Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do you regret starting child add meds or best decision ever
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 10:56 pm
How old was your child when you put them on add meds? What was your experience. Was it an easy transition and dose was right with no side effects? Do you wish you did it sooner or wish you never started? Have they been successfully weaned off and if yes at what age?

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 11:37 pm
My child was in second grade. It was challenging to find the right medication and dosage. The trial and error and side effects can be very difficult. But now that we've found what works I'm very grateful for it. We've tweaked the dosage over the years. Medication is a tool that gave my child the ability to learn the tools he needed. It was once explained to me- I can either keep pushing him up the hill or give him the tools he needs to climb the hill. Medication alone is not enough but it enabled the therapy etc to be much more effective and my child is blossoming.
Good luck with your decision. May you have clarity and peace of mind!

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 11:51 pm
I started my child in 1st grade. I was very nervous but the school did not think he would survive in a regular classroom without it.
He is on the younger side to start but the results spoke for themselves.
He is one the top kids in his class. He is confident and very smart.
BH the medication Ritalin LA was good from the start. I have stayed at the same dosage 10mg for 3 years already.
So only drawbacks are that it tones them down and I hope it doesnt hinder him when engaging in active sports.
I try to only give him the meds on school days (with doc approval) and if I feel I need him to be very well behaved I.e. we are getting together with relatives, going away etc. But then I do ferl guiltu.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 12:07 am
Started DS (now 14) on Ritalin in third grade but it did nothing for him, what helped him was a small class and special Ed. He has thrived since we got him remedial help and moved him to mainstream special Ed.
DD, 15 was on a different ADD med it on and off since sixth grade and it never did much for her. Over the past summer she we went back to the doctor and got a different dose and it had been the magic drug.
Not only is she actually doing school work and excelling, her social life has improved immensely, she’s volunteering, and she’s just a happy confident person. I’m so sorry we never thought to adjust doses earlier. It has completely changed her life.
DH stated rating Ritalin at 18 and it helped him immensely. He took it while in yeshiva and then in college when he had a big paper to write or to study for a test.
Now, as a lawyer, he still uses it occasionally if he has to study a case intensely or prepare for court. When he wrote a book a few years back he also relied on Ritalin.
Conversely, several of my siblings suffered severe depression as teens on Ritalin. But I gather that today there are better options without side effects.
I’m amother because this is my family members’ private medical information, not because I’m embarrassed my kids/DH are on meds.
For DH and DD it was a GD send, DS just needed something else.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 12:13 am
My mother does not regret medicating me, but I will always resent her for it.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 12:14 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
My mother does not regret medicating me, but I will always resent her for it.

Can you explain more?

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 12:25 am
My behavior "improved" because I was a zombie.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 12:27 am
Caffeine has similar effects to Ritalin.

Before trying Ritalin, Why don't you try a cup of caffeinated coffee first?

Other natural tips:

fish oil

magnesium

L-theanine

Avoid sugar

Avoid food coloring (mainly in candies)

More sleep

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 6:13 am
I resent that my parents refused to medicate me. My homework always took 3x as long as it should have. I was constantly getting in trouble for calling out.

In college I finally got myself evaluated and medicated so I could finish my college degree- without meds I just couldn’t get the work done.

number

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 6:19 am
You weren’t properly medicated, then. Medication needs to improve your focus without tuning you into a zombie, or you need to move on to a different medication.
Do you have adhd?

twizzlers1

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 7:15 am
For me it was the best decision ever. I started when he was six but it really took a long time to figure out the dose. Too much made him a zombie but the exact amount took him into a very challenging child into one that I actually enjoy spending time with him can concentrate in school.I can't say I'm perfect about giving it to him everyday especially now that he is home. I find that he's better than he used to be when I skip a day I'm not sure if it's because he just learned how to behave in a calmer way or if it affects him the next day still.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 7:21 am
My dd does not have terrible behavior problems. She has issues with focus in class, focus during homework, and general organization. She's also emotional and impulsive. We did try a low dose
ritalin and her grades improved a drop, but I found her to be a zombie with no appetite who was a wreck when the medicine wore off. She was still emotional and obviously no medicine is a cure for organization problems. It can maybe help in conjunction with OT or some other therapy. I'm curious if anyone here thinks I should try again with another medicine? Her grades and math skills are very weak. I'm wondering if this year of Corona rollercoasters of school closures is even the right time to try something new? Any thoughts?

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 7:38 am

Same. Everyone loved that I was quiet. In reality it numbed all my feelings and I hated it.

Can you work with the kid to give them the tools to deal with the world? Instead of medicating them?

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 7:49 am
Not op but Following this thread...

Dd age 9:has always had difficulty in school and organization. Some behavioral issues but not major. Terribly disorganized, difficulty focusing, and can’t follow through instructions without frequent reminders. She’s managing in school now with a few tutors and teachers accommodating her. Socially she has a hard time keeping up, but does have a few friends.

I’m noticing an add pattern. Lately I’m wondering if I should take her to a dr to evaluate her need for meds. I’m hesitant because she tends to get nauseas sometimes and is very skinny, I’m afraid the meds will make her eat less.she’s also super imaginative, creative and playful, she can really make us laugh. If meds will suppress that part of her I don’t think I could do it.

For those who’ve given meds, can you share your thoughts on that?

imasinger

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 7:59 am
I've had 3 kids on ADD meds. Although each had the diagnosis, each was and is different. One hated the stigma, and decided to stop. Still has huge issues with dropping possessions all over the place, and struggles with time management, but b"H, is slowly working on it. One loves how Adderall helps him, and doesn't want a day without it (though still needs help as a young adult making sure he doesn't run out, because he won't think about getting new prescription on time without a good reminder system). One switches every 3 months between different stimulant meds, in order to maximize help and minimize sleep disruption (psychiatrist supports this).

One thing I can say for sure, though -- for none of the three was creativity and imagination stifled!

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 8:03 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Same. Everyone loved that I was quiet. In reality it numbed all my feelings and I hated it.

Can you work with the kid to give them the tools to deal with the world? Instead of medicating them?

My ds had ADD and terrible behavior issues . He was medicated with zoloft they claimed he had a mild depression I dony know why they gave zoloft otherwise , because he needed to be medicated for his concentration and behavior issue more . They added another medicine but it didn't really do much accept that he slept a ton.. years later he found a super high school with the right people working with him and ever since he started he is a calmer different child . He used to be impulsive, aggressive, and didn't do well in school even he is very smart. After years of figuring out how we need to treat him since we've seen no progress with medication (I dont think he was on the right meds) we found people that has changed his life and behavior to the better. With everyone something else helps and it does take time to figure out what's best for DC. Sometimes just to find a right mentor or teacher with profession can do the job as it did for our ds. Today I'm really greatful for how ds made progress and reached milestone, that was without meds. All he needed was the right person coming with the right tools . Just wanna clarify that sometimes medication is not the best solution.

GL in finding what works for you child.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 9:26 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
My dd does not have terrible behavior problems. She has issues with focus in class, focus during homework, and general organization. She's also emotional and impulsive. We did try a low dose
ritalin and her grades improved a drop, but I found her to be a zombie with no appetite who was a wreck when the medicine wore off. She was still emotional and obviously no medicine is a cure for organization problems. It can maybe help in conjunction with OT or some other therapy. I'm curious if anyone here thinks I should try again with another medicine? Her grades and math skills are very weak. I'm wondering if this year of Corona rollercoasters of school closures is even the right time to try something new? Any thoughts?

Every medication has a different effect. There's no reason to believe that because one medication wasn't a good fit, no medication will be a good fit.

I'm so sorry for everyone who resents the way medication made them feel. This is why it's so imperative to work with a child psychiatrist who has lots of experience and will be patient in finding something that feels just right. BH today there are so many options as long as people can work through the process.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 9:35 am
My son was really ok, just not as focused as he could have been. He had no behaviour issues.
He was happy to go on meds and won’t miss a day. He’s 14, will remind me that he’s running low on pills so we don’t run out.
Best decision.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 9:38 am
My son sounds very similar to yours Coffee, and we have tried many different things that have not worked. Do you mind sharing what high school you found that helped your son. You can PM me if that's preferable.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 9:46 am
Im on ADD meds as an adult and I wish my parents would have put me on them as a child. I was ok in school but I would have had a much easier time, not have procrastinated everything and maybe I would have studied for tests/did my HW. I would have possibly went to a different seminary and college and pursued a different career. Obviously I know that what has happened in my life was what was supposed to but I still think about it every once in a while.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics