Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
S/O Challah & Dips?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 9:54 am
I guess this is a spin-off of multiple threads.
Can someone please explain the challah & dips for mm to me please? I'm not shaming or anything, but this is such a foreign concept to me.
Growing up, mm was always fruit, candy, hamentaschen, etc. I've never heard of giving things like challah or kugel or things like that.
Is this a chassidish thing?

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 9:57 am
No, it's not a chassidish thing, just the opposite. All my non chassidish neighbors give real food type of things.

cbsp

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 9:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I guess this is a spin-off of multiple threads.
Can someone please explain the challah & dips for mm to me please? I'm not shaming or anything, but this is such a foreign concept to me.
Growing up, mm was always sweets, candy, hamentaschen, etc. I've never heard of giving things like challah or kugel or things like that.
Is this a chassidish thing?

The actual point of mishloach manos is to have something ready to eat for the seudah. Our Rov (Rabbi Yosef Viener, not chassidish) has always said to give at least one mishloach manos that fulfills that requirement, the others could be candy or whatnot.

(doesn't mean the recipient has to actually eat it for their seudah. But something that's considered "real food")

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:44 am
cbsp wrote:
The actual point of mishloach manos is to have something ready to eat for the seudah. Our Rov (Rabbi Yosef Viener, not chassidish) has always said to give at least one mishloach manos that fulfills that requirement, the others could be candy or whatnot.

(doesn't mean the recipient has to actually eat it for their seudah. But something that's considered "real food")

I've definitely heard of that, but nobody I know actually does it. Maybe they figure it'll be for "dessert"?

Frumme

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 11:07 am
We always try to be respectful of other people's kashrus concerns. I would rather give store bought hamantaschen and a clementine that I know might not be eaten at the seudas but might be eaten later than a small potato kugel and tomato dip that might be tossed and not eaten anyway. Some people do not eat anything homemade from mishloach manos, especially if they are getting 20 from all of their neighbors and friends and can't remember who gave what.

When I have made homemade goods for MM, it's generally for people who I know would eat it. But even then I usually do a small dessert like a cupcake or hamantasch.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 11:09 am
Frumme wrote:
We always try to be respectful of other people's kashrus concerns. I would rather give store bought hamantaschen and a clementine that I know might not be eaten at the seudas but might be eaten later than a small potato kugel and tomato dip that might be tossed and not eaten anyway. Some people do not eat anything homemade from mishloach manos, especially if they are getting 20 from all of their neighbors and friends and can't remember who gave what.

When I have made homemade goods for MM, it's generally for people who I know would eat it. But even then I usually do a small dessert like a cupcake or hamantasch.

Anything homemade gets thrown away except
if it comes from close family or close friends I really know & it looks appetizing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics