Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Mask question about schools
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 11:29 am
While many schools require the kids to wear masks, there are many that don’t.
I’ve yet to hear a Covid breakout in the schools that didn’t wear masks.
The only time I’ve heard about them spreading in MASKED schools, was when some students returned from abroad and got sick on their trip.
And I guess the masks didn’t help them there at all.
So why the continuous cruelty of covering kids noses and mouth for hours?
Where’s the logic to that?

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 11:36 am
I, in fact, do know kids who got covid in unmasked schools. My teenage neighbor just came home from the hospital on oxygen. Her siblings, some of whom are positive, are still attending school.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 11:38 am
If they aren't wearing masks or keeping other mandated protocols, it's possible that they aren't reporting covid cases either or enforcing quarantining rules among students and staff.

It's not clear whether the lack of 'cases' or 'outbreaks' is real or simply to due to a lack of data, which, if collected, would indicate otherwise.

Also, my kids have been in masks all school year and aren't traumatized.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 11:39 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I, in fact, do know kids who got covid in unmasked schools. My teenage neighbor just came home from the hospital on oxygen. Her siblings, some of whom are positive, are still attending school.

Of course kids can still get sick, but they can pick it up anywhere.
You don’t know that they picked it up in school.
Logic says they didn’t because if they would, the schools would be full of Covid kids, which they are not.

tichellady

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 11:40 am
The only cases of covid spreading in a classroom I have heard about all involved schools/daycares where masks aren’t worn.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 11:46 am
I have no idea where you're getting your 'facts' from but they are not correct. The principal of a huge in-town school with no precautions is very candid about the cases running through her school, though many aren't tested or reported. She told me that when a child or teacher reports a positive she knows to expect others in the classroom to be out sick or in school coughing. Yes, she's terrified of who it may spread to, and no, she is not in control of how her school chooses (not) to adhere to Covid precautions.

Another school, with strict precautions, has had several cases, but ZERO school spread. And yes, they KNOW because any 'exposed' class (though they're all masked) is quarantined and tested before returning to school. ZERO school spread!

Are masks foolproof? No. Do they clearly make a difference in the school setting? Oh, yeah.

And I suggest you speak with kids whose schools have proper masking policies. The many that I know are totally fine with it, starting with the 5 year-olds.

Bleemee

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 11:47 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Her siblings went back to school after testing positive? They told this to people?

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 11:51 am
Yes, people know. Her kids have classmates positive and are attending school since they feel relatively fine. Unfortunately people have gotten lax

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 1:20 pm
We've had no instances of in-school spread in our school which requires masking for the 3 year old class and up, except for one time between two adult staff members who were using the building at a time when kids weren't even there.

Students are quarantined and most get tested whenever there's been a positive case, so we would probably have discovered if additional cases were spreading.

The youngest kids are sloppier with their mask wearing, but I've heard from teachers that they have taken very easily to it.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 1:35 pm
I have children in both schools that mask and schools that don’t (in the same community/neighborhood). There’s been several cases of corona spreading from one student to another in the school that is less careful with masks and no cases of that happening in the school that is very strict about masks.

Kids (mine at least), are young and resilient and don’t seem to mind wearing masks at all. I have a lot harder of a time with it than they do!

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 1:59 pm
It is not only masks. A student walked in late to class on friday after 3 day absence and said her family had been away. I asked if she was tested. She said no. We sent her home.

little neshamala

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 2:18 pm
My elememtary school kids have been wearing masks at school all day with no issues. They adapted easily.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 2:41 pm
I kept my kids home because one DC tested positive. DC2 was threatened with expulsion if s/he didn't return to school before legally mandated quarantine was over.

I was criticized for testing in the first place.

The Covid-is-over-and-masks-are-for-nonjews schools are not testing. There is rampant Covid but no data.

And the requests for tfilos keep coming.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 2:59 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I have children in both schools that mask and schools that don’t (in the same community/neighborhood). There’s been several cases of corona spreading from one student to another in the school that is less careful with masks and no cases of that happening in the school that is very strict about masks.

Kids (mine at least), are young and resilient and don’t seem to mind wearing masks at all. I have a lot harder of a time with it than they do!

I am so sorry the school is putting your family in that position. It is so wrong. I have no words.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 3:07 pm
Look, the masks aren't going to be on perfectly the whole time. But the schools that are masking are also keeping the kids in class bubbles, I.e. no whole school assemblies or maybe not even getting together with parallel grades. So there are other factors.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 3:44 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I am so sorry the school is putting your family in that position. It is so wrong. I have no words.

Huh? I’m the poster you responded to but I can’t figure out what position the school put me in that you are so sorry for and that is “so wrong.” Please explain

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 3:46 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Huh? I’m the poster you responded to but I can’t figure out what position the school put me in that you are so sorry for and that is “so wrong.” Please explain

I think she meant to respond to Firebrick's post, but quoted yours by mistake.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 4:38 pm
A tale of 2 schools in my city.
One is strict on masks. Teachers and students. Plus plastic desk guards so while they sit at their desk there is even less chance to spread it. They keep classes apart as much as possible etc. no major outbreak. I think only 1 family got it (likely outside of school) so their kids' classes were sent home. But no in school spread. I send here.

The other school just paid lip service to guidelines. Class after class was sent home. My friend who sends here said that each kid of hers was home at some point due to classmates having CV19.

Masks work. Wear them to protect everyone around you.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 4:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
While many schools require the kids to wear masks, there are many that don’t.
I’ve yet to hear a Covid breakout in the schools that didn’t wear masks.
The only time I’ve heard about them spreading in MASKED schools, was when some students returned from abroad and got sick on their trip.
And I guess the masks didn’t help them there at all.
So why the continuous cruelty of covering kids noses and mouth for hours?
Where’s the logic to that?

Your question is: "Why the continuous cruelty of covering kids noses and mouth for hours?"
My question is: You knew the rules before your kids started in September so why did you send to that school? Why don't you move them to a no mask school?

I work in several frum schools and I send my own kids to 3 different frum schools and I will tell you from first hand experience that schools who mask religiously have very few cases of Covid.

In schools with no masking and mixing of pods many students and parents have been sick since October. Another trend I've noticed is that in schools where masking is non-existent or a joke, many parents send in sick kids who can't contain their mucus. I'm constantly amazed that frum parents think it's OK to send in young kids who are sneezing, runny nose or coughing during a pandemic. In the non-jewish schools that I'm in I have not seen even one sick kid since September.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 5:18 pm
I would hardly say masking kids is cruel. My kids wear masks in school and are the same happy kids they were last year. No school spread of the virus BH. Any time someone is positive, the entire class must quarantine and get tested. It’s only had to happen twice since September.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics