Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
PJ Library book with two moms
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

FloridaFrum

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:08 am
Last thing I’m saying and then I’m done. I’m getting attacked, called short sighted, and closed minded because I’m appalled that Judaism is being spread to children totally misconstrued. Instead of defending it maybe you should be upset too, call PJ Library, write an email, and demand change. If you wouldn’t want your children to look at these book you shouldn’t want any Jewish child to see it. This isn’t a 100% secular thing. PJ Library is literally specifically targeting Jewish children.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:12 am
FloridaFrum wrote:
Last thing I’m saying and then I’m done. I’m getting attacked, called short sighted, and closed minded because I’m appalled that Judaism is being spread to children totally misconstrued. Instead of defending it maybe you should be upset too, call PJ Library, write an email, and demand change. If you wouldn’t want your children to look at these book you shouldn’t want any Jewish child to see it. This isn’t a 100% secular thing. PJ Library is literally specifically targeting Jewish children.

I don't see why you should request change. It's not an orthodox organization. Do you call up any conservative or reform organization and request change?

I just don't see a point. Just a chilul hashem and a waste of time.

Unfortunately many many people put there are misrepresenting Orthodoxy. I saw a video of some orthodox Instagramer who explained that tzniyus is what about feels modest and right and you can choose which rules feel right to you.

That's... not how it works.

But it's not my place and it would be quite useless and probably a really awful mean thing to tell this woman she is wrong.

number

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:13 am
FloridaFrum wrote:
I’d like to know too.

“Jewish Book Box curates the finest in Jewish and/or worldly literature-then delivers a fun-filled monthly box to your front door. Welcome to a new chapter in child growth.”

The “and/or worldly literature” seems pretty vague
You can choose a Jewish only box.

Frumme

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:20 am
FloridaFrum wrote:

They have good intentions. If you want more appropriate books, then really, create your own kids book to submit. I'm not being sarcastic. They would probably be very happy to have books with different perspectives. Maybe a book about a Jewish wedding, a trip to EY, a look inside a sofer's workshop, etc etc so many ideas....

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:22 am
I did the menucha subscription for a while it was great my kids loved the books. We chose the mixed option for one of my kids. It was all very clean non Jewish books. The types they read in school for English.

mommyla

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:36 am
I didn’t read the whole thread but if you have an older child (I believe it’s 9-13 or so) sign up for PJ Our Way instead. You get to choose from 3-4 books each month so it’s easier to pick appropriate ones.

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:51 am
FloridaFrum wrote:

Most Jewish Children are not orthodox. I’m confused why you don’t get this. Other denominations may have very different values that they consider to be true Torah Judaism. You don’t have to agree and you don’t have to read the books it’s all free and voluntary. It would be Weird to complain about this since Accepting all sorts of families is a Jewish value for many other denominations

Lets_Eat_Pie

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:53 am
Frumme wrote:
They have good intentions. If you want more appropriate books, then really, create your own kids book to submit. I'm not being sarcastic. They would probably be very happy to have books with different perspectives. Maybe a book about a Jewish wedding, a trip to EY, a look inside a sofer's workshop, etc etc so many ideas....

This is a great idea. I don't think there are a lot of kids books out there that explain Orthodox traditions/lifestyle/whatever you want to call it in a way that's accessible and appealing to secular Jewish children.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 10:01 am
FloridaFrum wrote:
Idol worship and homosexuality both are capital offenses in the Torah. They are comparable.

Lesbianism doesn’t fall under the same category.

ETA: Are you involved with kiruv?

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 10:16 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Lesbianism doesn’t fall under the same category.

ETA: Are you involved with kiruv?

To add to this, having two moms isn’t a sin.

enneamom

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 11:30 am
tichellady wrote:
To add to this, having two moms isn’t a sin.

Whether that's true or not, I think people feel like this is a slippery slope of validating alternative lifestyles.

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 12:28 pm
enneamom wrote:
Whether that's true or not, I think people feel like this is a slippery slope of validating alternative lifestyles.

I understand, and those people are welcome to not read to the book to their kids. really I was responding to the bizarre post about lesbianism and idol worship both being capital offenses. It doesn’t sound like the book shows act of homosxual sx, it depicts two moms, which is not the same thing.

I know this isn’t the point but someone could have two moms for all sorts of reasons that have nothing to do with homosexuality.

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 12:30 pm
enneamom wrote:

What exactly should we do about people living these lifestyles? Pretend that they don’t exist? How is that helpful? Seems like really good parenting to me to ignore everything complicated and messy in life

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 12:30 pm
tichellady wrote:

I know this isn’t the point but someone could have two moms for all sorts of reasons that have nothing to do with homosexuality.

Technically anyone who's parents are divorced and remarried has two moms.

enneamom

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 12:37 pm
tichellady wrote:
What exactly should we do about people living these lifestyles? Pretend that they don’t exist? How is that helpful? Seems like really good parenting to me to ignore everything complicated and messy in life

I mean, there are lots of divergent lifestyles out there, many of which are extremely problematic. Should we highlight them all in a children's book?

enneamom

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 12:51 pm
singleagain wrote:
Technically anyone who's parents are divorced and remarried has two moms.

Technically, but we both know that's not what the book is portraying. It's an attempt to normalize and mainstream LGBTQ lifestyles, just like so much of the other published media that goes out to kids nowadays.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 12:56 pm
enneamom wrote:
Technically, but we both know that's not what the book is portraying. It's an attempt to normalize and mainstream LGBTQ lifestyles, just like so much of the other published media that goes out to kids nowadays.

I know. But honestly. I don't think this such a terrible thing for kids to learn that this exists. Granted I don't have kids and haven't read the book in question. And a lot of it depends on the kids age and temperament. But I think better to learn this exists as a kid then an adult.

enneamom

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 1:06 pm
singleagain wrote:
I know. But honestly. I don't think this such a terrible thing for kids to learn that this exists. Granted I don't have kids and haven't read the book in question. And a lot of it depends on the kids age and temperament. But I think better to learn this exists as a kid then an adult.

So again, are we aware it exists, or are we tacitly condoning it? Let's say there's a book celebrating the fact that "Daddy is Christian and Mommy is Jewish" and that's okay and fine and the children are observing Xmas along with Hannukah. I imagine that most of us would take issue with giving a message to children that intermarriage is a wonderful, acceptable lifestyle.

ETA or here's another example. How about something like, "Here is Aunt Sarah. She bakes a wonderful mandelbroit. We love Aunt Sarah. Here is Uncle Danny. He cheats on his taxes every year and then takes us to Six Flags with the money he saves. We love Uncle Danny."

I also don't understand what the benefit would be in them learning about alternative lifestyles as a kid, rather than as an adult.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 1:17 pm
singleagain wrote:

Learning it exists doesn't have to mean owning a book that seemingly accepts it as a valid choice for a jewish family.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 1:19 pm
Would totally unsubscribe
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics