Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
REAL Mexican recipes. Here we go! UPDATE
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

happyone

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 3:26 am
H&F you rock!! We LOVE Mexican recipes and you can be sure over time I'll try em all. thanks so much !

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:06 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
GUYSSSSSSSS

But you know what I miss??

I miss that creamy cheesy corn in a cup that the elotero used to sell. MISS IT SO MUCH. I NEED IT. NOW!
(I looked up the recipe online and the cheese calls for cotija cheese so now I’m sad lol. There’s no cholov Yisroel version)
This is what I’m talking about.
https://thesweetmolcajete.com/.....vaso/

[upside down question mark]Ingles, por favor? Muchas gracias!

Frumme

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:21 am
PinkFridge wrote:
[upside down question mark]Ingles, por favor? Muchas gracias!

4 cucharadas de mantequilla
1/2 taza de cebolla picada finamente
2 cucharadas de epazote picado, yo usé seco, ver notas abajo {1}
5 elotes desgranados
2 tazas de agua
Sal y pimienta al gusto

4 tbsp butter
1/2 cup finely diced onion
2 tbsp dried "epazote picado", which is a Mexican herb known as Mexican tea. You can sub 1:1 with Mexican oregano
5 ears of corn kernels (no cob)
2 cups of water
Salt & pepper to taste

Mayonesa
Crema {2}
Queso Cotija rallado {3}
Chile en polvo {4}
Limón, su jugo

Mayo
Cream
Cotija cheese crumbled/shredded
Chili powder
Lime juice

In a shallow pot, melt the butter and saute the onion to your liking over medium heat. Add the Mexican tea herb or oregano and let cool a little. Then add the kernels, water, seasonings. Raise the flame to medium high heat and cook for 8-10 min or until the kernels are cooked but still firm. Serve hot with toppings of choice.

(I will say the author says to add "sazon" seasoning to the pot which isn't in the ingredients list. Sazon is a spice blend that you can find easily in the ethnic spice section of your local grocery)

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:53 am
Frumme wrote:
4 cucharadas de mantequilla

Thanks. It's just occurred to me that I could have googled a similar recipe.

Frumme

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 10:03 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Thanks. It's just occurred to me that I could have googled a similar recipe.

LOL

You could probably use half the amount of butter/margarine/oil and it'd come out great btw. But if you're already having cheesey, creamy, starchy corn, might as well go all out with the butter Twisted Evil

thelioness

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 11:11 am
Any easy ones like real mexican guacamole or salsa?

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 1:34 am
Finally found this thread haha. Was digging through my posts to find it.
So I asked for some salsa recipes. They’re pretty easy to make.

Guacamole recipe:

4-6 Avocados
Purple onion
Cilantro
Fresh lime juice squeezed from a lime, not the bottled ones.
One tomato
Salt

You basically just chop and mix everything up. I like my guacamole mushy so after I chop it up I smash it with a fork.

Pico de Gallo

Fresh very red tomato
Jalapeño pepper
Small white onion
Salt
Lime juice from a lime.
Chop everything up

First let the salt, onion, and jalapeño lime sit for 5 min so the flavor will settle. I learnt this trick from my great aunt. If you mix everything together right away it will come out okay but BLAH. Meanwhile chop the tomatoes and remove the seeds. You only want the fleshy part.

Here are some more salsa recipes, but you’ll have to run to the nearest ethnic store (no it’s not maaras ayin).

Green salsa

5 green tomatillo
2 jalapeños
1/4 of white onion
1 garlic clove
About 1/4 tsp salt
Cilantro

You boil the tomatillos with the papery peel removed with the jalapeños for about 7 minutes then you put them in the blender with the onion, garlic, cilantro, and salt.

Red roasted salsa

Tomatoes
6 dried guajillo and 3 dried ancho peppers (I got these peppers with a hechser online, which my Rav said it’s okay for us to get. Ask your Rav tho before you buy. Website is here: www.spicesinc.org)

***or you can just use serrano peppers***

My mother makes both.

1/3 onion chopped up.
2-3 garlic cloves
Oil
Lightly fry the garlic and chopped onion together until there’s a nice smell of that combination. For about 3-5 min.

Then cut off the stems from the peppers and remove the seeds by making a slit down the length and remove the seeds inside with your hand. MAKE SURE TO WASH YOUR HANDS AFTER THIS. I learnt that the hard way!

Roast the tomatoes on a cast iron or in the oven. My mother prefers the cast iron
The tomato skin and will burn after a few min so you have to turn them frequently. Take them out when most of the sides are brownish black and peeling

Put everything in a blender
Then strain everything and throw out the leftover parts in the garbage. You will have to push the sauce through the strainer with a spoon to get all the sauce. The sauce is what you want.

I will post more later iyH.

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 1:42 am
Here’s another simple bean recipe. I grew up eating this so many times. I miss it terribly. I plan to make it one day.
THE BEST. It is passed down from my grandmother’s mother, I think.

Beans
Half onion
2 garlic cloves
Salt

Boil beans. When it starts boiling, put the half onion and 2 cloves and cook for 2 hours. Then add salt like 45 minutes before the beans are done cooking.
Then when it’s done you remove and throw away the onion and garlic cloves. I would use one of those mesh bags so you won’t dig around. It should come out saucy. If not, then lightly mash them with a masher.

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 1:46 am
This recipe sounds promising. I plan to make this cake on shavuos. https://tastesbetterfromscratc.....cake/

No one in my family makes it lol. They think it’s hard to make xD

thelioness

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 8:24 am
Thank you so much!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 9:36 am
Israel imas, help me out!

Where can I order chili peppers (different varieties, not just the generic stuff). Is there a place in Jerusalem that sells Mexican food supplies? I have not been able to find epazote ANYWHERE!

Also, would an Israel know what a Serrano or a Poblano is? Are they called something else in Hebrew?

I have seeds to grow my own peppers, but they won't be ready to harvest until the end of summer. I don't know if I can wait that long!

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 1:10 pm
Here’s a simple salsa recipe I use very often.
3 fresh red tomatoes
Salt
2 garlic cloves
1-2 jalapeño peppers

Boil tomatoes and jalapeños

Then put the tomatoes jalapeños garlic cloves and salt and a bit of water and blend.

PeanutMama

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 11:59 pm
I’d love to share a few breakfast recipes.
Mostly eggs.

Eggs recipe #1

Just scramble some eggs with a little salt and butter and mash some cooked beans or get a can of refried beans and add pareve chicken stock cube to water and add a little bit of that water to the beans to give the beans some flavor. Make sure it doesn’t get too watery!! We don’t want it soupy. Then let it cook on low for about maybe 5-10 min so the flavor can get through if it’s not flavorful enough you can always add some spices. Smile

Eggs recipe #2
(My mother just gave me this recipe because I was craving it xD so I plan to try it tomorrow.)
2-4 Eggs
1-2 Jalapeño peppers
1-2 tomatoes
1/3-1/4 onion
A little oil (anything is fine)

(All depends on family size)

Beat the 2-4 eggs
Chop the jalapeño peppers, tomatoes, and onion into cubes
Fry it in a bit of oil till softish

Add eggs to the same pan with the onion jalapeño peppers and tomatoes and scramble together until the eggs are nicely cooked.

Egg recipe #3

This one is for the ones who love being fleishig in the morning.
I think of eggs as a breakfast food but I guess they can be eaten at anytime of the day. This one was a childhood favorite of mine.

Here goes!

2 eggs
4 corn tortillas
2 hot dog meats sliced lengthwise
Refried beans
Fake bacon.

You first wanna make the beans and the eggs
My mother makes them sunny side up but the yellow part is hardly runny. I used to hate the yellow stuff oozing out so I’d beg my mum to make it not runny. Lol.
Make beans like usual. Heat it up and add some salt

Then warm up the hot dog meats and fake bacon together in a pan till the hot dog meat kinda curls up like a u.
You don’t want it to burn so turn like every 1-2 min or so.

Warm up corn tortillas in a microwave.

Then get 2 tortillas (it will get a little messy on that first bite!)
Put one on the plate with a towel over it so it won’t crack and dry up.
Get the other tortilla
Smear some beans on that tortilla
Then add one sunny side up egg
Then one hot dog meat piece and as much fake bacon as you’d like.

It’s a lot of stuff. That other tortilla under the towel will keep the tortilla with all the stuff on it from breaking apart in your hands (yes it’s hand food!) so make a double tortilla taco basically.

I made it last week for lunch and it took me home. Was definitely worth it!

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:10 am
My son LOVES when I make this. Probably because of the ketchup. But he smacks his little mouth and whines for more!
You might need to adjust if you have a large family.
This is a recipe for like 2 people 😬

Egg recipe #4

3-4 corn tortillas
3 eggs
Salt
Tiny bit of boiling water
A little bit of canola oil.

Beat the eggs
Add salt
Add boiling water to the eggs. Barely a drop. It makes the eggs nice and fluffy.
Mix it all together
Cut the tortillas with a knife making triangles
Fry the tortillas in the oil until nice and golden usually just for 2 min or so till they’re ready.
Add eggs
Scramble

Serve with ketchup! Perfect kid friendly recipe.

My stepdad would also add ham (yes that’s not kosher😆) and slices of hot dog meat. He would fry that in a separate pan. If I ever need ham then smoked turkey breast comes KIND OF CLOSE to ham. I haven’t had ham in years so don’t trust me on that. Or just use hot dog meat. This is another one for the morning meat lovers. 😋

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:07 pm
Update: okay okay. I’m back while baby is sleeping.

My mother sent me this recipe. It’s YUM.

Oil
meat (skirt steak is the best option ime)
Potatoes (cut up into cubes. Not huge cubes tho.

Tomatoes
Serrano peppers
Onion
Water
A garlic clove or 2

Cut up meat into chunks and add salt and pepper
Brown the meat in oil until it’s brown.

Blend tomatoes serrano peppers onion garlic cloves and a bit of water in the blender
Pour the sauce over the meat
Add potatoes
Let it simmer but don’t overcook so the potatoes don’t get mushy. It’s ready when most of the sauce is absorbed in the meat.

I eat it with tortillas. 🤤

naomi2

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 2:24 pm
I would love a chicken fajita recipe. I have Chipotles is adobo and all dried peppers and stuff, I just need a recipe with seasonings

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 5:36 pm
Hm not sure if my mother ever made fajitas but for sure someone in my family must’ve made it.
I’ll ask my mother to ask them iyH will get back to you.

Coffee beanz

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 7:16 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Here’s another simple bean recipe. I grew up eating this so many times. I miss it terribly. I plan to make it one day.
THE BEST. It is passed down from my grandmother’s mother, I think.

Beans
Half onion
2 garlic cloves
Salt

Boil beans. When it starts boiling, put the half onion and 2 cloves and cook for 2 hours. Then add salt like 45 minutes before the beans are done cooking.
Then when it’s done you remove and throw away the onion and garlic cloves. I would use one of those mesh bags so you won’t dig around. It should come out saucy. If not, then lightly mash them with a masher.

Sounds yum and healthy! What kind of beans?

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Dec 28 2022, 6:58 pm
Coffee beanz wrote:
Sounds yum and healthy! What kind of beans?

Canary beans. I get them at shoprite

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Dec 28 2022, 7:33 pm
How far ahead of time can you make guacamole?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics