Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
S/O Teaching Left/Right

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 7:46 pm
My four year old daughter learned left/right when she was about a year old. She knew which hand/foot are right and which set are left and we've been saying Shema every night since before her first birthday. This past year she's suddenly convinced that her left hand/foot are the right ones, and vice versa. When I ask her which hand she uses for Shema, she lifts the left one and no matter what I say, I can't convince her that she's wrong. Is that normal?

southernbubby

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 12:12 am
Some of my grandchildren are left handed and a leftie is supposed to use the left hand for the shema and wash that hand first.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 4:32 am
I do have a lot of left handed family members, but this child is not.

cbsp

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 5:02 am
southernbubby wrote:
Some of my grandchildren are left handed and a leftie is supposed to use the left hand for the shema and wash that hand first.

Both my husband and I are lefties. While there are certain things we do differently, shema and washing are both still with the right hand (as per our Rov) .

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 5:24 am
After many years of teaching, I suddenly realized that the students were copying me in mirror image so my right was their left for shma and lighting Chanuka candles. I trained myself to do it opposite so that they did it correctly as mirror image to me. We also sang the words: "Right hand up, all the way up. Bring it down and cover your eyes.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 6:36 am
cbsp wrote:
Both my husband and I are lefties. While there are certain things we do differently, shema and washing are both still with the right hand (as per our Rov) .

Yep, another leftie here and I learnt the same. Mitzvos like tefillin, lulav etc are done with the persons dominant hand, but shema and washing has different reasoning behind it. Btw to be considered a leftie in halacha isn't perfectly straightforward. There has to be a certain amount of specific things that only the left hand can do-like writing, cutting etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers