Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
What do you do with "baby curses"?
Previous  1  2

What do you do with "baby curses"? (Silly insults)
Nip it in the bud, it's a bad habit  
 41%  [ 16 ]
Leave it alone, they'll grow out of it  
 58%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 39

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 1:40 pm
Shuly wrote:
My Israeli kids say: "Na na banana, shokolad batata"

I usually ignore. If the person getting taunted is getting upset, I say something like, yum I would love to try chocolate sweet potato! X (person they are taunting) must be so yummy!

My older kids have all outgrown saying it, with no harmful side effects.

Mine say "na na banana, shokolad banana."

SuperWify

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 2:13 pm
We ignore if he says it’s to us. If he’s taunting a child his age he gets a warning first and a chance to apologize and if it continues a dot of lemon juice on his tongue.

Bleemee

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 2:20 pm
What do you mean broader context?

mochamix18

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 3:30 pm
Shuly wrote:
My Israeli kids say: "Na na banana, shokolad batata"

I usually ignore. If the person getting taunted is getting upset, I say something like, yum I would love to try chocolate sweet potato! X (person they are taunting) must be so yummy!

My older kids have all outgrown saying it, with no harmful side effects.

Now this one I’ve definitely heard my son say but not often.

Rappel

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 3:54 pm
Bleemee wrote:
What do you mean broader context?

I thought it was just a made-up word he bandied with DD, and open to any interpretation. But now I know that it's definitively an insult/expletive in his peer group.

I think I'm going to leave this one to die off on its own.

BadTichelDay

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 3:58 pm
My kids use the batata merusseket and na na banana as well. I always thought it was kind of cute and harmless, therefore it never occurred to me to do anything against it.
When ds recently picked up an English four letter word that rhymes with pluck from a video on youtube, it was of course a different story - we made it clear to him that it is a bad word and we don't use it. He's stopped using it but he still winked a few times at me with a smile and said, Ima, that word, I still wonder what it means really... can't you tell me?

Rappel

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 4:02 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:
My kids use the batata merusseket and na na banana as well. I always thought it was kind of cute and harmless, therefore it never occurred to me to do anything against it.
When ds recently picked up an English four letter word that rhymes with pluck from a video on youtube, it was of course a different story - we made it clear to him that it is a bad word and we don't use it. He's stopped using it but he still winked a few times at me with a smile and said, Ima, that word, I still wonder what it means really... can't you tell me?

איזה שובב! LOL

My mum told us when we were little that, erm, "pluck," meant we wanted someone to get hit by a truck. I think she was flustered at the time.

mochamix18

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 4:35 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:

Evidently one of my older brothers had a hard time saying fire truck when he was toddler. I guess you can imagine what it sounded like.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 4:37 pm
I would tell a kid that it's not tzniusdik to say.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 4:38 pm
mochamix18 wrote:
Evidently one of my older brothers had a hard time saying fire truck when he was toddler. I guess you can imagine what it sounded like.

Yes. One of mine couldn't say tr for the longest time. And was enamored by trucks. Screamed every time he saw one.
TMI TMI

mochamix18

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 9:41 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Yes. One of mine couldn't say tr for the longest time. And was enamored by trucks. Screamed every time he saw one.
TMI TMI

LOL LOL

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 9:58 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
I would tell a kid that it's not tzniusdik to say.

Nope nope nope nope nope. When you blame things on tznius then they grow up with a negative association with it, even subconsciously. It becomes the big bad tznius vs we dress and act how we do because we are bnos melachim. Don't make yiddishkeit negative in the eyes of your kids!!! So unless you are giving a full deep shmooze on their level about how are words are tznius or not, don't do it.

Sorry it's a little off topic but I got triggered.

ETA: I forgot a nope.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 4:48 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Nope nope nope nope nope. When you blame things on tznius then they grow up with a negative association with it, even subconsciously. It becomes the big bad tznius vs we dress and act how we do because we are bnos melachim. Don't make yiddishkeit negative in the eyes of your kids!!! So unless you are giving a full deep shmooze on their level about how are words are tznius or not, don't do it.

Sorry it's a little off topic but I got triggered.

ETA: I forgot a nope.

It’s actually accurate. The definition of that word is something not tznius to mention in public. A discussion of lashon naki may follow.

Rappel

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 5:24 am
TMI TMI

"Fork," plus a baby Israeli lisp, is also a bad combination. LOL

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 8:17 am
Iymnok wrote:
It’s actually accurate. The definition of that word is something not tznius to mention in public. A discussion of lashon naki may follow.

Yes, you you are right in a literal sense. Just like having a tantrum in public is not tznius. But would you tell a child she can't tantrum in public because it's not tznius? It's a lazy way to try to get your child to stop doing things. And it's only productive if it's coming from the right place, which is why I could imagine a real Tzaddik being able to use that reasoning with his young child as it doesn't seem fake. Your average 27 yr old telling her child not to say stupid or a bathroom word because it's not tznius is most likely not teaching her child anything.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 12:01 pm
TMI TMI

Are you my sister? LOL

In her case, it was even worse because her DS has autism, and trucks were his special interest for a very long time.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers