Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
PJ Library book with two moms
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 6:28 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Not everyone is appalled at this AND I dont think each book is trying to "spread judaism".

Here is their mission statement:
"PJ Library sends free Jewish children's books to families across the world every month. We know that something magical happens when parents sit down together to read with their children. PJ Library shares Jewish stories that can help your family talk together about values and traditions that are important to you.

A program of the Harold Grinspoon Foundation, PJ Library is made possible through partnerships with philanthropists and local Jewish organizations. Families raising kids from birth through 9 years old with Judaism as part of their lives, are welcome to sign up. PJ Library welcomes all Jewish families, whatever your background, knowledge, or family make-up, or observance may be."

Nothing about a monopoly on Orthodox values at all.

They complete that statement with “PJ Library books can bring Jewish ideas & inspiration for you and your children to share your together.”

Again, not that Orthodoxy has a monopoly on Jewish values, but something that is explicitly stated as being problematic in the leah cannot be acknowledging as a Jewish value.

Additionally on their FAQ page they state that they strive to “curate the very best children’s story books that convey Jewish values, traditions, and themes for the broad spectrum of families raising Jewish children.”

While some of these families may view LGBT as a value, no one can legitimately say that something outright banned in the Torah itself is a Jewish value.

It’s interesting to me that they note that those identifying as Messianic Jews are not eligible.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 6:31 pm
Additionally, they very definitely are trying to spread Judaism, as one if their listed criteria for choosing a book is
“Will this book prompt family discussions about Jewish topics and lead families to consider making Jewish choices?”

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 6:32 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Not everyone is appalled at this AND I dont think each book is trying to "spread judaism".

Here is their mission statement:
"PJ Library sends free Jewish children's books to families across the world every month. We know that something magical happens when parents sit down together to read with their children. PJ Library shares Jewish stories that can help your family talk together about values and traditions that are important to you.

A program of the Harold Grinspoon Foundation, PJ Library is made possible through partnerships with philanthropists and local Jewish organizations. Families raising kids from birth through 9 years old with Judaism as part of their lives, are welcome to sign up. PJ Library welcomes all Jewish families, whatever your background, knowledge, or family make-up, or observance may be."

Nothing about a monopoly on Orthodox values at all.

And what makes a story Jewish? Characters who are Jewish? Or who live by Jewish values, I.e TORAH values?

As Enneamom said upthread, would all of you who are OK with the book in question be just as fine with a book featuring a Jewish man who cheats on his taxes?

OP, I'm with you 100%

elsily

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 6:48 pm
happy chick wrote:
Just as a side note, for anyone who is thinking of unsubscribing. They have a grant for which they give a $1,000 scholarship for children going to overnight camp for the first time. It pays to stay on just for that. It's not only for the child who is subscribed, but for a sibling of a subscribed child as well.

I’m surprised no one else was bothered by this comment. If you disagree with the content that’s being sent to you for free, wouldn’t you feel bad taking $1,000 from the organization? “It pays to stay on just for that.” Really? Let families who actually agree with their values get the scholarship.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:08 pm
I don’t think there is anything wrong with getting their books and discarding those you don’t agree with. There are no criteria or requirements when you sign up that you will read their propoganda or cultural lightened stories. Most of us sign up to pick and choose the neutral stories and to them it’s worth it to distribute the books for free to get out their messages to those who choose to read it. If they would charge probably no one would sign up.

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:20 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Why all this arguing if the values are Jewish or not?
They think their values are Jewish, you think they are not.
Since they are the ones publishing and distributing these books (for free!) they get decide what and how is portrayed in their books.

You don't like it - stop accepting their freebies.

Exactly! I’m seriously confused by the thought process and lack of critical thinking of some of the posters here

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:22 pm
Beautiful wrote:
No. We DO own Jewish values. Some of which our less religious brethren share, some of which they have twisted to suit their own ends.
I really hope that "accepting lgbtq lifestyles" is NOT something that "many Orthodox Jews do" contrary to you wrote above. The G in lgbtq stands for gilui arayos, dintcha know? It's yehareig vaal yaavor.

If this is your view you shouldn’t be getting books from a non orthodox organization since you have nothing to learn from them. This shouldn’t be a conversation. No one is making you read their books to your family.

basyaJosephs

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:27 pm
removed

enneamom

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:30 pm
tichellady wrote:
If this is your view you shouldn’t be getting books from a non orthodox organization since you have nothing to learn from them. This shouldn’t be a conversation. No one is making you read their books to your family.

I don't know if the poster you're quoting gets the books, but I don't get them and I'm sure not everyone who commented does either. I think we're allowed to discuss the topic even if we don't get the books.

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:41 pm
enneamom wrote:
I don't know if the poster you're quoting gets the books, but I don't get them and I'm sure not everyone who commented does either. I think we're allowed to discuss the topic even if we don't get the books.

I guess I feel it’s rather entitled, arrogant, and out of touch with reality, for Orthodox Jews to be upset about a non orthodox organization aimed at unaffiliated Jews promoting values that may be different than those in the orthodox community.

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:43 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
They complete that statement with “PJ Library books can bring Jewish ideas & inspiration for you and your children to share your together.”

Again, not that Orthodoxy has a monopoly on Jewish values, but something that is explicitly stated as being problematic in the leah cannot be acknowledging as a Jewish value.

Additionally on their FAQ page they state that they strive to “curate the very best children’s story books that convey Jewish values, traditions, and themes for the broad spectrum of families raising Jewish children.”

While some of these families may view LGBT as a value, no one can legitimately say that something outright banned in the Torah itself is a Jewish value.

It’s interesting to me that they note that those identifying as Messianic Jews are not eligible.

Non Orthodox Jews do not understand the Torah as banning people marrying people of the same sx. You may not agree with their reading of their Torah, and they will not agree with your reading of the Torah.

Last edited by tichellady on Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:50 pm
tichellady wrote:
I guess I feel it’s rather entitled, arrogant, and out of touch with reality, for Orthodox Jews to be upset about a non orthodox organization aimed at unaffiliated Jews promoting values that may be different than those in the orthodox community.

I sincerely hope it’s not coming from a place of arrogance or entitlement, obviously people are free to make choices as to what they’d like to promote.
And I honestly wouldn’t care about the misleading and inaccurate label of
“Jewish values “ except that I think these books actually do have an impact. If they noted the books as simply promoting “values” of [choose your own word] that would be more accurate possibly.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:55 pm
tichellady wrote:
Non Orthodox Jews do not understand the Torah as banning people marrying people of the same sx. You may not agree with their reading of their Torah, and they will agree with your reading of the Torah.

Based on Reform affiliated friends and family, I was under the impression that they do understand it this way but are of the belief that this is an archaic law and disagree.
I will certainly double check, for my own edification, but if you’d you specifically know differently I’d be interested to hear that.

number

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:16 pm
I can’t for the life of me understand why this thread is still going. Some reform/conservative members decided to distribute free books to any Jewish child, no matter their affiliation. So you want to complain over which books they distribute? Why not complain about what they teach in their schools, how they celebrate in their shuls, and everything else that comes with it? Your signing up for a free book subscription doesn’t give you the right to dictate how they run their program.

number

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:18 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Based on Reform affiliated friends and family, I was under the impression that they do understand it this way but are of the belief that this is an archaic law and disagree.
I will certainly double check, for my own edification, but if you’d you specifically know differently I’d be interested to hear that.
I assumed they put it into the same category as eating pork. Archaic, as you said.
So there’s no reason why they wouldn’t put it into the book. That’s not what they view as today’s Judaism r”l.

Beautiful

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:38 pm
tichellady wrote:

Of course not. And I certainly don't order them to my house. But I can still have an option about what an organization what claims it promotes Jewish values actually does.

To the poster who said she is shomeret Shabbat and has family members who are engaged in behavior that is antithetical to Torah true yiddishkeit, I will daven for you and you can daven for me that we all overcome our nisyonos.

It's now time for me to leave this website for a while. I wish you all well!
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics