Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
How do I make chicken soup in a crockpot?

bargainlover

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 12:11 pm
I want to let it cook a whole day, while I am at work. Don’t want to leave a pot on the flame. What temp should I leave on - high? And regular recipe?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 12:21 pm
High for 4 hours. Expect sediment to settle from the chicken.

bargainlover

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 12:41 pm
ra_mom wrote:
High for 4 hours. Expect sediment to settle from the chicken.

Thank you!

bookie

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:39 pm
Bumping this up. Can I make my regular chicken soup? Is there a specific recipe? Can I cook on low for eight hours instead?

Ruchi

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:42 pm
bookie wrote:
Bumping this up. Can I make my regular chicken soup? Is there a specific recipe? Can I cook on low for eight hours instead?

Absolutely yes!

However, if you put in any chicken bottoms , they will be almost falling off the bone after 8 hours.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:46 pm
bookie wrote:

Start off with boiling water if you're cooking on low.

Amarante

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:48 pm
Here is all day crock pot - you can adjust seasonings to your taste obviously

Slow-Cooker Lemony Chicken Soup

This lemony, herbal take on chicken soup highlights produce, but the basic technique is useful any time you want chicken soup with minimum effort. Slow-cooking chicken in stock creates a richly flavored, double-concentrated stock. Homemade stock is ideal, but you can also use your favorite store-bought stock or bouillon cubes. This recipe is flexible: If peas and asparagus aren’t available, substitute two cups of quick-cooking vegetables, like fresh or frozen corn, baby spinach or arugula, or thinly sliced zucchini. Instead of tortellini, you can add an equivalent amount of cooked pasta or grains.

INGREDIENTS

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

6 cups chicken stock or broth
1¼ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 leeks, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise then thinly sliced crosswise (about 2 cups)
2 carrots, sliced about ½-inch thick
2 celery stalks, sliced about ½-inch thick
4 garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon red-pepper flakes
½ teaspoon onion powder
Black pepper and kosher salt
1 lemon, juiced (2 to 3 tablespoons)
1 cup sliced asparagus (about 12 ounces, trimmed and sliced ½-inch thick)
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
½ cup chopped soft fresh herbs, such as dill, mint, tarragon, parsley, chives or a mixture

PREPARATION

In a 6- to 8-quart slow cooker, combine the stock, chicken, leeks, carrots, celery, garlic, red-pepper flakes, onion powder and several generous grinds of black pepper. Add ½ teaspoon kosher salt if using salted stock, 1 teaspoon kosher salt if using low-sodium stock or 2 teaspoons kosher salt if using unsalted stock. Cover and cook on low until the chicken and vegetables are very tender, about 7 hours.

Increase the heat to high. Using two forks, tear apart the chicken into bite-size pieces. Add the lemon juice, asparagus, peas and tortellini, if using, to the soup. Cover and cook until the vegetables are tender to crisp-tender, and the tortellini is cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes. Stir in the herbs; season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls to serve.

twogees

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 10:20 pm
I make my regular recipe in my crockpot. I just don't put in any spices since I let it cook from late Thursday night till we eat it Friday night and I feel like the chicken and veggies add their own flavor.

Last edited by twogees on Sat, Feb 04 2023, 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

bookie

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 10:43 pm
Thanks everyone
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics