Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
What kind of name is ”mamelah”?
Previous  1  2  3

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 9:07 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
All names were "made up" at some point, what's your point? Esther was ancient Persian, now it's mainstream. Moshe was Egyptian, totally legit. ANYTHING Yiddish was within the last few hundred years - MAYBE 1000, you're going to tell all the Faigas and Berels and Shaindels and Zissels and Mendels that their names aren't real? OK, go ahead.

I know a few Mamalas. Most of the ones I know are related to each other, and then there are a few who are not related to that first bunch but are related to each other, obviously named after a common ancestor. The name seems to have originated in Poland. The meaning does seem based on "Mama." How it became a name is pretty much anyone's guess as far as I can tell. I've heard something about wanting to name a child after one's mother but for whatever reason couldn't or wouldn't give the actual name.

Maybe same family as my cousin... She has 2 cousins with same middle name

trixx

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 9:32 pm
If anyone would know - it would be in Alexander Beider dictionary of Ashkenazic given names.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 11:01 pm
Just realized in addition to the two Mamala clans I know, I also know a family with more than one cousin Momtzi, and they said it is the same kind of name as Mamala.

Surprised nobody's mentioning the boy name Abba. I know a few men or boys with the name Abba. Always thought it a little awkward. I mean even Mamala is not the same thing as having to call your friend or neighbor "Mom."

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 11:47 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:

Surprised nobody's mentioning the boy name Abba. I know a few men or boys with the name Abba. Always thought it a little awkward. I mean even Mamala is not the same thing as having to call your friend or neighbor "Mom."

I also know some Abbas, but they're all together with another name, never alone.

Interestingly they're all chassidish.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 11:57 pm
In satmar wmsbg there used to be a Principal mamel lichter. I think girls thought she was named mamel as mom to them. Her einiklech are named after her, including the ones who live in skver

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 4:12 am
Fascinating thread!
Mamela is my middle name. I am named after my grandmother. It was her only name and she hated it- called herself Mina. My name actually means “beloved mother” and it’s very fitting bec I am named for my mother’s beloved mother. I have 3 cousins with the same name as me. Growing up I hid the fact that it was my name bec it was so unusual.
When teachers would use it as an endearment I was shocked! How did you know my name I would ask? Poor teachers were so confused....

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 4:54 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
In satmar wmsbg there used to be a Principal mamel lichter. I think girls thought she was named mamel as mom to them. Her einiklech are named after her, including the ones who live in skver

She was a tzadeikes. A holy Neshama. And the way she cared for each child like they're the one and only was beyond. She was a holy woman who loved Hashem and loved every Jew, and especially loved the girls she was in charge of.
I'm sure her grandchildren proudly name after her.
I'm too young to really remember her but my family lived next to her and I think people came to her for Brochos.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 5:21 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Fascinating thread!
Mamela is my middle name. I am named after my grandmother. It was her only name and she hated it- called herself Mina. My name actually means “beloved mother” and it’s very fitting bec I am named for my mother’s beloved mother. I have 3 cousins with the same name as me. Growing up I hid the fact that it was my name bec it was so unusual.
When teachers would use it as an endearment I was shocked! How did you know my name I would ask? Poor teachers were so confused....

If that would have been your only name, your kids would call you by your name.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 5:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My grandmother herself went by a different name and that is what is written in my birth certificate. She asked that no one be named after her bec it is such an unusual name. My mother was beyond happy to have me within two years of her passing away. At that point she was already older and especially as it was over 30 years ago it was a big Bracha. I don’t mind my name- my grandmother was a special person it is just different and not the name I am called by.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 8:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I have never called my mother "Mamala." I called her Mommy and Mom. Others use Ima. I have never heard anyone call their actual mother "Mamala." It's more of something that mothers and grandmothers call their kids.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names