Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Cholent for Dummies?

ChaviD

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 9:40 am
Ok. I just read some cholent recipes but would anyone mind being VERY SPECIFIC on how to make it? It is very embarrasing that I don't know how to make cholent!! I don't eat it and my husband doesn't like it so I rarely make it and when I have I feel like I somehow do something wrong because most people don't have "recipes" and just throw everything in a pot!!. My inlaws are coming soon for Shabbos and I need a specific "fool proof" recipe. (Including what time to put it up if we plan on eating around 12:30 Shabbos day?) I wouldn't mind if it were on the healthier side also - if such a thing excists...

THANK YOU!!

p.s. I one time had a delish sfardi cholent with fruit and some other things in it. Anyone have a recipe for that?

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 9:46 am
chavi, I don't have a specific recipe, but if you and hubby don't eat cholent, why make it? do your in-laws require cholent? just make whatever you normally have for shabbos. if you want to experiment with a new recipe, it's best to try when you're not having guests over, just in case the recipe gets botched.

that being said, my recipe involves pouring random things in a crock pot.

ss321

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 9:54 am
Fool proof-really simple. But IDK Ive never heard of a sefardi chulent w/ fruits in it, this is pretty ashkenazi tasting (except no beans add at your own risk. we hate them so we leave them out)

For a crock pot that holds about 4 liters of water

Friday morning (I do it early but any time before 10 am should be fine)

peel 5 medium sized potatoes and cut them into thirds or quarters.
add that to the chulent pot

take a piece of meat, called "flanken" or "beef for stewing" (anywhere from 4 dollars to 12 dollars) and add that

add one marrow bone, if you can buy this. IDK if they sell these in regular supermarkets outside the NY area.

peel one onion, and either put it in whole, or cut it into quarters. I like putting it in whole, just cuz I think it looks prettier afterwords. makes no difference taste wise.

add about 1/3 of a bag of barley (if you are going to add beans add a bit less barley but like I said I never use beans)

fill almost to the top (I say almost in case you want to add stuff later: such as - eggs, add right before shabbos 2 cooked eggs sefardim do this its really good, or kishke-better to add later, dont wrap it in tin foil just put it in abt 1 hr b4 shabbos should be fine)
and now add the spices:
Beef seasoning (about 5 or 6 tablespoons of it)
garlic powder- half a tablespoon
paprika - same, half a tablespoon
I add like 10 or 15 peppercorns but I guess you can just use regular pepper....

Turn the crock pot up to "HIGH," keep it on high unless it starts boiling over, then turn it to low for a little while. About 1 hr before Shabbos, turn it to low, and right before Shabbos, turn it to "keep warm." By Shabbos morning it should smell amazing and by lunch time it should be ready to go.

I tried to write out each and every step

MiamiMommy

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 10:55 am
I made awful chulent when I was first married. I played around, and now I have something that people actually like!

1 pack chulent meat
a few marrow bones
4 or 5 potatoes
1/3 bag barley
1/3 bag chulent beans
1 onion, cut up
a few sliced sausages
sometimes I add a can of chickpeas too

Put that all in the pot.

Seasoning:

salt
pepper
paprika
garlic
a dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
onion soup mix
Heinz 57 sauce (quite a bit!)

Mix it all together, add water to cover, mix again.
Put it on high, turn to low right before Shabbos. I don't put it on warm anymore, low seems to be better. Make sure the water is still covering it.

Sometimes I wrap potato kugel in foil and put it in the chulent. It's yum! I almost always put eggs in. I put them in raw, they cook in the chulent.

I prepare the chulent Thursday night, as I work Friday. When I get home, I take it out of the fridge and turn it on. :-)

MiamiMommy

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 10:59 am
I forgot to add "steak seasoning" to the list of ingredients!

gryp

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 11:04 am
I finally learned how to make cholent too.

5-6 potatoes
about 1 cup assorted beans
1/2 cup barley
1 sweet potato, if I have
a piece of chicken
fake kishke kugel (salt, pepper, paprika, 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 cup hot water, 1.5 cups flour)
cover with water plus a squirt of ketchup or tomato sauce
spice with salt, pepper, garlic, paprika

ChaviD

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 1:30 pm
Thank you!

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 1:43 pm
I do Bush's or Heinz's vegatarian baked beans in mine-- no other seasoning needed.

potatoes, baked beans from a can, carrots, beef (I brown the beef BEFORE putting it in the crock pot).

boom, easy peasy.

supermama2

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 1:55 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
I do Bush's or Heinz's vegatarian baked beans in mine-- no other seasoning needed.

potatoes, baked beans from a can, carrots, beef (I brown the beef BEFORE putting it in the crock pot).

boom, easy peasy.

Ohh I might have to try that one!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 8:06 pm
If you want an exact recipe, down to the exact amount of spices to put in, let me know. I have this delicious recipe that is from KBD with a few changes that I made.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 8:14 pm
Chavi, you can't go wrong with any recipe you find in the purple spice and spirit. They are delicious and foolproof. I'm sure there will be a few good cholent recipes available there.

I make:

1 c barley
1/2 dried chick peas
8 cloves garlic
2 whole carrots, peeled, cut off ends
8 c water
1 lb. meat (we like cheek meat, but lots of other cuts work too)
1 tbs salt
1 tsp pepper

turn on by 1:30 on high setting
change to low setting just before lighting candles

eat 12:00

The garlic cloves are soooo mellow and yummy, not at all spicy. The whole house has a yummy garlicy smell for Shabbos. Use fewer if you don't like the garlic flavor.

mlc

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 12:39 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If you want an exact recipe, down to the exact amount of spices to put in, let me know. I have this delicious recipe that is from KBD with a few changes that I made.

This is a dead thread but I am trying my luck because all your other recipes from imamother have been incredible Smile

Can you please post your cholent recipe?

TIA!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 12:58 pm
mlc wrote:
This is a dead thread but I am trying my luck because all your other recipes from imamother have been incredible Smile

Can you please post your cholent recipe?

TIA!

This is the recipe I referenced, minus the oats.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus