Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Stress free moving-tips?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 4:37 pm
Frumme wrote:
I know others have said to declutter as you pack, but I really don't recommend it. You will take 3x the time to pack and it will be more stressful and exhausting. Decluttering can be emotionally draining and you need your head in the game during a move as much as possible.

If you can, start decluttering a good month or three before you move. Put everything away nicely. Then after everything is decluttered and neatly stored, when it's time to pack for the move you will have a much more relaxed atmosphere when packing than if you were decluttering as well as packing. It'll still be a little stressful, of course, but it's a good feeling to know that everything in your cabinets is what you actually want to take with you into your new home. Smile

Thanks for saying that. I know I shouldn't declutter bec. it will take so much time and the combination of small decisions will create added decision fatigue..but so many ppl were writing it...it's hard not to declutter cuz it feels so dumb to pack extra..but really I could declutter in a year and we are moving to a larger house B''H and yes, I need to save all my energy.

HeartyAppetite

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 5:01 pm
Also if you have a baby or young kids consider getting a babysitter to watch them the Dayton move so you can unpack. Even the next day if you still have a lot to unpack take a babysitter and cleaning lady to help you.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 5:15 pm
Gorilla bins
https://www.gorillabins.com/

They deliver and pick up. No tape needed. Strong boxes, we put seforim in the smallest ones

mommy12

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 5:21 pm
We literally wrapped up our dresser drawers with everything in them. Hanging stuff we just poked a hole in large garbage bags for the hangers and tied the bottom of the bags. Seforim went in rolling suitcases.

Like others said, we labeled the boxes with color coded stickers. I numbered the boxes and kept a list of what was in each one.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics