Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Contigo mug is so dirty inside brown film, How to clean?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 30 2021, 11:01 pm
my contigo mug that I use for coffee is so dirty inside, it's coated with brown stuff and soap doesn't take it off. I don't have a dishwasher I can use for it. Is there a way to get the disgusting brown film off and once I get it off, how do I clean it so it doesn't come back again?

challahchallah

Post Sat, Jan 30 2021, 11:05 pm
Have you tried scrubbing with a bottle brush? Have you let it soak? Is it the lid or the cup that’s the problem?

ddmom

Post Sat, Jan 30 2021, 11:25 pm
The rubber pc on my contingo lid was also very dirty! I soaked it in a bowl of bleach for a whole day until all the black stuff disappeared. I was worried that it might be mildew!
Bh, it worked!!! I plan on doing it again soon.
Just rinse very well afterwards!

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 30 2021, 11:27 pm
I don't know what kind of mug it is - can you clean it like a coffee urn with citric acid/sour salt?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 30 2021, 11:30 pm
It's the cup that's disgustingly dirty. The inside is coated with like brown stuff from coffee and it doesn't come off with soap. I don't think a bottle brush would make it come off at this point. The cover is less dirty than the inside of the cup.
contigo is a metal mug for hot and cold liquids with plastic lid. I can try should I just soak it in sour salt with hot water?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 30 2021, 11:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's the cup that's disgustingly dirty. The inside is coated with like brown stuff from coffee and it doesn't come off with soap. I don't think a bottle brush would make it come off at this point.

Is it a metal cup?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 30 2021, 11:32 pm
yes, it's a metal cup with plastic lid

Skippy!!

Post Sat, Jan 30 2021, 11:33 pm
I wash the cup with water so that it's wet and scrub the dirt with salt or baking soda.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 30 2021, 11:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
yes, it's a metal cup with plastic lid

Buy some citric acid (you can find it in the spice aisle in a spice jar labeled sour salt). Fill cup with warm water and add 2 tbsp citric acid. Let it soak overnight. Scrub off whatever is left with a scouring pad and wash very well.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sat, Jan 30 2021, 11:41 pm
I have contigo coffee mugs.
Wash them out at the end of every day using a brush made for the contigo mugs (better than bottle brushes IMHO) with hot water. Also scrub the cover well.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 12:37 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
I have contigo coffee mugs.
Wash them out at the end of every day using a brush made for the contigo mugs (better than bottle brushes IMHO) with hot water. Also scrub the cover well.
which brush?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 12:37 am
thanks everyone

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 10:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
which brush?

I bought it from Costco. I no longer have the packaging. Perhaps search online for contigo coffee mugs and scroll to see 'people also bought .....'?

If I have time later, I'll search for you and attach a link.

zaq

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 11:38 am
Pour in a little bleach, close it, and swirl the bleach around. Should be spanking clean in about 60 seconds. Then rinse, rinse, rinse like mad and let dry.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 1:27 pm
Will steel wool ruin it?

zaq

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 2:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's the cup that's disgustingly dirty. The inside is coated with like brown stuff from coffee and it doesn't come off with soap. I don't think a bottle brush would make it come off at this point. The cover is less dirty than the inside of the cup.
contigo is a metal mug for hot and cold liquids with plastic lid. I can try should I just soak it in sour salt with hot water?

Citric acid or vinegar works on mineral deposits left behind when water evaporates. However, if your mug stays wet for long periods of time, the brown film may also be mold, which citric acid will not remove. For that you need bleach. DO NOT MIX BLEACH WITH EITHER ACID.

jj1236

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 3:17 pm
I had this same problem with my swell bottle! It always grossed me out but didn't know what to do. I just put bleach in it and it looks brand new! Thanks!

Sleepymama

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 4:19 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Contigo.....6A738

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 4:52 pm
zaq wrote:
Citric acid or vinegar works on mineral deposits left behind when water evaporates. However, if your mug stays wet for long periods of time, the brown film may also be mold, which citric acid will not remove. For that you need bleach. DO NOT MIX BLEACH WITH EITHER ACID.
I would be nervous to put bleach in a cup. The brown film I think is from coffee that stayed behind when I finished drinking and didn't wash till I got home. I hope it's not mold because I kept drinking from it. I ended up using a wet brillo soap pad with a knife to reach the bottom and just kept trying to scrub it and after 20 minutes I was able to completely clean the mug, it looks brand new. thanks everyone. I'm going to get some brushes too.

zaq

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 5:17 pm
There's no reason to be afraid of putting bleach in your cup. As long as you rinse the cup very well after bleaching it, you're fine. I routinely bleach my stained food containers and dishes about once a year or so, as well as my stainless steel thermos and coffeemaker. You may want to use diluted bleach rather than full strength, and keep it away from any aluminum parts or electrical fittings. Even if any bleach were to remain after you rinse--which would not happen if you rinsed thoroughly--any residual bleach would break down within a day.

Did you know that dentists use diluted bleach to rinse out your cavity when doing root canal?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry