Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
S/O feeling son he has asd
Previous  1  2

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 7:17 pm
Perhaps the child can benefit from counseling or a mentor /big sister little sister program for some extraTLC.

imasinger

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 7:29 pm
A good evaluator will be able to see fairly readily if this is a neurotypical kid with some issues because of home life, or if this is a kid with a diagnosis.

I have heard of less knowledgeable or ethical types who will be happy to say a kid has autism so that they can get ABA, which is helpful for many behavior challenges. But this family doesn't have to go to a person like that.

The evaluation should pinpoint exactly how and why the diagnosis is given, and it's usually evidence based.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 9:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Apparently there’s a way to just pay $500 and get one.
I know the kid very well. She’s wild but normal. She needs structure and a family unit that she feels part of as opposed to living with Bubby when everyone she knows has a mommy and tatty. She’s always asking aunts if they could be her mommy and if she could be their kid. That’s not an option for her though as her parents are her legal guardians and wouldn’t give that up. She’s desperate for a sense of belonging but she’s not autistic by any stretch. ABA therapy helps with conditioning behaviors so they feel like it’ll help her toe the line more.

No advice but my heart breaks for this poor child.

I hope the grandma will listen to you as me get her evaluated, it can’t hurt.

I don’t know your relationship but hopefully you can get through.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 11:28 pm
Yup. This is what is happening in many schools. There is a specific person who neuropsych for around 400-500 (which is very cheap for a private neuropsych) and she liberally gives asd label so that these kids can qualify for aba. The agencies bill the child’s insurance for the aba services, but at least in ny, insurance will only cover aba with an asd diagnosis. I work in the schools. I would say more than half the kids getting aba in mainstream schools aren’t actually autistic. It’s just a way to get the services. There’s a lot of interesting dynamics at play. I even know of one case where a school has a specific agency on premises whose head bcba observes the classes and basically recruits them for aba through their agency.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 11:31 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Yup. This is what is happening in many schools. There is a specific person who neuropsych for around 400-500 (which is very cheap for a private neuropsych) and she liberally gives asd label so that these kids can qualify for aba. The agencies bill the child’s insurance for the aba services, but at least in ny, insurance will only cover aba with an asd diagnosis. I work in the schools. I would say more than half the kids getting aba in mainstream schools aren’t actually autistic. It’s just a way to get the services. There’s a lot of interesting dynamics at play. I even know of one case where a school has a specific agency on premises whose head bcba observes the classes and basically recruits them for aba through their agency.

Sick sick sick. I'm so embarrassed for them. And then they'll be up in arms when someone catches on and services are cut Banging head

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 11:38 pm
This is disgusting. Many adults who have been through ABA say it's abusive. Even for someone with autism. Conditioning behaviors is a accurate description.

If someone's autistic beahviours aren't hurting anyone there's other way to teach them how to act socially appropriate in public. There's no reason they shouldn't do autistic things like stim at home in a safe place.

ABA is terrible for most people.

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 2:45 am
Unfortunately I'm not surprised...But do all these students have private insurance? Medicaid doesn't pay for aba. Besides you usually need a doctors prescription for aba therapy as well. Are the pedateicians giving out diagnosis as well?

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 11:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know a child who comes from a challenging background. Her parents are not capable of taking care of her for many reasons and she lives with grandparents. She is 5 and knows that she’s different. Her grandparents still have a few children living at home (youngest 9) and their house is not very structured anymore. The child is a smart kid who has definitely reached all her milestones at the right ages and isn’t lacking in any area. At home and with all her cousins she does amazing. She does have some behavioral issues that manifest themself in school and her teachers are pushing for her to get a diagnosis of ASD so she can get ABA therapy. She does have some OT in school already.
Grandma doesn’t want to label the kid and feels like she just needs a more patient teacher who will show her more love. The teacher is pretty tough. The school is threatening her that they won’t be able to keep her in school.
Wwyd?

OP how are you involved in this child's life, how can you help her? Are you a family member that can speak to her grandparents?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)