Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
6th grade DS absolutely hates school

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 10:07 pm
Great kid- smart and popular. Medicated for adhd since 4th grade. Was doing great until COVID hit and they were out of school so much between last year and this that he just cannot stand going to school on a consistent basis. His rebbe this year is not the best- the type who was pretty unhelpful when we discussed with him these issues. He said we should think of incentives and come back to him. We spoke to principal and he suggested we bring him after davening every day which helped for a short time but at this point he is miserable every night saying he won’t go the next day. (Which he does) begging to get homeschooled. I feel so bad for him. Another thing that changed is that bec it’s so cold they aren’t having official football games outside which was always something super exciting for him and enough to keep him happy. What do you ladies do when you have a kid who so severely hates school?

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 10:11 pm
Maybe if he goes to school and behaves, one sunday a month you give him a
"mental health" day off from school
and take him on a little trip - ice skating, bowling, ice cream store, etc.

gibberish

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 10:11 pm
Is there a parallel class that would work better for him?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 10:13 pm
gibberish wrote:
Is there a parallel class that would work better for him?

Unfortunately no. I would even consider switching schools but he’s so attached to friends he won’t.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 10:14 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Maybe if he goes to school and behaves, one sunday a month you give him a
"mental health" day off from school
and take him on a little trip - ice skating, bowling, ice cream store, etc.

Offered him that plus.
Still hating it Sad

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 10:15 pm
Is homeschooling an option? Online school somewhere?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 10:20 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Is homeschooling an option? Online school somewhere?

He’s begging for that. We know he will miss friends terribly but we are willing to try. Do you have any ones to recommend

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 10:22 pm
Is he miserable because he's bored? Or is it something else?

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 10:28 pm
If you have the ability to homeschool and are willing to do so, I don't see the dilemma.
I don't have specific recommendations, but why don't you add to the thread title and maybe some posters can chime in.
Worse comes to worst, it's just a few months till summer and you can always have him start 7th grade in person in the fall.

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 10:39 pm
We pulled ds a few years back in the middle of the school year in 6th grade. It was a teacher and classmate issue and it was going no where with no help insight. I was reminded of something someone told me years ago and it was "you are your child's ONLY advocate" you know in your gut what is best for him. We homeschooled until the end of the year and fortunately middle school changed lost of things and ds went back to to brick and mortar. Not saying it will be the same for you, but there are so many fantastic resources out there. Just search on here under homeschool. if you choose the homeschool route just remember no need to reinvent the wheel- there are so many great online options and materials.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 10:52 pm
I have a dd who hates school and is miserable this year. Her teachers are not so experienced and the main teacher seems to be emotionally unstable. DD also struggles academically and with no teacher who is teaching exceptionally well and no teacher who shows she cares, this year is so, so sad for DD.
I’m having a hard time understanding what is so difficult for your son. Is it teachers, work, friends?
In my DD’s situation I’ve asked her about homeschooling and she is against it saying she would be considered socially off and wouldn’t have friends.
The only thing that keeps her going is that I sometimes pick her up early and take her someplace fun. Really almost any place is fun when you don’t want to be sitting in class. Sometimes I’ll drive her late and every once in a while I’ll give her a day off.
Friends is really the most important thing at this age. More important than school work. You really don’t want your son to have to give up his friends. Try to figure out what’s bothering him and what you can do to make him happy.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 10:58 pm
If her son wants homeschooling, I don't see the problem. Who cares what other people think? Don't box your child into a miserable situation because some people might see it as socially off. FWIW, I think girls are way more self conscious about that sort of social status at that age than boys are. I doubt his friends would care.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)