Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
THIS IS WE: A show of care A show of love. A show of support

Yael

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 2:18 pm
My twin and I share a lot of things. But not everything.

I’m Shua, and I’m nine. My twin Eli and I share clothes, balls, and bags of chips. But we don’t share doctors, or teachers, or books. That’s because I have cerebral palsy, and Eli doesn’t. That means he goes to a regular Yeshiva, but a special handicap bus takes me to my special school every day. And when strangers can’t understand my words and keep saying “What? What?” Eli steps in and repeats the sentence more clearly.

Sometimes, I wish I had what Eli has. I want to read big boy books and hit baseballs across the lawn. I want to ride a bike down the hill and dive into the pool at my aunt’s house. And I don’t want people to stare at me or talk to me funny.

But there’s one awesome thing I have that Eli doesn’t. I get to go to Camp HASC every summer. And for those two months, I do all the fun stuff I dream about all year. My counselors treat me like a best friend, and their hugs make everything I’m missing disappear.

My mother says there’s a special sparkle in my eyes. Especially in the summer.

What does it mean to “melt a heart?” Because I once heard my mother say, “Duvi’s smile can melt your heart.” And my eyes have a sparkle - I know because I checked in the mirror.

Do you know what Down Syndrome is? I do. I have it.

You know how during Covid you just want to feel normal? Everything feels so different, and you just want to be free?

That’s how I feel sometimes. I’m seventeen already, and I watch big boys like me learning Gemara, getting their licenses, and going on vacation with their friends. I want that, too, but I understand that Hashem made me the way I am.

That’s why I go on Zoom with a special Rebbi every day, the same one who taught me for my Bar Mitzvah. He’s also the one who told my parents to send me to Camp HASC.

And that’s where my eyes really sparkle. I wait all year for the chance to meet my best friends, the ones who really understand me and want the best for me.

And the best part? Sometimes I learn in the morning in the Camp HASC Kollel, where I taste a bit of Gemara. It’s Geshmak!

These are the voices we share. We each march to our own drum, but the melody we create is woven of so many different experiences - and so many different triumphs. And we are all better for sharing them.

At Camp HASC, we don’t need to apologize for who we are. And we can beat the odds. It’s where everyone belongs. And everyone finds a special piece of themselves. This is we.

Some people call it magic. We call it HASC.

Join us at a Time for Music 34 on February 14, for the first time ever the HASC concert is FREE! This action-packed livestream’s swiveling lights, rolling drums and sheer musical wonder will captivate and enthrall. The much-anticipated annual concert emerges under unique circumstances. But Camp HASC has never been fazed by adversity, rising to the occasion in an incredible way, against all odds.

PLUS! This year, Camp HASC presents an all-new phenomenon: “This Is We” the Halftime Show at A Time for Music 34, brought to you with impeccable choreography, meaningful lyrics, designed to leave a powerful, emotional impression. Featuring Shulem Lemmer, Eli Schwebel and the Camp HASC campers. A presentation which will captivate and enthrall while ensuring another magical summer for the grateful campers and families of Camp HASC.

Register today for access at hascconcert.com

Sponsored Post
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics