Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Having a successful start to the week after shabbat

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 8:29 am
I live in Israel so the work week starts on Sunday. I find every Sunday very hard to deal with, with the little kids. I just feel like they are off and have to readjust every week, particularly to my husband not being home etc. I dont even really know what the big adjustment is since they are not in school yet. One of them in specific is always cranky on Sundays. I always feel worn down much more than usual by the end of Sundays. Any suggestions?

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 8:42 am
Less napping on Shabbat?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 8:50 am
The kids only nap as much as they usually do during the week.

Amital

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 1:26 am
I find that my kids tend to like routines, and it can be a little rougher after Shabbat when we've broken our usual routines. What has helped for me is to talk about it and give information on what to expect.

For example, pretty much right after Shabbat is over now, we start getting ready for bed, and talk about the next day and what to expect--actually, we do this every day. My kids seem to respond better when they know what's going on!

This has helped limit tantrums in my now 3 year old, who seems to need to know what's going to happen. Explaining what to expect has made things easier with him in many ways! (He's very intense and strong willed.)

drumjj

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 2:28 am
I dont know about my kids but I always feel like im exhausted at the end of shabbos and that sunday is a really hard day and we actually have a sunday here but its usually trying to find entertainment for my kids as my husband is at work and its a really difficult day

Mishie

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 2:32 am
OP - Do your kids stay up late on Motza"sh?

My oldest is 9.5 and we have everyone go to sleep right after Havdala.
(In the summer, most of the kids go to sleep even before Shabbos is over).

I make sure to put out clothing for everyone the night before, just like I do during the week.

and, maybe try waking up a lil' earlier on Sunday morning, to give yourself some extra time.

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 9:31 am
sunday - I like to be laid back ... chillin ... need one day of the week like that ...

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 9:56 am
OP, I don't get it - if you are home with your kids all week, why is Sunday harder?

Mishie

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 12:52 pm
I wish we had "Sundays" here!!! It would def. make life a whole lot easier.

We never have "when" to do certain activities, like bring my boys for hair-cuts etc....

They all get home at diff. hours during the week, and by the time my oldest gets home, it's too late to shlep e/o....
and DH is out till very late every day.

So, basically, the only time we have "as a family" is on Shabbos.
But, it would be really cool to have another day, where you can get other stuff done.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 7:57 am
OP here. Yea Mishie I'm in Israel too. No sunday. I can try the telling them what to expect, but #1 they are very little. #2 in terms of their schedule, shabbat isnt so different than the rest of the week.
CM- why is Sun harder? I dont know! Maybe bc my husband is back to work after having him home for shabbat. I really dont know, hence my posting the question here.
No, they dont stay up any later than usual on motzei shabbat, and there really is no reason to get them up early on Sun since they arent yet in school.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics