Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
PJ Library book with two moms
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 4:23 pm
enneamom wrote:
So again, are we aware it exists, or are we tacitly condoning it? Let's say there's a book celebrating the fact that "Daddy is Christian and Mommy is Jewish" and that's okay and fine and the children are observing Xmas along with Hannukah. I imagine that most of us would take issue with giving a message to children that intermarriage is a wonderful, acceptable lifestyle.

ETA or here's another example. How about something like, "Here is Aunt Sarah. She bakes a wonderful mandelbroit. We love Aunt Sarah. Here is Uncle Danny. He cheats on his taxes every year and then takes us to Six Flags with the money he saves. We love Uncle Danny."

I also don't understand what the benefit would be in them learning about alternative lifestyles as a kid, rather than as an adult.

Again with not having read the book I can't say what kind of message it gives and I can't so I can't really speak to this.

I just feel like in general it's better to learn certain difficult things as kids instead of waiting to your an adult and then it can be harder to deal with it.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 4:26 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Learning it exists doesn't have to mean owning a book that seemingly accepts it as a valid choice for a jewish family.

But it does exist. You can say it exists We don't think it's a valid. I just think that the world is a lot more nuanced than people want it to be.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 4:27 pm
singleagain wrote:
Again with not having read the book I can't say what kind of message it gives and I can't so I can't really speak to this.

I just feel like in general it's better to learn certain difficult things as kids instead of waiting to your an adult and then it can be harder to deal with it.

Let your kid naturally learn from the world. I don't see a need to bring in book or anything with things I don't approve of. I would encourage discussion and my kids to ask questions when they see things in thr world around them.

Just because you don't want messages in books doesn't mean you believe in hiding things from kids and making certain subject tabboo.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 4:29 pm
singleagain wrote:
But it does exist. You can say it exists We don't think it's a valid. I just think that the world is a lot more nuanced than people want it to be.

I don't think you understood my post. When I have reading material in my home it's because I approve the message in the book. This book's message is, a jewish family can have two moms and that's cool. I don't approve that message so I wouldn't want to own the book.

enneamom

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 4:30 pm
singleagain wrote:

We can agree to disagree. All I'm saying is that if the mission of PJ Library is to spread Jewish values, validating LGBTQ lifestyles seems to be quite the opposite.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 4:32 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
I don't think you understood my post. When I have reading material in my home it's because I approve the message in the book. This book's message is, a jewish family can have two moms and that's cool. I don't approve that message so I wouldn't want to own the book.

You're right. I probably misunderstood that. And I respect that. Maybe as another poster said I read confusing exactly what bringing it in vs acknowledging it meant.

As I said I am not in this stage. And honestly I was trying to make as joke. With my first post

This whole thing actually reminds me of an old TV show I forgot what it's called but it was about two single mothers who got a house together to raise their kids together and the tv network specifically had in each episode a scene showing them entering different bedrooms at the end of the night so no one would get the wrong ideas.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 4:34 pm
enneamom wrote:
We can agree to disagree. All I'm saying is that if the mission of PJ Library is to spread Jewish values, validating LGBTQ lifestyles seems to be quite the opposite.

Like I just posted. I was just trying to make a joke with my initial post.

And I don't know anything about this specific library.

And I think there's a difference in validating and accepting. I dunno.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 4:34 pm
singleagain wrote:
You're right. I probably misunderstood that. And I respect that. Maybe as another poster said I read confusing exactly what bringing it in vs acknowledging it meant.

As I said I am not in this stage. And honestly I was trying to make as joke. With my first post

This whole thing actually reminds me of an old TV show I forgot what it's called but it was about two single mothers who got a house together to raise their kids together and the tv network specifically had in each episode a scene showing them entering different bedrooms at the end of the night so no one would get the wrong ideas.

Kate and Allie?!?

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 4:36 pm
Lots of things exist that we choose to not bring into our home or expose our children.
Healthy to have boundaries.

enneamom

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 4:40 pm
singleagain wrote:
Like I just posted. I was just trying to make a joke with my initial post.

And I don't know anything about this specific library.

And I think there's a difference in validating and accepting. I dunno.

I hear that. I was kind of responding to everyone that made comments before you, as well...sorry that yours made the most sense to respond to so you might have gotten a little picked on Smile

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 4:45 pm
enneamom wrote:
I hear that. I was kind of responding to everyone that made comments before you, as well...sorry that yours made the most sense to respond to so you might have gotten a little picked on Smile

Fair enough. This is obviously both a hot topic as well as emotional. No hard feelings

And as to the poster who asked if the TV show was about Kate and Allie.... Maybe... That sounds vaguely familiar

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 5:26 pm
enneamom wrote:

Orthodox Jews don’t own Jewish values. The majority of Jews probably do think that accepting lgbtq lifestyles is a Jewish value ( and many Orthodox Jews do as well) . You don’t have to agree but remember that this isn’t an orthodox organization. You can decide you don’t agree with their values and don’t want their books in their house but I’m confused why you think that all denominations need to have the same values that you do. They don’t.

Beautiful

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 5:48 pm
tichellady wrote:
Orthodox Jews don’t own Jewish values. The majority of Jews probably do think that accepting lgbtq lifestyles is a Jewish value ( and many Orthodox Jews do as well) . You don’t have to agree but remember that this isn’t an orthodox organization. You can decide you don’t agree with their values and don’t want their books in their house but I’m confused why you think that all denominations need to have the same values that you do. They don’t.

No. We DO own Jewish values. Some of which our less religious brethren share, some of which they have twisted to suit their own ends.
I really hope that "accepting lgbtq lifestyles" is NOT something that "many Orthodox Jews do" contrary to you wrote above. The G in lgbtq stands for gilui arayos, dintcha know? It's yehareig vaal yaavor.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 5:58 pm
tichellady wrote:

Jewish values come from the torah. Some of these values all denominations have maintained, others- only the Orthodox.
But certainly without question, anything that is in direct contradiction to the Torah is not a Jewish value.
It may be called some other value. But not a Jewish value.

Petra

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 6:00 pm
avrahamama wrote:
Kate and Allie?!?

Wait. that show was depicting 2 lesbians with their kids living together. Never seemed so overt to me. But then again, I might have been 12 or 14.

Beautiful

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 6:03 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Jewish values come from the torah. Some of these values all denominations have maintained, others- only the Orthodox.
But certainly without question, anything that is in direct contradiction to the Torah is not a Jewish value.
It may be called some other value. But not a Jewish value.

Thank you. You said it much nicer than I did!

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 6:05 pm
Petra wrote:
Wait. that show was depicting 2 lesbians with their kids living together. Never seemed so overt to me. But then again, I might have been 12 or 14.
It was most definitely NOT depicting 2 lesbians living together. it was 2 divorced mothers living, with their children, together in one house.
It was 1984, there was no outwardly gay anything on tv at that time.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 6:08 pm
Why all this arguing if the values are Jewish or not?
They think their values are Jewish, you think they are not.
Since they are the ones publishing and distributing these books (for free!) they get decide what and how is portrayed in their books.

You don't like it - stop accepting their freebies.

shabbatiscoming

FloridaFrum wrote:
Last thing I’m saying and then I’m done. I’m getting attacked, called short sighted, and closed minded because I’m appalled that Judaism is being spread to children totally misconstrued. Instead of defending it maybe you should be upset too, call PJ Library, write an email, and demand change. If you wouldn’t want your children to look at these book you shouldn’t want any Jewish child to see it. This isn’t a 100% secular thing. PJ Library is literally specifically targeting Jewish children.
Not everyone is appalled at this AND I dont think each book is trying to "spread judaism".

Here is their mission statement:
"PJ Library sends free Jewish children's books to families across the world every month. We know that something magical happens when parents sit down together to read with their children. PJ Library shares Jewish stories that can help your family talk together about values and traditions that are important to you.

A program of the Harold Grinspoon Foundation, PJ Library is made possible through partnerships with philanthropists and local Jewish organizations. Families raising kids from birth through 9 years old with Judaism as part of their lives, are welcome to sign up. PJ Library welcomes all Jewish families, whatever your background, knowledge, or family make-up, or observance may be."

Nothing about a monopoly on Orthodox values at all.

amother
Mustard

Petra wrote:

They were not lesbian. They were divorced women who were friends who found it easier/more affordable to share a living space and help co-parent each other’s children.
They were not lesbians. OMG!!!!
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics