Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
PJ Library book with two moms
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

FloridaFrum

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:40 am
So I know PJ Library isn’t a frum organization but this time they have gone too far. I got a book in the mail yesterday that didn’t mention it in the text but the illustrations showed two moms and a set of grandparents.

We don’t have access to any Jewish book stores so it was always fun for our kids to get Jewish themed books in the mail and we could explain the differences but seriously two moms!!!! Thank goodness I looked at the cover before I let my kids see it.

hodeez

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:44 am
Yah they are getting ridiculous.. I can't remember the last time I got a book that had the mother tzniut; they are usually wearing short sleeves or pants..

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:50 am
It's not an Orthodox organization and the goal is to bring unaffiliated people to Judaism. If you don't want the books, don't subscribe.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:51 am
Quote:
The PJ Library team has curated a selection of resources for parents, educators, and caregivers for handling conversations about race, racism, diversity, and inclusion

If this is on their front page of their website I'm honestly not surprised at all.

Sounds pretty liberal Jewish.

mizle10

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:51 am
How old are your kids? I loved the pj library books until my kids turned 4-5 and then I unsubscribed.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:52 am
If it's free I'd toss out that book and keep the rest. If I were paying, I'd unsubscribe and tell them why.

Stars

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:53 am
It’s a free subscription. You can’t complain. Either unsubscribe (which is a bit of a pain, I’ve tried), or throw out the ones you don’t want.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:06 am
I always screen the books first. Some are fine and some are not.

Frumme

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:13 am
Not sure why you're surprised, I'd say most of their books are a little "off." Remember, the only thing that makes a book eligible for PJ Library publication is a Jewish author, illustrator, or content.

Some books are great, like the one they give everyone when they first sign up ("Joseph had a Little Overcoat" or something like that). Other ones miss the mark but are still cute ("Rabbi Benjamin's Buttons," where they celebrate Chanukah but not Purim, eat esrog jelly in the sukkah, depict unkosher menorahs, etc. Still cute and Jewish but... Just "off"). And yet others are just plain ridiculous, like one a few years back about the pig who wanted to convert (and here I thought it might actually surprise me with a story about Moshiach buuuut no, in the end, the chazer is a chazer. Wearing a kippah.).

So screen the books before giving them to the kids, if you don't like it give it to them library instead of tossing it, otherwise it's a free program and we can't complain too much. Unless you'd like to submit your work to them? Very Happy

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:14 am
As an author whose books have been sent out by PJ, I'll just repeat what others have said. You're getting these books for free. You are not the intended audience, not by a long shot. So keep what you like, but don't assume that every selection will be appropriate for a religious family.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:15 am
For the most part they have confusing jewish values. I cancelled it after I felt like most books made no sense for an orthodox home. I would rather have non jewish books that don't have weird jewish messages. Also if you don't have any jewish book stores near you, most are available on amazon.

FloridaFrum

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:17 am
My son who received this book is two. Obviously, I know it’s free and I don’t have to get the books. We have donated in the past because we liked the idea that kids who may not get any Jewish education might get these books. My husband is BT and raised very secular remembers little things like this from his childhood that stirred his interest.

I’m just shocked at how far they are taking “diversity”

I mostly just wanted to warn anyone who may not have noticed.

FloridaFrum

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:18 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
For the most part they have confusing jewish values. I cancelled it after I felt like most books made no sense for an orthodox home. I would rather have non jewish books that don't have weird jewish messages. Also if you don't have any jewish book stores near you, most are available on amazon.

Several times we’ve bought fun holiday books from Amazon and then PJ would send us the same book Very Happy

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:20 am
FloridaFrum wrote:
My son who received this book is two. Obviously, I know it’s free and I don’t have to get the books. We have donated in the past because we liked the idea that kids who may not get any Jewish education might get these books. My husband is BT and raised very secular remembers little things like this from his childhood that stirred his interest.

I understand why this bothers you, and I've thrown out books for the same reason. But other books have bothered me more- as others have mentioned, where they take a familiar Jewish ritual or event and present it in a way that is contrary to halacha. Which is why when I screen the books I really have to read them well.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:22 am
FloridaFrum wrote:

Having two moms is very mainstream these days in the wider culture.

FloridaFrum

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:36 am
I’m just heart broken that there is little Jewish souls getting “indoctrinated” into reform Jewish ideas. At least if they are showing something conservative or traditional it’s at least kind of close to the real thing

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:39 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Having two moms is very mainstream these days in the wider culture.

Nowadays it is not uncommon. I work in a public school, and in the last 10 years I have had at least a few students with 2 moms. Prior to that, while I did have students with a lesbian mother, the mother was always single with an adopted child. That is much rarer now.

happy chick

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:43 am
Just as a side note, for anyone who is thinking of unsubscribing. They have a grant for which they give a $1,000 scholarship for children going to overnight camp for the first time. It pays to stay on just for that. It's not only for the child who is subscribed, but for a sibling of a subscribed child as well.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:44 am
So I've written this in their surveys before. But I find it upsetting that they're only concept of diversity is multi-faith families and gay parents etc.

If they really wanted to support diversity and tolerance they'd throw in a few stories about orthodox families.

As of now they don't have a collection of books that fairly depict diversity or tolerance. Only progressivism.

I say the same thing to my cousin who is traditional. She sends her daughter to a conservative movement school and then to a non jewish sleepaway camp in the name of diversity.... Well guess what her daughter knows a lot about progressive lifestyles and values. But when she comes to my house she's begging to know more. So she is necessary getting a well rounded education in diversity or even tolerance...

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:46 am
I unsubscribed after I got an intermarriage book.

I agree they take things too far. There's no reason to push an agenda with little kids.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics