Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
PJ Library book with two moms
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 6:53 am
There was also a chelm book a while ago and when I started reading it, it kept mentioning in every story that the rabbi was a lady and in today’s days it’s good for the rabbi to be a lady....

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 6:57 am
causemommysaid wrote:
I unsubscribed after I got an intermarriage book.

I agree they take things too far. There's no reason to push an agenda with little kids.

It's not necessarily pushing an agenda, at least with intermarriage. Intermarriage, r"l is not an agenda, it's reality for many. I was going to say too many but even one is too many. Crying

Frumme

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:00 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
For the most part they have confusing jewish values. I cancelled it after I felt like most books made no sense for an orthodox home. I would rather have non jewish books that don't have weird jewish messages. Also if you don't have any jewish book stores near you, most are available on amazon.

Generally for a hefty price tag. Jewish books are pricey because it's a niche audience and on top of that any sales are generally not really "sales" at all. I remember looking at a book on Eichler's once-- it listed the price as: 27.99 now $30.00! It was most likely a mistake but funny how there was probably some truth to it....

Anyway, PJs is free and not every book is bad, so I'll take my chances Wink it's either that or subscribe to Monsey's Community Connections. I don't even live up north anymore! LOL

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:07 am
As others have said, these books are not for us. They are literally for those who would not otherwise purchase any Jewish books. I work for a foundation who funds other orgs so I am familiar with PJ Library and have read their annual reports, etc. They are literally not trying to get books for frum people or even non frum people who would purchase Jewish books. And there is a waiting list in many cities because funding is limited and they can not provide for all who want. Please, today there is no reason to depend on PJ Library for Jewish content if you are frum and would normally buy your own books. With all due respect, in the age of the internet, not having a local book store is not a reason. And I can say this easily because for many years, I lived in not one but two cities without a store. Everything you can ever want is available to you now via on-line shopping.

Re: these books with two mommies - I have a cousin (a women) who married a women. They have are both Jewish and have a home where they do some sort of shabbos every week, they do every holiday, they keep pesach, etc. And they happen to be married (not a halachic marriage, obviously). My cousin went to a frum school her whole life and she is very much aware of how halacha views her lifestyle. Still, they have a daughter together who is Jewish. She is a little girl. She deserves to see her life represented in Jewish books for no other reason than to keep her within arms reach of the community. One day, IYH, she will want to know more and start searching. She needs to be connected, and if she can see herself in them somehow, then maybe that will keep her in. Who knows. I also keep a kesher with them so she can see us as well.

You literally never know what turns people off and what keeps them in anymore.

For what its worth, my mother in law keeps subscribing us to PJ Library and I keep unsubscribing. She is also subscribed and keeps giving us the books, so I know all about what is in them. They are not for us.

FloridaFrum

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:08 am
I guess I’m okay with books if my children would see it at a Chabad. We live in a small city with only a few religious families so they see Jews drive on Shabbat, people using phones in shul, there are men with non-Jewish children, and women not dressed modest. The two moms just seemed to be pushing it for me.

enneamom

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:10 am
Frumme wrote:
Generally for a hefty price tag. Jewish books are pricey because it's a niche audience and on top of that any sales are generally not really "sales" at all. I remember looking at a book on Eichler's once-- it listed the price as: 27.99 now $30.00! It was most likely a mistake but funny how there was probably some truth to it....

Anyway, PJs is free and not every book is bad, so I'll take my chances Wink it's either that or subscribe to Monsey's Community Connections. I don't even live up north anymore! LOL

You can find used books online for a good price. Abebooks.com has a nice selection if you search by publisher. Put in Targum, Feldheim, Menucha, Tfutza, Artscroll, etc.

FloridaFrum

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:34 am
watergirl wrote:
As others have said, these books are not for us. They are literally for those who would not otherwise purchase any Jewish books. I work for a foundation who funds other orgs so I am familiar with PJ Library and have read their annual reports, etc. They are literally not trying to get books for frum people or even non frum people who would purchase Jewish books. And there is a waiting list in many cities because funding is limited and they can not provide for all who want. Please, today there is no reason to depend on PJ Library for Jewish content if you are frum and would normally buy your own books. With all due respect, in the age of the internet, not having a local book store is not a reason. And I can say this easily because for many years, I lived in not one but two cities without a store. Everything you can ever want is available to you now via on-line shopping.

Re: these books with two mommies - I have a cousin (a women) who married a women. They have are both Jewish and have a home where they do some sort of shabbos every week, they do every holiday, they keep pesach, etc. And they happen to be married (not a halachic marriage, obviously). My cousin went to a frum school her whole life and she is very much aware of how halacha views her lifestyle. Still, they have a daughter together who is Jewish. She is a little girl. She deserves to see her life represented in Jewish books for no other reason than to keep her within arms reach of the community. One day, IYH, she will want to know more and start searching. She needs to be connected, and if she can see herself in them somehow, then maybe that will keep her in. Who knows. I also keep a kesher with them so she can see us as well.

You literally never know what turns people off and what keeps them in anymore.

For what its worth, my mother in law keeps subscribing us to PJ Library and I keep unsubscribing. She is also subscribed and keeps giving us the books, so I know all about what is in them. They are not for us.

I’m so baffled that as a religious Jew you would be justifying this book. If anything you should want your cousins daughter to realized her life isn’t normal.

As far me being dependent on PJ for books BH” I got this a copy of this book and can throw it away. At least that’s one less Jewish child being brainwashed.

pinkpeonies

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:35 am
I agree, I screen each book thoroughly and more often than not throw them in the garbage. The books that have no Jewish themes whatsoever are usually much better than anything with a slight Jewish theme, because they are usually off base and completely wrong. Even when they get it right, they get it wrong. Like one of their shabbos books, they try to have the dad making challah, probably so as not to push traditional gender roles. Well guess what? that is MY special mitzva and I am proud to be a women and all of the gender roles that entails. My oldest is 5 now, and I am sometimes throwing them out without even opening them!
The worst was when we got an email from them before Yom Kippur wishing everyone a happy holiday, saying Yom Kippur was on Monday instead of Tuesday (or something like that, it was the wrong day!!!!)

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:43 am
FloridaFrum wrote:
I’m so baffled that as a religious Jew you would be justifying this book. If anything you should want your cousins daughter to realized her life isn’t normal.

As far me being dependent on PJ for books BH” I got this a copy of this book and can throw it away. At least that’s one less Jewish child being brainwashed.

You can be baffled. I'm glad for now she can see herself in a book. She is a little girl. This is something not everyone can understand. Those who are in the same situation as me in regards to having close relatives like this understand and are not baffled. I do not put the books in her hand (I put other books in her hand) but I am ok with her seeing herself in something Jewish.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:53 am
Why are you all wasting these resources. These books and this program are not designed for you. I know it is free, but you don’t need to take everything free just because it is available. It is not your job to collect and toss the books which don’t align with your haskafa (or Torah). You have no idea if a “offensive” book is speaking to someone and bringing their neshama closer to Hashem because now they feel seen, rather than marginalized.
As stated above, the content is often not appropriate for your home and you have other sources of Jewish children’s books. Please leave the resources for the many many non-frum, barely affiliated people and let them have some connection to Judaism, even if it is just culturally.

Anyone who feels that if they were minimally charged for the book, that they would not get it, should not take it. It cost money and it is someone Tzedaka. Leave it for other and let them form a connection, even if it is not a Torahdig one, with Judaism.

number

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:56 am
watergirl wrote:
You can be baffled. I'm glad for now she can see herself in a book. She is a little girl. This is something not everyone can understand. Those who are in the same situation as me in regards to having close relatives like this understand and are not baffled. I do not put the books in her hand (I put other books in her hand) but I am ok with her seeing herself in something Jewish.
I think that’s actually the intent of the pj books. They have the focus on diversity so kids with parents of mixed religions, different races, etc. see themselves as Jews.

chocolatecake

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:57 am
I used to subscribe but I always ended up throwing the books out. The books were trying to be Jewish only had distorted values. Tikun Olam Ted saved the world by recycling. Recycling is a very important topic but I don't believe that it is Tikun Olam. There was a pesach seder book that I remember was actually pretty decent as far as the storyline, now I had no problem with the many different races of people at the seder, but why was there not a Yarmulka in sight. I'd rather secular books like curious george and dr. seuss than jewish books that give wrong jewish values.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:58 am
I stopped getting the books a while ago. I found them really not interesting for my family. Horrible drawings and silly stories.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:58 am
FloridaFrum wrote:

So that what, so she can feel that there is no place for her in Judaism. Better that she should identify not-as a Jew and have resentment towards Judaism? So that she shouldn’t think 2x before marrying a [gentile]?

You sound very close minded and short sighted.

Wondering how Chabad weighs in on this?

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:00 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Why are you all wasting these resources. These books and this program are not designed for you. I know it is free, but you don’t need to take everything free just because it is available. It is not your job to collect and toss the books which don’t align with your haskafa (or Torah). You have no idea if a “offensive” book is speaking to someone and bringing their neshama closer to Hashem because now they feel seen, rather than marginalized.
As stated above, the content is often not appropriate for your home and you have other sources of Jewish children’s books. Please leave the resources for the many many non-frum, barely affiliated people and let them have some connection to Judaism, even if it is just culturally.

Anyone who feels that if they were minimally charged for the book, that they would not get it, should not take it. It cost money and it is someone Tzedaka. Leave it for other and let them form a connection, even if it is not a Torahdig one, with Judaism.

And please don’t throw out books donate them if they are not for you.

number

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:00 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Op already said that she has donated in the past.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:01 am
FloridaFrum wrote:

You think the right approach is to tell a little girl that her life isn’t normal?

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:01 am
number wrote:
Op already said that she has donated in the past.

No she said she threw it out.

number

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:03 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
No she said she threw it out.
She donated money to pj library.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:06 am
flowerpower wrote:
I stopped getting the books a while ago. I found them really not interesting for my family. Horrible drawings and silly stories.

Kol Hakavod, seriously, to you for not wasting a resources just because it is free!
I hope more people cancel their subscription based on this thread.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics