all the other recipes that call for only whites.

Clearly you don't worry about cholesterol. I'd feel that I was poisoning my family.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 9:11 pm
Rugelech wrote:

Would you use eggs after their best buy date? Yes, do the float test first to see how fresh they are
Do you use raw eggs in recipes? No, my extended family have a bad scare one pesach
If a recipe uses only egg yokes or only egg whites what do you do with the part that you are not using. Do you throw them away or do you make a different recipe just in order to use the eggs? Usually throw away and don't consider Bal tashchis if I can't use it
Do you use white eggs or brown eggs? White
I would probably consider it unhealthy because of the sugar content but not because of the eggs. What's wrong with eggs? No portion will have more than one egg in it

shanie5

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 9:25 pm
Extra whites or yolks can be used when breading chicken, fish etc. Thats where mine are likely to go.

yiddishmom

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 9:40 pm
If it calls for three eggs yolks, I will often use 2 whole eggs instead. I prefer not to throw out.

I am big on the bal tashchis thing.

Wash eggs, totally depends on my mood.

Past date: I never thought about it because they are usually all gone before they date even comes.

Raw eggs: yes, I very occasionally use it. But prefer not too.

9+ eggs: huh, who even thought to worry about that? The cholesterol content? You said it was a dessert, so there are probably many other things in the recipe that are much more unhealthy....

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 9:59 pm
grateful2bmom wrote:
[b]

My answers whittled be the same as grateful2bmom's

mamaleh

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 11:01 pm
Rugelech wrote:

Do you wash eggs before using them? No (unless there is something on them)
Would you use eggs after their best buy date? Yes
Do you use raw eggs in recipes? No
If a recipe uses only egg yokes or only egg whites what do you do with the part that you are not using. Do you throw them away or do you make a different recipe just in order to use the eggs? Depends on time and quantity required
Do you consider it "bal Tashchis" to throw away the part of the egg that you don't need? If I can easily find another use then yes, otherwise, no.
Do you use white eggs or brown eggs? White, I was always told brown have more blood spots
If a recipe for a medium cake or dessert uses 9 or more eggs would you think that is an unhealthy dish? Not unhealthy, just very heavy on eggs & I would only make it if it was worth it.

An important thing to note in people’s answers is their location. Eggs are different in different countries. Also the price of eggs can vary tremendously by location.

Gneshe

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 11:46 pm
[quote="Rugelech"]The questions below are not a kitchen test just out of interest.

Only if I put them in my cholent.

Would you use eggs after their best buy date? No

Do you use raw eggs in recipes? No

I try to use them if I can. Most of the time I end up throwing them out.

Do you consider it "bal Tashchis" to throw away the part of the egg that you don't need? Yes

White. I've had too many blood spots in brown eggs. Apparently, the brown shell doesn't let the machines "spot" the blood spots so easily.

If a recipe for a medium cake or dessert uses 9 or more eggs would you think that is an unhealthy dish? No

Teomima

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 2:13 am
Would you use eggs after their best buy date? It's never been an issue before, we go through so many eggs, but no, I wouldn't.
Do you use raw eggs in recipes? No, but I am guilty of eating the cookie dough Whistling
If a recipe uses only egg yokes or only egg whites what do you do with the part that you are not using. Do you throw them away or do you make a different recipe just in order to use the eggs? I try to avoid recipes like this, or at least use recipes that use both parts even if separating (like lemon meringue pie, for example). But if I am stuck with leftover yolk/white, I have it and try to use it another time.
Do you consider it "bal Tashchis" to throw away the part of the egg that you don't need? I never just toss it, I save it to use it. Sometimes I get some to using it, sometimes it goes bad before I get some to it. If that's the case then no I don't consider it Bal Tashchit since I didn't just toss it right off the bat but did intend to use it.
Do you use white eggs or brown eggs? I only ever see white eggs where I live (in Israel).
If a recipe for a medium cake or dessert uses 9 or more eggs would you think that is an unhealthy dish? Well, it's a dessert so it's already unhealthy, no? But no, the amount of eggs wouldn't deter me. It's not like I'd be eating the full thing myself. Each person would only get an egg or two worth, so that's not bad.

Sprinkles1

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 3:26 am
Rugelech wrote:

Would you use eggs after their best buy date? I never even look at the date, but I anyway always use it within a few days of buying
Do you use raw eggs in recipes? Years ago I did, last couple of years not.
If a recipe uses only egg yokes or only egg whites what do you do with the part that you are not using. Do you throw them away or do you make a different recipe just in order to use the eggs? If its just one, I'll throw out. If its more, like 4 egg yokes I'll use 2 whole eggs instead.
Do you consider it "bal Tashchis" to throw away the part of the egg that you don't need? Yes
Do you use white eggs or brown eggs? white
If a recipe for a medium cake or dessert uses 9 or more eggs would you think that is an unhealthy dish? No, eggs are not unhealthy. You're making a cake or dessert with tons of sugar and you're worried about the eggs?

Simple1

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:56 am
zaq wrote:
Clearly you don't worry about cholesterol. I'd feel that I was poisoning my family.

Eggs have a lot of nutrition. And their role in raising cholesterol for the general population has been questioned recently. There are other factors such as genetics and whether overall diet is healthy. Honestly I'm not that educated on this, but you can do a search.

Either way, when you bake, you don't end up getting a lot of egg per serving.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics