Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Both spouses working full time
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 12:18 pm
Im starting a job working until 7pm.
Dh works until 6pm.
Our kids are older so no child care needed.
How do you divvy up chores and when do you get to everything that needs to be done.
We have a fleishig dishwasher, so thats a big help.
Everyone pretty much does their own laundry.
When do you all cook meals? Go shopping? Everything and anything else?
How do you manage? Until now Ive been home for the last few years.
Its going to be a crazy change. For me, and for all of us.
Tell me how you make it work.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 12:20 pm
Having older kids is huge. There are actually tons of threads about this. We do laundry on Saturday night and I try to cook for the week on Sunday

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 12:22 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Having older kids is huge. There are actually tons of threads about this. We do laundry on Saturday night and I try to cook for the week on Sunday
I would love to cook on sunday but we live in Israel, so thats a non starter unfortunately Sad

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 12:28 pm
A big help is to make a meal plan motzai shabbos and shop for everything Sunday.
Do you have a little time in the morning to cook essentials for supper and then deal with sides when you get home.
Sunday is also laundry day.
Friday alot of cleaning gets done but I dont know your Friday work schedule.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 3:14 pm
A day has a front end and a back end and they're equally useful. If you work till 7, I assume you don't start till 11 a.m. or so. Pretend you start work at 7 or 8 or 9, get up at 5 or 6 or 7, and start doing your cooking or housework or whatever. Not vacuuming or running the washer, of course, which would obviously disturb both your family and the neighbors, but there's no reason you can't sort, fold or iron laundry, dust furniture, mop floors, wash, peel, cut and marinate vegetables, put up a pot of soup or just prepare it all and put it in the fridge to be put on the stove later in the day, by you or someone else. You could even make bread dough and put it in the fridge to rise and be baked when you get back home.

And since you've grown children, they should have regular assigned household duties.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 3:19 pm
Email order on Wednesday for shabbos food and enough food to last through next week Tuesday.

Prepare dinners raw and freeze. Pull out frozen raw food in the morning and set the oven to delay start. Food will thaw during the day and then go on an hour or two before kids come home. Food will be hot and ready to serve in time.

Appointments made for early AM before work and maybe you'll have to come late to work once a month something like that.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 3:34 pm
Are big kids big enough to put dinner in the oven? My mom used to prepare dinner and then leave a note with directions of when and how to cook it. Everyone knew to check the note when they got home and follow the directions for the 2 minutes it took. Alternatively, each kid gets a night to make dinner.

I also cook doubles and freeze the extras.

SacN

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 5:45 pm
Quote:
I would love to cook on sunday but we live in Israel, so thats a non starter unfortunately

Even easier. Cook on Friday when you're cooking for shabbos anyway. I always make extra pasta salad, a big soup, hard boiled eggs, schnitzel, etc that can be eaten through the week. Leftover chicken isn't popular, but lots of other foods aren't really leftover. I always have pizza dough in the freezer - takes me ten minutes on a Friday.

I have a robot vacuum, which helps a lot, and I do a load of laundry daily.

It's an adjustment, but you can make it work! With everyone out, there's also less mess.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 5:49 pm
Shop once a week and always get some backup items in case you don't have time to cook for shabbos, like ready kugel, challot, dips.
Make doctor and dental appointments next to your work and go during lunch break.

ysydmom

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 6:50 pm
I do as follows: Dishes in the morning at around 6AM since I have to wake ds for school anyway, laundry is either Sunday or Tuesday morning. I sweep at night and organize some rooms at night after work. Shopping DH does after work on Wednesday or Thursday and I do some during my lunch break. Cleaning the house happens on Friday we all work together. I use paper goods a lot instead of cleaning help since it's cheaper Smile. Sometimes I will work on specific house areas on Sunday or even Motzei Shabbos. Somehow we muddle through the week. It's not easy but it's doable and you have to let certain things slide.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 7:10 pm
No kids yet some I’m younger but we both work like 9 hours a day ans DH also has commute and shiur. It is very very very hard and I struggle a lot but somehow things get done. Very important to have your husbands support in this new job as he will need to pitch in more. We don’t do any mathematical calculations to divide the work. I’m the head of housekeeping and I keep track of what needs to happen - when we need to shop, what needs to be cleaned over the next few days etc. I am home longer hours so I do the bulk of the work but ask DH to do specific tasks. And bottom line is that if he complains that the house is messy he needs to clean it lol. And also if he is playing games while I am cleaning that’s a no no as well. We are a team!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 12:38 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
A big help is to make a meal plan motzai shabbos and shop for everything Sunday.
Do you have a little time in the morning to cook essentials for supper and then deal with sides when you get home.
Sunday is also laundry day.
Friday alot of cleaning gets done but I dont know your Friday work schedule.
As I mentioned above, Im in Israel, so no sundays. Just fridays. And no, I will not have time in the morning to cook anything Sad

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 12:42 am
SacN wrote:
Quote:
I would love to cook on sunday but we live in Israel, so thats a non starter unfortunately

Even easier. Cook on Friday when you're cooking for shabbos anyway. I always make extra pasta salad, a big soup, hard boiled eggs, schnitzel, etc that can be eaten through the week. Leftover chicken isn't popular, but lots of other foods aren't really leftover. I always have pizza dough in the freezer - takes me ten minutes on a Friday.

I have a robot vacuum, which helps a lot, and I do a load of laundry daily.

It's an adjustment, but you can make it work! With everyone out, there's also less mess.
This is actually brilliant Smile thank you. I will try it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 12:43 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Shop once a week and always get some backup items in case you don't have time to cook for shabbos, like ready kugel, challot, dips.
Make doctor and dental appointments next to your work and go during lunch break.
I wont have a long lunch break and will be working in a different city to all of our things I may need appointments for (doc, dentist, or anything like that.)

kalsee

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 1:05 am
OP it is an adjustment and will take time to build a routine, but IME a routine is the main thing that will make life easier.

There was a time that I cooked on Thursday nights and Fridays for Shabbos and the whole week. I made all the main dishes, and then just made salad/side every evening when I got home.
I don't do it anymore (I get home early enough to make supper when I get home), but it worked well for a long time.

With older kids, they should definitely have regular chores to tidy up, fold laundry, wash dishes. Husbands work full time and also need to find time to learn Torah, so household chores are trickier, but depending on personalities- some like to shop, some enjoy cleaning up, etc, whatever works.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 1:14 am
kalsee wrote:
OP it is an adjustment and will take time to build a routine, but IME a routine is the main thing that will make life easier.

There was a time that I cooked on Thursday nights and Fridays for Shabbos and the whole week. I made all the main dishes, and then just made salad/side every evening when I got home.
I don't do it anymore (I get home early enough to make supper when I get home), but it worked well for a long time.

With older kids, they should definitely have regular chores to tidy up, fold laundry, wash dishes. Husbands work full time and also need to find time to learn Torah, so household chores are trickier, but depending on personalities- some like to shop, some enjoy cleaning up, etc, whatever works.
No, not in our house, not trickier, thankfully. My husband has his weekly shiur and thats that. And he already has his things that he already does, so Im not to worried, thankfully.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 1:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wont have a long lunch break and will be working in a different city to all of our things I may need appointments for (doc, dentist, or anything like that.)

You can make appointments for doctors and dentists for yourself in any city in Israel.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 1:22 am
LovesHashem wrote:
You can make appointments for doctors and dentists for yourself in any city in Israel.
Im talking about my GP and regular dentist (just from her specific examples) My GP is in my city, not where I will be working, thats all.

kalsee

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 1:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No, not in our house, not trickier, thankfully. My husband has his weekly shiur and thats that. And he already has his things that he already does, so Im not to worried, thankfully.

He has the things he did until now, and you were home and more available.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 1:41 am
kalsee wrote:
He has the things he did until now, and you were home and more available.
Not sure what your reply is trying to say.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics