Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
PJ Library book with two moms
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:06 am
number wrote:
I think that’s actually the intent of the pj books. They have the focus on diversity so kids with parents of mixed religions, different races, etc. see themselves as Jews.

This is exactly it.

Keep that pintele Yid connected and support the important kiruv efforts so when these kids grow up, they will feel they have a place and that spark will hopefully turn into a flame.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:07 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Why are you all wasting these resources. These books and this program are not designed for you. I know it is free, but you don’t need to take everything free just because it is available. It is not your job to collect and toss the books which don’t align with your haskafa (or Torah). You have no idea if a “offensive” book is speaking to someone and bringing their neshama closer to Hashem because now they feel seen, rather than marginalized.
As stated above, the content is often not appropriate for your home and you have other sources of Jewish children’s books. Please leave the resources for the many many non-frum, barely affiliated people and let them have some connection to Judaism, even if it is just culturally.

Anyone who feels that if they were minimally charged for the book, that they would not get it, should not take it. It cost money and it is someone Tzedaka. Leave it for other and let them form a connection, even if it is not a Torahdig one, with Judaism.

This. You are taking someone's tzedaka and throwing it in the garbage. If that's not gezel I don't know what is.

I can understand subscribing if you read 90% of the books, but it seems people here are throwing out half the books. That is just wrong. You don't throw out a bunch of books in hopes that maybe you will get one good book out of the bunch. That is taking advantage.

For some reason, this thread reminds me of the amother on another thread who said that when her kids' pjs are worn, she returns them and gets a new pair sent to her for free. (She was not poverty stricken or anything). It's taking advantage, and it's tasteless.

FloridaFrum

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:15 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Why are you all wasting these resources. These books and this program are not designed for you. I know it is free, but you don’t need to take everything free just because it is available. It is not your job to collect and toss the books which don’t align with your haskafa (or Torah). You have no idea if a “offensive” book is speaking to someone and bringing their neshama closer to Hashem because now they feel seen, rather than marginalized.
As stated above, the content is often not appropriate for your home and you have other sources of Jewish children’s books. Please leave the resources for the many many non-frum, barely affiliated people and let them have some connection to Judaism, even if it is just culturally.

Anyone who feels that if they were minimally charged for the book, that they would not get it, should not take it. It cost money and it is someone Tzedaka. Leave it for other and let them form a connection, even if it is not a Torahdig one, with Judaism.

Have you see the video of the Rebbe throwing away pamphlets of Jews for jc? Just claiming “something bringing their neshama closer to Hashem” isn’t a free pass. People claim drugs bring them closer to G-d.

PJ Library doesn’t have guidelines or rules to getting their books. Maybe they should state “This is only for people who don’t follow the Torah” on their website. Again, we have donated to them in the past and the amount was sufficient to pay for the books we received. Me and my husband even talked about that specifically. Obviously we won’t in the future. Does anyone know of a kosher Jewish book club? My children enjoy receiving a monthly surprise book. If you would like to send me a list of children’s books that you recommend on Amazon for a reasonable price I would love to have it. Without going into a Jewish book store picking up and looking thru books it can be difficult to find kosher children’s board books.

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:17 am
PJ library is very liberal, so there will inevitably be books with which you don't agree. No biggie, keep what you like and give away what you don't. If all or most of it offends you, unsubscribe and let the books go to someone who will appreciate them. The mission is to bring a love of Judaism to unaffiliated or weakly affiliated Jews, not to educate Yeshiva families. You're not doing anyone any favors by accepting books and destroying them.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:23 am
FloridaFrum wrote:
Have you see the video of the Rebbe throwing away pamphlets of Jews for jc? Just claiming “something bringing their neshama closer to Hashem” isn’t a free pass. People claim drugs bring them closer to G-d.

PJ Library doesn’t have guidelines or rules to getting their books. Maybe they should state “This is only for people who don’t follow the Torah” on their website. Again, we have donated to them in the past and the amount was sufficient to pay for the books we received. Me and my husband even talked about that specifically. Obviously we won’t in the future. Does anyone know of a kosher Jewish book club? My children enjoy receiving a monthly surprise book. If you would like to send me a list of children’s books that you recommend on Amazon for a reasonable price I would love to have it. Without going into a Jewish book store picking up and looking thru books it can be difficult to find kosher children’s board books.

I’m sure you are not lumping in JforJ and doing drugs with a Jewish book about a Jewish kid with two Jewish mommies.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:25 am
zaq wrote:
PJ library is very liberal, so there will inevitably be books with which you don't agree. No biggie, keep what you like and give away what you don't. If all or most of it offends you, unsubscribe and let the books go to someone who will appreciate them. The mission is to bring a love of Judaism to unaffiliated or weakly affiliated Jews, not to educate Yeshiva families. You're not doing anyone any favors by accepting books and destroying them.

Right, it's really not geared for frum kids. The target audience is very different and the books chosen makes sense.
I thought I saw an ad for a frum children's book box subscription sometime recently? It was in one of the frum magazines. I wonder if it ever took off.

FloridaFrum

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:26 am
watergirl wrote:
I’m sure you are not lumping in JforJ and doing drugs with a Jewish book about a Jewish kid with two Jewish mommies.

The j4j are Jews too. They are both against Torah.

number

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:27 am
Here’s the book subscription https://menuchaclassrooms.com/.....k-box

avrahamama

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:27 am
number wrote:
I think that’s actually the intent of the pj books. They have the focus on diversity so kids with parents of mixed religions, different races, etc. see themselves as Jews.

I also ended the subscription many years ago.

But I don't think the books support diversity. It's actually very one sided. I taught at a reform hebrew school. These kids already see a lot of families like them. These kids all feel jewish (even if they halachically aren't.)

What they don't know is what Torah observant Jews live like. They have no clue.

It would properly support the concept of diversity if they actually did represent Jewish families of all kinds.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:30 am
number wrote:

It’s not “diversity” for their kids cookbook to recommend putting BUTTER in CHICKEN SOUP, with a “to make this recipe kosher, use olive oil or margarine!” note helpfully next to it.

The preface did mention some kosher rules, and each recipe is marked meat, dairy or pareve. I understand if they even say kosher is cultural, kosher is optional, you may not keep these rules in your house, etc.

But to then include a recipe that blatantly includes milk and meat together!!! I don’t even think most non Jewish chicken stock recipes would include butter!!

It felt so deliberate to cross that line. It felt almost l’hach’is.

Last edited by bigsis144 on Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:31 am
FloridaFrum wrote:
The j4j are Jews too. They are both against Torah.

I am not going to continue this conversation with somebody who is comparing belief in J to a Jewish kid with two Jewish moms. All the best.

Last edited by watergirl on Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total

number

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:32 am
Anyone here have the menucha subscription? I’d forgotten about it. It looks great.

number

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:34 am
avrahamama wrote:
I also ended the subscription many years ago.

But I don't think the books support diversity. It's actually very one sided. I taught at a reform hebrew school. These kids already see a lot of families like them. These kids all feel jewish (even if they halachically aren't.)

What they don't know is what Torah observant Jews live like. They have no clue.

It would properly support the concept of diversity if they actually did represent Jewish families of all kinds.
Last year I saw pj was requesting that more frum authors submit books. Someone upthread said that she had published with pj so maybe she knows more. My guess is that they aren’t getting enough submissions that fit their criteria from a frum perspective.

number

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:36 am
bigsis144 wrote:
It’s not “diversity” for their kids cookbook to recommend putting BUTTER in CHICKEN SOUP, with a “to make this recipe kosher, use olive oil or margarine!” note helpfully next to it.

The preface did mention some kosher rules, and each recipe is marked meat, dairy or pareve. I understand if they even say kosher is cultural, kosher is optional, you may not keep these rules in your house, etc.

But to then include a recipe that blatantly includes milk and meat together!!! I don’t even think most non Jewish chicken stock recipes would include butter!!

It felt so deliberate to cross that line. It felt almost l’hach’is.
Yikes. I don’t know. I’m not exactly a supporter of the pj books although I understand and respect their intentions. I agree that seems to be unnecessary and don’t know why they would put that in. Maybe it was a slip up.

FloridaFrum

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:44 am
watergirl wrote:
I am not going to continue this conversation with somebody who is comparing belief in J to a jewish Jewish kid with two Jewish moms. All the best.

Idol worship and homosexuality both are capital offenses in the Torah. They are comparable.

FloridaFrum

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:49 am
number wrote:
Anyone here have the menucha subscription? I’d forgotten about it. It looks great.

I’d like to know too.

“Jewish Book Box curates the finest in Jewish and/or worldly literature-then delivers a fun-filled monthly box to your front door. Welcome to a new chapter in child growth.”

The “and/or worldly literature” seems pretty vague

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:56 am
FloridaFrum wrote:
Idol worship and homosexuality both are capital offenses in the Torah. They are comparable.

Lesbianism is not.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:01 am
chayamo wrote:
I agree, I screen each book thoroughly and more often than not throw them in the garbage. The books that have no Jewish themes whatsoever are usually much better than anything with a slight Jewish theme, because they are usually off base and completely wrong. Even when they get it right, they get it wrong. Like one of their shabbos books, they try to have the dad making challah, probably so as not to push traditional gender roles. Well guess what? that is MY special mitzva and I am proud to be a women and all of the gender roles that entails. My oldest is 5 now, and I am sometimes throwing them out without even opening them!
The worst was when we got an email from them before Yom Kippur wishing everyone a happy holiday, saying Yom Kippur was on Monday instead of Tuesday (or something like that, it was the wrong day!!!!)

In my frum house, DH does all the baking including making challah occasionally, sometimes with the kids and sometimes on his own.

We get the PJ Library and PJ Our Way books. Some of them I quietly put off to the side and eventually donate, but most of them we enjoy.

enneamom

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:05 am
FloridaFrum wrote:
...If you would like to send me a list of children’s books that you recommend on Amazon for a reasonable price I would love to have it. Without going into a Jewish book store picking up and looking thru books it can be difficult to find kosher children’s board books.

https://www.abebooks.com/book-.....chai/

https://www.abebooks.com/book-.....heim/

https://www.abebooks.com/book-.....shop/

https://www.abebooks.com/book-.....ucha/

https://www.abebooks.com/book-.....rgum/

https://www.abebooks.com/book-.....roll/

https://www.abebooks.com/book-.....utza/

https://www.abebooks.com/book-...../cis/

https://www.abebooks.com/book-.....ress/

These search pages are sorted by price, low to high, so keep going and you'll find lots of children's books.

There's also bookfinder.com, where you can put in the name of any book and the site will scrub the internet and give you the website where it's sold for the lowest price.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:05 am
DH often makes Challah as well in our home.

It just works out that way. I find homemade Challah is a lot of time and energy and not worth it. DH doesn't mind and loves making it.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics