Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Mask question about schools
Previous  1  2

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 2:19 pm
DD’s school has no masks (or any other precautions) and they have on-and-off waves of outbreaks. They are just ignored and not reported anywhere - so you don’t hear about them. I wish they would require masks, and DD is willing to comply - but she’s not willing to be the only one . . .

Masks can be gotten used to. They are not cruelty. Cruelty is passing along a virus that gets others sick. . .

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 5:04 pm
My kids are in the school that take precautions and they are a bit over the top but it works . Every morning we have a checklist of different symptoms so we're always very aware of our health. If anyone in your family in the school or not in the school has any symptoms everyone stays home. It's definitely a big pain but it really helps keep the spread out of school. There have been cases of covid but most of it comes from outside school and and with these precaution it's not really spreading in the classrooms. We are so very lucky that my school has a very good hybrid program where the kids who are home simply because someone has a cold in their house ( or actually in quarantine because they were exposed to covid or have covid) can still log into class and be part of the school day and get all their work. Usually there is more than one child on zoom per class a day sometimes they are none. There's another school in my area it does not quarantine a class very quickly and there is spread within the classroom . Out of all my kids only one of my kids have had the class shut down and they were all distance learning. No one else in that class got sick. My kids on their own have stayed home a bunch of times just because of things going on in our house . My kids were masks in school they deal with it they don't complain as much as some of the adults here do. They're happy to be in school they're happy to be around friends yes they want all this to be over as we all do but bh school is still open and I hope it remains that way.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 6:22 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Look, the masks aren't going to be on perfectly the whole time. But the schools that are masking are also keeping the kids in class bubbles, I.e. no whole school assemblies or maybe not even getting together with parallel grades. So there are other factors.

Correct. And these schools will also require kids testing after coming back from vacation and not let them back without one.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 6:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
While many schools require the kids to wear masks, there are many that don’t.
I’ve yet to hear a Covid breakout in the schools that didn’t wear masks.
The only time I’ve heard about them spreading in MASKED schools, was when some students returned from abroad and got sick on their trip.
And I guess the masks didn’t help them there at all.
So why the continuous cruelty of covering kids noses and mouth for hours?
Where’s the logic to that?

Wholeheartedly agree with you, op.
I have 1 child in a school with very strict guidelines, wearing masks all day long. Another child in a school with no masks. The strict school has had many positive cases and many many class closures. However, most of those cases are not spread in school- because it’s been proven that young children (Under 12) are unlikely to spread to each other. So basically, the masks accomplish nothing. Except diminishing our children’s dignity and social development.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 7:01 pm
Masks are annoying but what can we do, it helps contain the spread even if not 100%. At least we can keep schools open and even if people catch covid at least the viral load is smaller because of mask wearing.

LittleDucky

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 11:50 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Wholeheartedly agree with you, op.
I have 1 child in a school with very strict guidelines, wearing masks all day long. Another child in a school with no masks. The strict school has had many positive cases and many many class closures. However, most of those cases are not spread in school- because it’s been proven that young children (Under 12) are unlikely to spread to each other. So basically, the masks accomplish nothing. Except diminishing our children’s dignity and social development.

But are the no mask schools reporting cases? Are families who send there getting tested? How do they know they have no cases? They could have cases in every class but because the kids don't have pre-existing conditions (since those parents would likely take extra precautions if their kid takes anti rejection meds for a transplant, are on chemo etc) and the kids are obviously not elderly- they have no idea they have and are spreading covid. Anyone who got sick from them doesn't know the source.

If you don't test, you don't know. And many schools/individuals are advising people to not test so that classes aren't shut down.

Oh, and what about no mask schools that have kids older than 12? That is every 6-8th grade class. And high school. So what, 5th grade is mask free but 6th is strict? Most no mask schools are entirely no mask. Including teachers/staff who might wear it below their nose. And those schools didn't require testing... So back to my original point. How do you know they had no cases?

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 8:26 am
LittleDucky wrote:
But are the no mask schools reporting cases? Are families who send there getting tested? How do they know they have no cases? They could have cases in every class but because the kids don't have pre-existing conditions (since those parents would likely take extra precautions if their kid takes anti rejection meds for a transplant, are on chemo etc) and the kids are obviously not elderly- they have no idea they have and are spreading covid. Anyone who got sick from them doesn't know the source.

If you don't test, you don't know. And many schools/individuals are advising people to not test so that classes aren't shut down.

Oh, and what about no mask schools that have kids older than 12? That is every 6-8th grade class. And high school. So what, 5th grade is mask free but 6th is strict? Most no mask schools are entirely no mask. Including teachers/staff who might wear it below their nose. And those schools didn't require testing... So back to my original point. How do you know they had no cases?

Sorry- I should have been more clear in my post. I didn’t mean to imply the non-mask school has had no cases. That is not true; they have had some. And yes, people in the non-mask school are testing and reporting.
My point is- the spread DOES NOT occur in school. It primarily occurs at home; MOST CHILDREN ARE INFECTED BY THEIR PARENTS.
Due your proper research; even left wing publications are now admitting that lack of significant spread in the schools.
And I have seen this firsthand, because every time my child has to quarantine due to a classmate who tested positive, NONE of the kid’s classmates then tested positive.
Therefore, if children are unlikely to spread to others, and if masks don’t have a significant impact in decreasing the numbers, then why in heavens’ name are we forcing this on our children??? And when will we stop? Soon they want to start double masking... will we force our children to wear two masks? Three? How about duct-taping their mouths shut?

LittleDucky

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 9:07 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Sorry- I should have been more clear in my post. I didn’t mean to imply the non-mask school has had no cases. That is not true; they have had some. And yes, people in the non-mask school are testing and reporting.
My point is- the spread DOES NOT occur in school. It primarily occurs at home; MOST CHILDREN ARE INFECTED BY THEIR PARENTS.
Due your proper research; even left wing publications are now admitting that lack of significant spread in the schools.
And I have seen this firsthand, because every time my child has to quarantine due to a classmate who tested positive, NONE of the kid’s classmates then tested positive.
Therefore, if children are unlikely to spread to others, and if masks don’t have a significant impact in decreasing the numbers, then why in heavens’ name are we forcing this on our children??? And when will we stop? Soon they want to start double masking... will we force our children to wear two masks? Three? How about duct-taping their mouths shut?

I know school spread amongst younger kids is minimal. But middle school and high school have higher rates of transmission. High school is the same as adults. What do schools do about the older grades? What about teachers? If parents can give to kids, a teacher standing over a desk and breathing on a kid can transmit it as well. And while your non mask school tests, many do not. So they don't know.
It also depends on the entire school policy. Masks are one component. Do they have massive school assemblies? Performances? Two or more classes together for an activity? Are they strict about sending symptomatic kids home?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics