Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Roasted Root Vegetables with Spicy Pecan Topping

Amarante

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 4:03 pm
The spicy pecan topping elevated a fairly basic roasted vegetable dish and wasn't difficult to make especially since it can be made ahead of time.

I added parsnips because I do love roasted parsnips.

The whole dish can be made ahead since it is delicious at room temperature - ask me how I know. Cool

Roasted Root Vegetables with Spicy Pecan Topping

Excerpt From: The Editors of Southern Living -- Southern Living Best Fall Recipes

ACTIVE 25 MIN.
TOTAL 1 HOUR, 15 MIN.
SERVES 8

SPICY PECAN TOPPING

2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 cup pecan halves
½ tsp. chili powder
¼ tsp. smoked paprika
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
½ tsp. kosher salt

ROASTED ROOT VEGETABLES

1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (3 ¼ cups)
¾ lb. golden beets (about 2 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch wedges (2 ½ cups)
¾ lb. carrots (about 3 large), peeled and cut diagonally into 1 ½-inch pieces (2 cups)
5 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 ¾ tsp. kosher salt, divided
1 tsp. black pepper, divided
¾ lb. red beets (about 2 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch wedges (2 ½ cups)
1 medium-size red onion, cut into 8 wedges with root intact
6 thyme sprigs, plus leaves for garnish

1. Prepare Spicy Pecan Topping: Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine syrup and butter in a medium microwavable bowl; microwave on HIGH until butter melts, about 45 seconds. Stir in pecans, chili powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, and salt. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 8 minutes. Stir mixture; bake until toasted, 4 to 6 more minutes. Remove from oven, and increase oven temperature to 450°F. Cool completely on baking sheet, about 30 minutes.

2. Prepare Roasted Root Vegetables: Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine sweet potatoes, golden beets, and carrots in a large bowl. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the oil, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the salt and ½ teaspoon of the black pepper. Toss well to combine. Spread mixture in a single layer on 1 baking sheet.

3. Combine red beets and red onion in same large bowl. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil, and sprinkle with remaining ¾ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Toss well to combine. Spread mixture in a single layer on second baking sheet.

4. Bake vegetables at 450°F for 20 minutes. Remove baking sheets from oven; stir vegetables. Tuck 4 thyme sprigs into orange vegetables and 2 thyme sprigs into red vegetables. Rotate baking sheets between top and bottom racks. Bake at 450°F until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.

5. Transfer vegetables to a serving bowl; gently toss together. Coarsely chop pecan topping. Sprinkle topping and thyme leaves over vegetables before serving warm or at room temperature.

israelmama

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 4:05 pm
This looks amazing- thank you for sharing!

penguin

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 4:30 pm
Can I leave out the maple syrup? Why am I asking this question, root vegetable raise my sugar too much with nothing on them...

Amarante

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 4:32 pm
penguin wrote:
Can I leave out the maple syrup? Why am I asking this question, root vegetable raise my sugar too much with nothing on them...

You con do anything you want Very Happy but the nuts wouldn't have the same texture and flavor without some kind of sweetener. It is only 2 tablespoons for 8 servings which is a very small amount.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics