Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Mushroom barley soup- canned mushrooms?

dovebird

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 11:37 am
Does anyone have a mushroom barley soup recipe that uses canned mushrooms?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 11:47 am
You can use any recipe. It tastes better with fresh but you can use canned.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 11:58 am
I've done it so many times...I suggest rinsing the canned mushrooms to get off all the sodium laden juice and then seasoning the soup to get optimal flavor.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 12:32 pm
I only use canned shrooms. I don't like fresh ones.

tweety1

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 2:13 pm
dovebird wrote:
Does anyone have a mushroom barley soup recipe that uses canned mushrooms?

I made one last week. I had 6 cans of mushrooms that I wanted to use up. I sauteed a diced onion. I added abt 3-4 crushed garlic. I took 3 loose carrots. Grated. Added to the pot. Cut up the mushrooms in smaller pieces. I then added salt and water. After abt 3/4-1 hr I semi blended the soup with a hand blender and added 1/4 c barley and cooked till the barley was finished. It was delicious.
I did not drain the mushrooms on purpose. My mother taught me that juice from canned vegetables gives a delicious flavor in soups.
I have made mushroom barley soup plenty of times in the past using fresh mushrooms. I didn't see a difference in taste when I used the cans.

Motherhood

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 6:03 pm
I always use only canned mushrooms. I dice an onion, add a can mushrooms (drained), a handful of barley, and a small carrot cubed. Delicious!

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:28 pm
Motherhood wrote:
I always use only canned mushrooms. I dice an onion, add a can mushrooms (drained), a handful of barley, and a small carrot cubed. Delicious!

How much water do you add to the pot? I am a mushroom soup newbie.

Motherhood

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:30 pm
I don’t follow any specific amount. Depends how thick you like your soup. Always put more than you want because barley takes in a lot of the water

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:30 pm
I know this is mean, but this is something I truly and sincerely believe to be true and now that there are so many of you have I'd like someone to confirm if it's really the TRUTH. So prepare yourself to be offended.

I believe canned mushrooms are for people that truly despise themselves and their lives. Mushrooms are G-ds gift to mankind. They are heaven. And then some miserable creature thought "hey life is just too good! Let's destroy happiness by taking these delightful peices of heaven, cut them up in the most inconsistent manner possible and then, best part: can them in this horrid liquid for all of mankind. That'll show them!"

I'll try to be DL"Z for OP that may have been given this and is trying to make the best out of her predicament. But the rest of you have some serious explaining to do.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:33 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
I know this is mean, but this is something I truly and sincerely believe to be true and now that there are so many of you have I'd like someone to confirm if it's really the TRUTH. So prepare yourself to be offended.

I believe canned mushrooms are for people that truly despise themselves and their lives. Mushrooms are G-ds gift to mankind. They are heaven. And then some miserable creature thought "hey life is just too good! Let's destroy happiness by taking these delightful peices of heaven, cut them up in the most inconsistent manner possible and then, best part: can them in this horrid liquid for all of mankind. That'll show them!"

I'll try to be DL"Z for OP that may have been given this and is trying to make the best out of her predicament. But the rest of you have some serious explaining to do.

Thanks for the laugh! I agree that fresh mushrooms are a million times better and oh so yum but sometimes there’s no time to wash them!

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:35 pm
I've never made mushroom soup because I didn't know you could make them with canned and even though I am not a fussy eater, the idea of touching raw mushrooms gives me the creeps. They remind me of the ones that appear on the lawn which I also refuse to touch when I dig them up.

Sprinkles1

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:36 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:

How about canned pineapple? peaches? canned anything?! Its all slaughtered!

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:47 pm
Sprinkles1 wrote:
How about canned pineapple? peaches? canned anything?! Its all slaughtered!

Touché

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:03 pm
Not so long ago (I guess the summer before you-know-what, but who even remembers) I had some YUM Jamaican style fish, I think mahi-mahi, with grilled fresh pineapple, at a restaurant (remember those? sigh...). Speaking of how different canned things are ... I've started sometimes buying pre-cut fresh pineapple to put on my chicken. I add some lime juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger etc, soy sauce, a little honey... you can google Jamaican Jerk chicken & just take what you like from the various recipes.

I kind of have to agree with what's-er-name above. I buy 2-3 kinds of fresh mushrooms most weeks, though sometimes they go bad on me. I keep a couple of cans in the house for emergencies (I grew up without much fancy food, ya know? And when dieting I'd just eat a plain can of mushrooms! Cold! As a snack.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics