Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bais Yaakov Seminaries in Israel and Rules

Malkaslp

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 5:44 pm
Hi- My daughter is in 11th grade and I'm just starting to research and speak with people about different seminaries.

I'm curious to know if there are any 'Bais Yaakov' seminaries that:
1- Don't have a uniform
2-Allow students to travel 'over the green line' with permission
3- don't lock the dorms at night

Thank you!

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 5:50 pm
I dont know of any BY seminaries that dont do any of those things.
My question is... why would you want them?
1. uniforms make getting dressed so easy and reduces peer pressure (most have dress codes, only two that I know of have a uniform)
2. Most seminaries would allow this with extensive permission from parents etc, but this rule is for the safety of the students
3. This rule is DEFINITELY for the safety of the students! these are 18 year old children who the seminary has taken on responsibility for. Im not sure why anyone wouldnt want their child in a seminary without a curfew and a locked door at night

SuperWify

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 5:56 pm
Are you serious?

Would you really want your 18 year old on a seminary that doesn’t lock its doors at night???

Malkaslp

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 6:11 pm
I find it very confusing when we have adult expectations such as discussing and making career choices and marriage but then also treating these young ladies as 'children' at the same time.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 6:13 pm
As an adult I looked back on my seminary year and noted a number of things that I hope have changed by now:

I hope for safety reasons the doors to the dorm are no longer locked at night with just the madrichot holding the keys to open them. Curfew is important, but so is the ability to leave the dorm in the event of an emergency.

I hope all dorms are equipped with smoke detectors (could be ours were and I never noticed them).

Uniforms to me are a non-issue, if the sem has one, great; if not, also great.

Rules about going places? At my super right wing sem we didn’t really have rules as I recall. I think they may have vetted shabbos locations as far as going to the shtachim.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 7:07 pm
My daughter went to Darchei Binah.

No uniform.

I signed a paper stating that she cant go with friends to certain areas, which included Kever Rochel. I did note that she can go with family and school.

Im not sure if they ever lock the doors, there is a combination and kids can come in. My daughter was once at term until really late, she didn't have an problems. They do have curfew and they contact you if you are late. There are consequences for even being 1 min late. They did allow my daughter to sleep at her grandparents when she asked.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 7:24 pm
Do you lock your doors at night? I'm sure you do.
So do seminaries.
It's a safety issue

These seminaries have a huge achrayus for the safety and security of the girls.

Curfew is so important.

I went to a very strict (the strictest?) seminary.
A girl was attacked by a man on a semi-deserted main road around 9 pm. Before curfew.
Supposedly she kicked him and got away.
She was traumatized and slept in madricha room for a while.

And that was WITH curfews, penalties, principal saying to never ever take steps that connect streets by yourself...

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 7:34 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Do you lock your doors at night? I'm sure you do.
So do seminaries.
It's a safety issue

These seminaries have a huge achrayus for the safety and security of the girls.

Curfew is so important.

I went to a very strict (the strictest?) seminary.
A girl was attacked by a man on a semi-deserted main road around 9 pm. Before curfew.
Supposedly she kicked him and got away.
She was traumatized and slept in madricha room for a while.

And that was WITH curfews, penalties, principal saying to never ever take steps that connect streets by yourself...

Do you lock everyone in your house in from the outside? C'mon it's weird to lock adults in and punish them for coming home after 10:00.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 7:36 pm
I'm not responsible for 150 irresponsible teens Smile

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 9:15 pm
Malkaslp wrote:
I find it very confusing when we have adult expectations such as discussing and making career choices and marriage but then also treating these young ladies as 'children' at the same time.

You would be ok with your 18 year old daughter leaving the house and showing up whatever hour she pleased, without you knowing the details of her whereabouts? This is what the seminary would be essentially agreeing to if they didn't know that every student was accounted for by a certain time every night.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 9:21 pm
Right! For everyone’s safety the numbers alone require that everyone be known to be in for the night by a certain hour- someone can’t stay up all night to ensure everyone gets back safely
And if someone were unaccounted for for their own safety best to know right away
While e”y is “home” still unfamiliar territory for most and many girls are naive as well and on their own for the first time

pinkpeonies

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 9:30 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Do you lock everyone in your house in from the outside? C'mon it's weird to lock adults in and punish them for coming home after 10:00.

Its really not weird.
First of all, while seminary girls may be "adults" technically, they are in a school environment and I can guarantee you have a school girl mentality.
Second of all, 150 parents have placed trust in the seminary to keep their child safe. That is a tremendous responsibility. If they didnt take that seriously with strict curfew rules, that would be terrible.
And who doesnt lock their doors at night??
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics