Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cost of seminary in israel
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

dilego

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 3:50 am
Just to correct a little. Yeshivas Mir you pay extra for sleeping appartements and the cost like a few hundred dollars per bed.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 5:21 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Because the heads of the seminaries need to make a loooot of money, that's why. I'm not talking about the individual staff members (although I think lots do get a nice salary). The owners of these seminaries seriously rake in the dough.
Think about this next time you commit to paying this down for 10 years. It's all so someone else can get super-rich. They could accomplish the same thing in half the price if they wanted to. Must be nice.

Not neccesarily. Most seminaries go on extravagant trips. Scuba diving in Eilat isn't cheap. Neither are the busses, food, olaces they rent for Shabbaton, etc

I went to Chedvas which is an Israeli American seminary. No trips. No dorm.ojr Shabbaton took place in seminaries that went away for shabbos to fancy places. They were all in Jerusalem. And we paid so much less. So so much less. For those that want to dorm there is a dorming cost. At the end of the year we went on a really simple trip, went to a park, and then had a nicer Shabbaton in a nice place.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 6:16 am
Costed around $21k each year.

I went to Bais Yaakov my entire K-12 life, went to a smaller non Bais Yaakov seminary for 2 years ( I didnt even want to go originally but our guidance counselor pushed me to apply to just one place of my choice). I know without a shadow of a doubt I would not be religious today without having gone to seminary. Was one of the best decisions of my life.

Malkaslp

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 10:31 am
Has anyone made a spreadsheet or compared the actual costs of the different seminaries? Are some more affordable than others? Are some more known to give help when asked? Thanks!

amother
Black

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 10:45 am
How much do the American Bais Yakov seminaries cost, including the dorm option, and (optional) Israel trip? I would love to know the price difference.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 11:03 am
There are some seminaries that are known to give significant scholarships, and some, none at all. I was recently involved in raising $$$ to send the child of a relative to seminary. We paid the seminary 10K. There was also the cost of linens, toiletries, etc...and two plane tickets (she would have stayed for Pesach, but ended up coming home due to COVID).

So there definitely are cheaper options. She went to a frum, RW BY seminary, not one of the top top ones that do not give significant breaks. It was a very positive experience for her.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 5:40 pm
I know a few ppl(including me!) that applied to a few seminaries and planning to attend the one that gives them the best scholarships!!!

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 11:50 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
I know a few ppl(including me!) that applied to a few seminaries and planning to attend the one that gives them the best scholarships!!!

Planning on doing this for dd. She already had 2 of 3 seminary interviews, though haven’t received any reply back.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 12:47 am
All the BY seminaries are sending out acceptances on March 1. Just wanted the previous poster to know as it seemed that she was expecting responses already.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 1:41 am
My niece got four scholarships so the tickets and spending was all that costed her and had a great experience.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 2:42 am
I got a full scholarship and only needed to pay for my airline tickets, bh! I volunteered a lot teaching classes when I came back as part of my scholarship.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 8:18 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
My niece got four scholarships so the tickets and spending was all that costed her and had a great experience.

Which seminaries?

Any of those scholarships not from seminary itself?

amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
I got a full scholarship and only needed to pay for my airline tickets, bh! I volunteered a lot teaching classes when I came back as part of my scholarship.

Which seminary?

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 8:20 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
All the BY seminaries are sending out acceptances on March 1. Just wanted the previous poster to know as it seemed that she was expecting responses already.

I heard that darchei binah and michlala already started to send out acceptances; and possibly Bnos chava.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 8:29 am
Will just point out for the fun of it. Camp is 4.3K for 1 month. Sem is 25K for 10.
Way cheaper than summer camp!

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 9:16 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Will just point out for the fun of it. Camp is 4.3K for 1 month. Sem is 25K for 10.

We obviously don't pay for sumer camp!!!
My kids don't attend or go as mother's helpers for $400! Wink

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 10:04 am
So what are these scholarships? Can you list names and details? For Oot by sem types. I'm have idea how we can pay so much! Help!

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:16 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
How many credits can a girl expect to get from a year at a typical BY seminary? I'd love to hear the range, from 0-?.

I got 30 from BYA and my friend got 32 from BJJ (transfer credits, didn't pay a dime to transfer). If you do Touro Israel option, it's 36.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:19 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:

Which is exactly y my kids never went to sleep-a-way camp.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:22 am
I went to BYA. My parents paid $7K in tuition. We got a scholarship because I had top grades (valedictorian top) and my high school principal thought it was vital for me to go, so he pulled for me.

My sister went to Machon Raaya, and I think my parents paid about $10K.

Now, my next sister applied to Machon Raaya and Bnos Sarah, and the lowest either of the seminaries was willing to go was $16K. I think my parents are paying that, or possibly more because Masa got cut. (When I went to seminary, Masa was $3800 if your family income was less than $30K*number of kids in the family).

While my seminary year changed my life, it was because of a terrible home situation. I hope my children will have a different experience. I'd still hope to be able to send them, but only if I could get a scholarship or my DD worked to cover some of the cost. There's no way we can afford those prices (or much more bloated, as they will be by the time my 2-year-old gets to that age!)

cat81

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:23 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
So what are these scholarships? Can you list names and details? For Oot by sem types. I'm have idea how we can pay so much! Help!

As usual it’s the Jewish middle class that gets the hardest. By my estimate it’s those that make $100-150k/ yr that is the worst position.

Too much income to qualify for Pell grant and other programs incl scholarships from seminary itself, not in chinuch, but not make enough to pay $25,000 for 1 child’s tuition.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics