Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Morah or preschool for speech delayed 4 year old lakewood

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 1:08 pm
My 4 year old son is speech language delayed. He was evaluated for ASD . He does not have a diagnosis but has some "red flags ". I need a mainstream morah/ playgroup for him for this year april through june and then for next school year. The morah/ playgroup needs to be focused on his progress and teaching new skills.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 2:37 pm
I think you’ll have to settle for something for this year.
For next year I would highly recommend the STARS program.
It takes time to work out the evaluations and paperwork so it’s best to get started now. Stars is a program for regular kids who need some type of therapy. Speech, ot, pt..
There’s a morah with assistants and 12 students in a classroom.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 2:42 pm
Where is your son currently?

kategreen

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 2:48 pm
I'm living out of the country now.
Stars won't work for me. I would also perfer a mainstream place that the teacher is skilled and would be able to teach him new skills not speech related

kategreen

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 2:50 pm
My son is now in a regular group. The group is just 6 kids and the teacher is montessori trained so she is great with teaching him new skills and helping him progress

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 2:57 pm
Did you try brain builders? I know some people really happy there with mainstream children.

kategreen

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 3:14 pm
Would my son need a diagnosis for that?

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 3:17 pm
I believe yes but if he's showing red flags you shouldn't have a hard time getting approved.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 3:21 pm
You’re asking for something that doesn’t exist.
Classes here are very large.
No one will give attention like you want to your son. Not in Lakewood in a regular classroom.
You need a special type of program. In order to get speech therapy you will have to have your son evaluated anyway. Take advantage of the help available before he enters yeshiva.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 3:26 pm
kategreen wrote:

Stars won't work for me. I would also perfer a mainstream place that the teacher is skilled and would be able to teach him new skills not speech related

If he needs to be taught skills not related to speech then he needs a special class for that.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:23 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Did you try brain builders? I know some people really happy there with mainstream children.

My son is right now in Brain Builders and we are happy there. They have an insurance plan that makes the place very affordable.

He will be going AH to a regular primary.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:34 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
My son is right now in Brain Builders and we are happy there. They have an insurance plan that makes the place very affordable.

He will be going AH to a regular primary.

Same with my grandson.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:36 pm
There are ppl who do this. Small groups skill based. Don’t know names. They also charge a way more then the going rate. I’ve heard as high as $1000/month. Therapists in town can give recommendations.

bnm

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 10:55 pm
there was a playgroup run by a speech therapist advertising in The Voice. I don't remember details. You can view their magazine online or email them for the advertiser info.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics